Topic

GoLite Phantom Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews GoLite Phantom Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

Awesome light jacket. Enormous pit zips help ventilation a lot. High pockets let you stash gloves and trail mix where you can get them without taking your pack off. A little heavier than some more modern offerings but still a great jacket.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

For everything but alpine climbing,this is the Gore-tex Paclite jacket to beat. Well cut,fantastic ventilation,smooth operating water resistant zippers. Well placed pockets that one can use with their pack on. All this, and my large size phantom still weighs under 13 oz. The lighter Gore-tex jackets out there are only lighter because they forego functional ventilation.

Beth Correira

@beth

Locale: Beautiful New England!

Wonderfully lightweight with lots of features. Repels rain, wind, and snow like a champ and the pitzips and pockets work great to ventilate. My only complaint is the hood is just too small for good coverage of the head.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

This was my jacket during my Colorado Trail through-hike this past summer. It's breathability is better than most, and its ventilation is superb. I hiked many miles over two weeks through monsoon season in this jacket, and it never wetted out on me. The chest pockets are one of the jacket's greatest strengths, allowing room for storage without having to remove the pack. The cut is generous.

My XXL is heavier than other offerings at just under 18 ounces, but overall the jacket's quality more than makes up for it. Its only real short-coming for me is the lack of a "temple toggle", a draw-cord pull at the back of the hood which pulls the hood snug at the temples and causing the hood to turn with the wearer's head. In this model the cinches are at the collar bone and I routinely turn my head, only to look into the side of the hood. If this were corrected, I would rank the Phantom a 5.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Truly great jacket, light and fully featured. Very well vented. Only nitpick is that my BD Halfdome helmet 'barely' fits under the hood.
    If the hood was helmet compatible it would be my favorite summer alpine shell ever!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools