Topic

I have not found a good solution for this problem

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I have not found a good solution for this problem

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Breathable footwear, hot weather and foxtails:

Foxtails in breathable shoes

I can solve it with unbreathable footwear but then I get blisters because my feet are too sweaty.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Solution: don't hike in places that have fox tails.
    Just like I wouldn't choose to hike in a foot of mud, I don't choose to hike in fox tails.

And if I get into them unexpectedly?… Just deal with it as best I can…

Billy

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

How about something like these ones :
    desert gaiters

http://www.ar.co.za/2011/01/desert-gaiters/

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If the foxtails are only in one area, you could cover the front section of your shoe with duct tape (accepting reduced breathability). Then peel it off once past the hazard.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

With one pair of shoes in the desert I had to use my gore tex socks to keep debris from getting to my feet.

Sam Riggle
    Spectator

@samriggle

Locale: South East

The OR Stamina gaiters cover pretty much all of your lacing and cover down the side too. At least that's how they fit on my Cascadia 9's. Added bonus, although the do supply the Velcro patch and have he other side attached, I haven't applied it to my shoes because I've found it unnecessary. These have four hooks instead the DG's one. Two at the toe and one on each side of the shoe. I paid $35 but they do have OR wicked warranty.

Just a suggestion.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Unfortunately I can't avoid hiking in foxtails unless I just don't go hiking locally. Then I would miss out on some really wonderful wild places. Those desert gaiters look interesting and so do the OR ones, but the desert ones look like they might work. Thank you for the suggestion!

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

Maybe a cycling shoe cover would help as they usually stretch over the toe. Something like http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1080296_-1_400094__400094 . But the underfoot wrap might wear too quickly.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

BTW, those desert thingos need velcro strips glued onto your shoes and will not last all that long according to the reports I looked at, but it's a start…
    Someone posted recently (in the last week or so) a photo of some gaiters similar to the one I posted but not the same. Can't think where it was but if I spot it again I'll post.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I should look into kevlar chaps. Mayne make some gaiter/shoe covers. There's not just foxtails. There's star thistle, too.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

the zPacks gaiters might work well for you: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/gaiters.shtml

gaiters

Joe is well known for being open to custom work if you want the gaiter a bit shorter, etc. as well.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Light gaiters with velcro strips on my shoes get treated to JB Weld, which makes the strips stay on long after the shoe has been hiked to death. The edges may curl a little but the strip sticks.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

are there breathable shoes with a tighter weave that won't allow those weeds to stick?

I hate those, although I didn't know their name

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

The picture I posted was not of my feet. These were my Altra Superiors:

Altras with foxtails

They did pretty well, but they weren't breathable enough and I was getting ball-of-foot blisters. I had to stop every few hours to air my feet and dry my socks.

I also tried this. This is bullet-proof against foxtails but the Luna Tabu booties were too small and even less breathable.

Luna tabu

This is all so I can go places like this:
    Pool near Sisquoc Falls
    (Pool near but not right below Sisquoc Falls)

Rattlesnake falls
    (Rattlesnake Falls)

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Even the best gaiters are going to heat up your feet. I personally would choose different footwear and carry a couple pair of socks to change.

Gabriel Harper
    Spectator

@tekime

Locale: Maine

Have you tried carrying a small pet shedding blade and just brushing off occasionally? Compatible with all footwear! ;)

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

On my size 10.5 Altra Lone Peaks, the Zpacks gaiters are long enough in the toe that I had to sew a toe loop on my shoes. Totally covers the laces, though.gaiter toe loopzpacks gaiters

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Diane, you hike in leopard print khakis? Impressive.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

That's right, Doug, leopard print running tights. I ditched the zip-off pants after a misty backpack trip in Mt. Rainier park left me damp for days. I find the tights breathe better. Leopard because I got tired of black, dammit!

Not that I have a svelte physique that deserves being shown off. That's not my problem, since there are no mirrors on the trail.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Those z-packs gaiters have really good coverage but they look really hot. I have some MLD (I think) ultralight snow gaiters and they are just too unbreathable. Plus my massive calves don't really fit inside. I had to make my own thorn gaiters from a pair of lycra/cotton pants.

Love the leopard skin tights. I'm tired of boring hiking clothes. It's not that I'm any kind of girly fashion horse in real life. I just feel like being weird out there.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I just like the fact that on the recent thread page it appears as if the good solution to the perplexing problem is employing leopard skin tights.

—I was just looking at the Thread/ post titles and found it ironic that when you glance at the titles it read:

"Help me with this hard problem!"

And the answer appeared to be: "Leopard skin tights!"

I have nothing to say about actual tight usage.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Well, I wouldn't say that, Jeff. I hike in the PNW and don't have to worry about things thorny and pokey. I'm not sure how well they would hold up in Piper's situation, at least without the gaiters.

http://www.runningfunky.com. They don't have the leopard print right now, but boy, do they have other bright fabrics. I originally was searching for light brown or tan tights or long johns instead of black. My searches led me there. I get lots of comments on them on the trail, for sure.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…I loves me loud hiking clothes.

When I met my now husband, he had only seen me in hiking clothes for the first month or so of knowing each other (we met hiking), and I wore bland clothing – carbon grays, khaki, black, white, etc. Then he came to my work when we started dating and found out I had zero fashion sense. Lol….

I was a barista and dressed as loud as I could. Leopard print leather jeans, blue snow leopard fake fur jackets. He was "uhhhhhhh". You make way more tips when people remember you.

Now I dress blandly in life, but my hiking clothing? You can tell LNT to bite me ;-)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

On my last trip I wore a skirt. I rarely wear skirts in real life. It was so comfortable. Lots of air flow. Yesterday I wore shorts like a normal person. No air flow. And I sort of missed how my skirt felt like a shield in front of my when pushing through the bushes. I'm trying to learn to sew now so I can sew an awesome skirt. It might even be *gasp* cotton because damn, cotton is comfortable and if it's a skirt, how hypothermic can it make me? I can always remove it in the rain and wear a rain skirt instead.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Honestly? I wear cotton all the time when hiking on the bottom half. It breathes! I carry backup clothing, so no…I am not worried. (I don't do this in say dumping rain in October). Skirts are great – and easy to sew :-)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools