Topic

I have not found a good solution for this problem

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I have not found a good solution for this problem

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Then check out the Purple Rain skirt on Etsy. Made by a through hiker, comfortable waistband and BIG pockets.

In the summer, I wear the skirt, with leopard running shorts for chafe protection. And matching gaiters.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I've been thinking about this cotton issue for a while now. A cotton bandana is so awesome. It holds water when you need it to. It dries super fast when you need it to. It's light and durable. I have a polyester-cotton bandana and it absolutely sucks as a bandana. It won't hold much water and it dries way too fast, but as an article of clothing those properties would be ideal. So, it seems to me that you could wear clothing made of bandana-weight 100% cotton fabric in hot weather and bandana-weight polyester-cotton in cooler weather and experience decent performance. Forget the high-falutin expensive high-tech fabric that stinks when you get sweaty.

Sorry for the thread drift. But seriously, cotton canvas hiking shoes would be ideal, too. So hard to find them not as skateboard shoes (too narrow, no decent tread) or military boots (way too much boot.)

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

As a young guy, I backpacked (and practically lived) in Converse All-Stars. IIRC, they were serviceable for backpacking and even rock scrambling. I don't recall foxtails sticking to them. They make about 100 styles these days so you can make the fashion statement and they're not very expensive if you want something to experiment with.

I used to wear a lot of cotton for comfort, but have migrated away to save weight. I do still wear a UA 'charged cotton' shirt at night though for comfort. Thin material that is not too heavy , <8 oz. for a long-sleeve men's large, and dries relatively quickly.

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

There may be some approach shoes out there that would fit the bill (for a canvas hiking shoe). Off the top of my head I know the Guide Tennie's come in a canvas model, but I have no experience with them personally.

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

A few more thoughts on keeping the foxtails out. Protection without adding a lot of heat is a tough one. From my speedskating years I recall the EZfit skate covers as being thinner than the typical neoprene skate covers and maybe not so hot: http://www.ezeefitsports.com/product-p/070.htm

And from the kids soccer days, I recall seeing a variety of shoe lace covers. Perhaps a little sewing could modify those into something useful. Here are a couple of examples (there are many more out there):
    http://www.amazon.com/Cleattops-Covers-Soccer-Protector-Cleats/dp/B00BLCF560/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_2_0

Daniel Conway
    BPL Member

@danconway

Locale: West Coast

I usually just take my socks off and hike in flip flops/sandals when I get into foxtail fields. Works great for me.

whether or not this is going to be effective depends heavily on how hairy yr feet are.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Perhaps make some full coverage gaiters out of these.

Or ask the company where they get their fabric.

It looks quite breathable, or we’d have a lot of unhappy dog owners by now, I suspect.

Andrew Srna
    BPL Member

@andy-s

Ive been wearing luna sandals barefoot, and if the country gets prickly enough i put on my Swazi Ali gaiters. I dont use the factory underfoot cable strap that comes with them, instead use some small bungee as an underfoot strap tied via bowline to the gaiter running between underfoot and sandal footbed. Has worked for me offtrail in cactus, cockleburrs, greenbriars. No fabric shoe does well in your situation imo, leather shoe or barefoot sandal.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Don’t use cotton, use 50/50 silk and linen and use a wrap around pattern, easy on ;easy off but try LW merino wool too because merino can be woven to even lighter weights than cotton or linen so leas weight in the pack

As for the seed and burr problem, train your feet to appreciate proper leather boots or try US Surplus desert boots

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools