Topic

Tarptent Scarp 2 (used w/out inner)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Tarptent Scarp 2 (used w/out inner)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Nothing is perfect.

I reviewed this under tarps and floorless because I mostly use my Scarp without the inner tent body and really enjoy it that way.

Usually I use just the main pole but I have used the crossing poles in winter (still without the inner) with good results.

I think that it is a versatile shelter for two. "If I had one tent" kind of tent.

First, in summer we use just the main pole and a Zpacks double cuben floor. We havent had much of a bug problem (knock on wood) since we quit taking the inner, so we have been lucky in that regard. The Scarp fits us with plenty of room for our gear and moving around. You could easily sleep 3. The venting is superb when its really hot, although it still can get hot in there. In the weather we dont worry about anything. The Scarp design is strong (assuming its pitched well).

In winter it rocks because you can make walls and stuff in the tent, organizational shelf types of things. Maybe I'm nerdy? But thats just floorless tents in general…

In winter we use the crossing poles which obviously gives it a lot more structure, but it also makes it interior a bit bigger, as it pulls the roof outwards. Since nylon stretches when it gets wet its nice to be able to pull at many points of the fabric via the crosspoles.

It can be weird getting the crossers positioned perfectly, as the poles "float". The pole tips do not reach the ground and it is possible to adjust where the poles end, which bows the poles more as it arches over the tent. I generally figure it is better to have them with some bow to it but not so much that the poles stand away from the tent body and create unnecessary drag. I dont know the science so maybe more strength is gained with highly arched poles, than drag is created.

I wish I had Eric's Scarp with his inner pole mods:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72860

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools