Topic

Closest to a Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat without being a Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Closest to a Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat without being a Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

So I took the bonnet plunge and ordered the Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat. The coverage is amazing especially for the weight. That said, man that is one ugly hat! Even my wife, who isn't in the least bit vain, thinks it's ugly as heck. That won't stop me (and maybe her) from wearing it, but I'm curious, for all you SA Adventure hat folks out there – what's the closest hat you've tried to an SA Adventure Hat that isn't as gosh darn ugly as one?

The closest I can think of is taking a Tilley-style hat (doesn't have to be Tilly-made) with a 4 in. brim and sewing a tuck-away cape to the back edge of the inside of the brim.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I agree, the coverage and light weight are fantastic. However, I don't actually think it's ugly at all. I know many people will disagree, but I think it looks fine. Maybe you'll learn to like it…?

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I think it looks like a girl's hat.

Billy

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Yup they ugly. Enough to make an onion cry.

But the doc had to cut some meat off of my neck this year so I'd better buy one.

I think the Tilley hats look kind of sharp.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I love mine. No sunblock necessary, plenty of ventilation, full coverage. A must in the desert or extended Sierra summer trips. The most comfortable sun hat I know of.

Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

I recently picked up an OR Sun Runner. Frankly, it's just another kind of ugly. It's more of a functional-ugly than dorky-ugly compared to the Sunday Afternoons hat. And functionality justifies everything, right?
    Joke aside, the hat offers superb sun protection AND can be converted into something that looks like a basecap by taking of the neck-protection-thingy when not needed.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I consider my SA bonnet to be more ultra dorky than ugly. Perhaps I'm deluding myself.

I like that I can tuck my ponytail up in it easily. On cap I need to align the back closure just so to fit around, which is a pain and doesn't always work out right.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Yep, better on us girls than guys. Check out Sun Precautions hats – some of those, while not drapey in back like the bonnet style, have very wide brims that provide good coverage. I don't find their chin straps (at least on the women's) as well placed as the Sunday Afternoons, though, so I wear them only when I want to be slightly less "bonnet-y".

The Ultra Sun Hat doesn't look TOO awful…or maybe the Ventilated Cotton Sun Hat (although the male model in that one just looks dopey no matter what he's wearing)

http://www.sunprecautions.com/shop/unisex_mens/hats

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO
    Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I have to wear sunscreen with the Adventure Hat – can't hike without it. I also have the smaller Sport version.

If I were concerned with how things look, I wouldn't go backpacking.

likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

"If I were concerned with how things look, I wouldn't go backpacking."

Well said.

function>fashion

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

deleted my dumb remarks..lol

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

If I need the protection,I hang a bandana or a sweat rag. I don't like how the brim of the SA hat blocks my vision. It usually sits in the closet.

Hiker 9
    BPL Member

@hiker9

Locale: Northern California

The thing I do not like about those type hats is that the long, low brim blocks significant parts of my upper view. Hey, we are out there to enjoy the beauty. I have a wide brimmed Tilley Airflo LTM2 that I like and recently bought an REI Sahara Outback Cape Hat which has the cape in the back. I have not used the cape yet except to try on but seems to hang well. Not sure how it will be in the wind. It has a pocket in the brim to store it in if not needed. It has a conventional wide brim. Probably a little warmer than the Tilley but have not worn it enough to really tell.

REI Hat: http://www.rei.com/product/879772/rei-sahara-outback-cape-hat

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Patagonia vented spoonbill is similar but a bit smaller, less coverage

Its cape doesnt touch neck, kind of suspends in mid air back there.hat

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Sunday Afternoons River Guide hat is a more conventional brimmed hat that is very light and gives good protection.

From there, I would look at billed caps with neck capes.

The Adventure hat excels on coverage and the neck cape doesn't hit your pack. It is profoundly ugly, but then so is skin cancer.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

The thing with the Sunday Afternoon hat is that it looks really good, dashing even, on some people and really dorky and girly on others.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

"The thing with the Sunday Afternoon hat is that it looks really good, dashing even, on some people"

Piper, thanks for that.

signed,

lover-of-awesome-words.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

"The thing with the Sunday Afternoon hat is that it looks really good, dashing even, on some people and really dorky and girly on others."

Might not be the hat.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nah— the Adventure hat is more like visual birth control. Any prospective partner would be laughing too much to complete the task ;)

Now a Tilley is dashing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"The most comfortable sun hat I know of."

That pales in comparison to the fact that it looks either profoundly ugly or dorky.

Or, worse yet, both. You darn well better not show up wearing that thing in the Kern!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If not the Kern, then where? The Middle Fork of the Kings River?

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If not the Kern, then where? The Middle Fork of the Kings River?"

Close, Bob, but no cigar. Disappearing Creek.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools