Topic

lightest camp shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightest camp shoes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I want camp shoes! Is there anything lighter than my beloved crocs? Do I have to go to stores and start weighing flip flops? I'm not going hiking in them, I'm just going to walk around camp.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I want camp shoes!
    Why?
    What's the matter with slipping your joggers back on without socks for brief excursions?

Cheers

royo royo
    Spectator

@carbonbl

Locale: PNW

You could make some huaraches. Plenty of instructions on the internet and easy to improvise with different materials to make them lighter or sturdier to your preference.

Nathan F
    BPL Member

@nathan-f

Check out the custom made feather sandles at unshoesusa.com. I recently purchased these and am very happy with them.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

That is exactly what I want, except made out of bike tires.

Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

Locale: Santa Barbara, CA

If you want something more shoe/croc-like, take a look at the Vivo Barefoot Ultra Pure's. Pull out the unnecessary tongue and you've got a super comfortable camp shoe at 7oz. Very stable rock hopping and creek crossing shoe. I really like mine.

J K
    Spectator

@jnk

Locale: PNW

+1 on the Vivo shoes. My wife even hikes in them. She loves them.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Flip flops are cheap and minimal. although I have to agree with Roger on just wearing your shoes in camp. I want a light shoe I can do stream crossings with and possibly wear in camp. Other than the cost, the Vivo's mentioned are on my wish list.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Check out the custom made feather sandles at unshoesusa.com. I recently purchased these and am very happy with them.

Nice looking sandals but the site says that they average about 8 oz ea. I was hoping for something a bit lighter by half.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving
    Hikin' Jim's Blog

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

About the same weight as regular Crocs, but you could hike and cross streams in these (regular Crocs are VERY unstable when they get wet — don't ask me how I know).
    x

Edited to add — I have very, very sensitive feet, and the Vivos were torture for me; I felt every twig. If your feet are tough, they are a good choice, and about an ounce/pair lighter.

2nd Edit to add weight: 9.6oz per pair for a Men's 7, equivalent to a women's 8.5 (that's my size – I have no idea how much extra for a men's 13).

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

If you really want a camp shoe, check out the Teva Mush. It's a flip-flop with a soft foam padded surface. It feels wonderful when you have sore feet. My men's 11 weigh 3.3 oz each, I think they are actually lighter than regular flip-flops, and infinitely more comfortable.

Justin Miller
    BPL Member

@jrmoose

Locale: Midwest

Check out some of the options by Bedrock Sandals and Luna Sandals. Both make huarache sandals with a rubber footbed and minimal webbing. They are often around the 4-4.5 oz range per sandal depending upon model and size. I believe they quote weight based upon size 9 or 10. Luna has a pseudo slipper that is only 1.5 oz per slipper but believe that is only fabric on the bottom.

Also, Teva has a soft flipflop called the Mush that is my go to house shoe. You can find them at REI, they are cheap and I just weighed my size 12 at 3.8 oz per shoe.

EDIT: After reading Ralph's post above (that dropped in while I was typing mine), I'm now curious if my scale is off or if one of our Tevas are different. Can't see half an ounce difference in one size. Curious if mine have absorbed extra moisture over the past few months from my sweaty feet…

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

My husband has a pair of Teva Mush flipflops. I have Mush jealousy. His don't come backpacking very often–a little too luxe–but wow are they comfortable. I wear them around the house even though they're two sizes so big. Which is ridiculous, because they're cheap and I could just have a pair of my own.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains
    Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Mine are years old, tread is pretty worn, it could account for a little bit. Or maybe the design changed slightly over the years.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

I went through this same quest last year. I bought some vivobarefoot ultras. I loved them but they were a bit heavy for my taste at 8oz total for the pair. I wear a 10.5/11 and found some cheap flip flops at the 99 cent store. Not for water crossings but perfect around camp. Because they're cheap, they only weigh 2.7oz total for the pair. Hard to beat and a lot more substantial than the Sprint Aquatic shoes.

”V” (CzechClown)
    BPL Member

@czechclown

My vote is for "Bedrock" GABBRO – ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT SANDALS.

John Davis
    BPL Member

@jcd

Locale: Southeast

My go to are the Vivo ultras. Light, packable, and great for water crossings

Holocene .
    Spectator

@holocene

Locale: Georgia

I'm in the same boat. Every time I print out my gear list my 8.55 oz walmart knockoff crocks are lookin at me all funny like o_O
    But I can't seem to crack the sock/sandle toe thong riddle. plus I like the sides keeping the leaves and debris out around camp.
    …1st world problems…

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I'd also just get back into my hiking shoes, loosen the laces for easy in and out and to have them dry better in case they are wet.
    If you really don't want to wear them naked, I'd rather bring an extra pair of thin socks just for that purpose than another pair of shoes for camp.

Otherwise yes, I'd MYOG some minimal sandals.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

I purchased some Xero Shoes specifically to fill the camp shoe/water shoe void, but at roughly 5 ounces each they aren't exactly zero. I'm actually considering taking a very thin pair of liner socks and buying a can of spray-on pickup truck bed-liner from the auto parts store and spraying a coating while on my feet. We'll see if it works…

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

Locale: La Sierra Gorda

Sounds like you're looking for something like Sand Socks. While I haven't used them for camp shoes, I have considered the idea. I bought a pair for running an ultra on a beach, but had to cancel going to the race due to a conflict. Check these out: http://www.sandsocks.org/#

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Sockwa X8. My size 13s weigh 7.5 oz for the pair.

That said I don't seem to pack them much anymore opting to, as others have said, simply slip my shoes back on with loose laces. If the shoes are wet I can wear a ziplock or thin plastic grocery bag over my (dry) camp socks.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Sand Socks and Sockwa… Might just be better and easier than painting my feet with truck bed liner. Just goes to show you that if you can think of it somebody is probably already doing it… Now that's a potentially scary thought!!

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Russell, Your idea may work pretty well. I did something similar with a pair of Sealskinz socks–coated the bottoms with silicone and rubbed in some sand for traction. If you use Super Feet insoles (or similar) in your regular shoes/boots you can remove these (in camp) and slide them into your camp sock "shoes". I even use mine for stream crossings.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools