Topic

Half Dome Permit Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Half Dome Permit Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I have some permit questions for you experts …

yes I've been up Half Dome (more than once, but before the permit era)
    this July a friend and I are running from Tuolumne down to the Valley via JMT.
    he has never been on Half Dome and I would like to do a side trip to take him to the top.
    would we still need a permit coming from Tuolumne ?
    are the Half Dome permits trail permits or permits to go up the cables ?
    is there a separate permit quota and process for those not coming from the Valley ?

thanks …

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Yes, when the cables are up, you need a permit, 24/7, night or day.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm

When you apply for the wilderness permit there is a box on the form. You may or may not be given one.

Not worth crying over, IMO, if you don't – Clouds Rest is a better view with less people (tho still kind of crowded these days).

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

Art,

As you stated you are running, I assume you will be finished in a day, you can apply for a day-use permit here:

http://www.recreation.gov/permits/Yosemite_Half_Dome_Cables/r/entranceDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=79064&entranceId=306809&permitTypeId=1332249658&entryType=1

For Day Use it doesn't matter where you start.

Dave

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

yes this a 1 day trip.

I will check out the links you both provided, thanks.

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

Art,

I tried to do a dummy booking in July, and permits can't be booked online even though the quota isn't full on all days, looks like you might need to hit a ranger station the day before.

Dave

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

so they apparently have daily lotteries,
    but no walk up first come first serve permits ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools