Topic

Esbit burner testing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Esbit burner testing

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 907 total)
  • Author
    rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Fine and clear, thank you.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I store all my ESBIT tabs, used and new, in a roll top coffee bag, the kind with an aluminum/mylar lining.

When you pick up the snuffed out Esbit you get the crystals on your hands and put them in the coffee sack/bag along with all the rest of the esbit. Every time you put your hand in the sack/bag you get the crystals on your fingers and “maybe” transfer them to your food/water somehow. HYOH is what it’s all about….I know ;-) I’m just passing this info on to others that might be just getting into backpacking. I have spent a lot of time experimenting with esbit and know a little bit about it. I don’t need to sell esbit trays, I just make them as a service to those who can’t DIY.  I’m the only one that will tell it as it is. I don’t give out BS as others do just to sell a stove.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Sorry Dan, I was talking about unused tablets for the coffee bag.

My used tabs stay on the BGET holder and go into a ZipLoc bag for the next meal. Andh yeah, I’m careful not to get my hands on the stuff. Nasty!

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Hi Eric.

Gentlemen, are we familiar with the TiMNEY MulTi-fuel?
    http://www.ifyouhave.org/2014/10/timney.html

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you Robert…nice application of triangular holes. Interesting to read how the companies deliveries were delayed because of an earthquake. One of their items for sale is a lightweight wallet, very nice design.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Yes Dan, interesting that they recommend placing a stone on the lid to aid stability in windy conditions, because of the light weight of the Ti windscreen, which is a similar consideration to what I experienced with my Evernew windscreen (which must have less windage). But they appear to get excellent wood-burning performance, viz. the associated video.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Strange……most everything is SOLD OUT in their store:

https://ifyouhave.stores.jp/

Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

I may have missed it, but where can one acquire an esbitmizer?

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Dan th’Man can.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

The Wiltshire Man discovers Esbit – using the 585 cookset – interesting lighting method, intrusive music track:

YouTube video

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

That’s waaaay to fussy. Just put some d@mn hand sanitizer on the ESBIT tab, light it and be done with it.

I only carry Vaseline soaked cotton balls when I’m going to light a wood fire in my Sidewinder W/Inferno insert. The cotton ball tinder is needed then for a longer burn time to insure tinder & small twigs get going.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

I take a mini dropper bottle of ethanol for lighting esbit. 20ml outlasts a 2 week trip.

2 or 3 of drops of alcohol on an Esbit block takes a spark or flickof a lighter and usually has it going easily in a second or 2.

I don’t use hand sanitizer. Apparently tests show it’s less effective for sanitising than soap. And a hotel soap bar is lighter…

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I like that 585 cookset. Looks like it has good heat exchanging capabilities sitting down inside the pot support/windscreen. Support has lots of contact with shape of pot bottom. Their esbit tray is nice to retain all the melting esbit. The hard anodized aluminum is a plus.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

~ Evolution of the true Esbit User ~

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

After millions of years we are still playing with fire. ;o)

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Are there no women Esbit users? And what does this indicate about men? 🙀

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Esbit 3-piece Cook Set review, FWIW.

YouTube video

Apparently does not work with Esbit alcohol burner, without using a crosspiece.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Robert, women don’t like the smell of esbit.

Take a look at this little gem:

YouTube video

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Cool video Dan. I’ve noticed that LOGOS produce quite a range of BP gear, cooking accoutrements usually, not in general the lightest or most compact, but likely suitable for midrange use, car camping etc.

[edited MK]

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Snuff out an Esbit when it is in full fire mode and then listen to it sizzle while a white cloud of smoke rises. That’s the white noise ;-) DO NO SMELL THE SMOKE…..you will die! :-)

“White Noise” is a sound used to prevent someone from understanding what is being said behind a closed door. Usually the sound is produced by a speaker mounted in the ceiling tile above the door outside the room.

[edited MK]

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Speaking of “you will die”, I recently found these berries in my local neighborhood park, and naively presumed as the tree was clearly from the fir/pine/spruce family that they would be ok to eat. They tasted delicious, and I naturally spat out the stones.

After having my wife try them as well, I thought I had better just make sure they were ok, and checked on the Internet. It turns out they are yew, and the entire tree – apart from the flesh of the berry, but including the stones – is highly poisonous… Individuals have died from brewing tea from the leaves/needles. Growing freely in our park, where young children play.

YEW – HIGHLY POISONOUS – DON’T INDULGE, DON’T BREW TEA FROM THE LEAVES, DON’T EVEN HANDLE THE WOOD WITHOUT GLOVES. DON’T BITE OR SWALLOW THE STONES.

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

Yew, the best wood for bow making. Talk about thread drift, how far away is this from Esbit burner testing.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Rational discourse, how far is that away from reality…

Incense burners, Iranian, 13th and 14th century.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Esbit is made from the sap of the Yew….don’t eat the Esbit 

YouTube video

From Wikipedia,

A Tommy cooker was a compact, portable stove, fuelled by something referred to as solidified alcohol which was issued to British troops (Tommies) in World War I.
    It was notoriously ineffective; one soldier complained that it took two hours to boil half a pint of water. A variety of commercial or improvised alternatives were in use.

A refined version remained in use during World War II, using gelled fuel in a tin can; a steel ring fitted to the can supported a mess tin.

The British army still uses compact portable solid fuel (hexamine) stoves.

The term also came to be applied by the German tank crews as a derogatory nickname for the Sherman tank whose earlier models acquired a reputation for bursting up in flames when hit, due to improper ammunition storage.

<div id=”mw-content-text” class=”mw-content-ltr” dir=”ltr” lang=”en”>
    <div class=”mw-parser-output”>

</div>
    </div>

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

“ESBIT is made from the sap of the yew.”

I turn to the “ESBIT Burner Testing” thread every morning for a smile and today you didn’t disappoint. I had no idea yews were so “sappy”.

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 907 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools