Topic

Esbit burner testing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Esbit burner testing

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 907 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Chuckle – making emergency soup late in the afternoon usually means something did not go quite as planned.
    Happens.  Cheers

It rained earlier in the day and all wood fuel was soaked, so out comes the esbit stoves to the rescue. Esbit is a quiet fuel source :-) If in a hurry and don’t mind the noise, break out the canister stoves ;)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Heck, “I done been quoted.” hee, hee Tank youse veddy nice!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

HEE, hee “IKEA has inspired many woodturning stoves.”

I have an IKEA “honey-do” project I’ve been putting off for weeks. We bought two IKEA cabinets I’m supposedly installing on the wall above our computer desk.

I’ll let her nag me a while longer before I put them up. Her mission in life is too bit<h, mine is to giver her something to bit<h about. Otherwise it ain’t marriage, right?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Didn’t your mother teach you to never disturb people when they’re eating their Esbit fuel cooked meal?

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

trailhut_jpot-X
    #五徳 #エスビット#固形燃料#esbit #ソロキャンプ#ブッシュクラフト#キャンプツーリング#山コーヒー#外コーヒー#ラーツー#ペンタックス#オールドレンズ

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Esbit Modell 9 – Stuttgart W.
    https://fjm44.com/articles/esbit-modell-9-stuttgart-w/
    The name ESBIT is short for Erich Schumms Brennstoff in Tablettenform which translates to Erich Schumms fuel tablets. The main component in these tablets was hexamine, a fuel invented by which was discovered by Aleksandr Butlerov in 1859…

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Now Robert! If this isn’t thread drift I know not what is.

(I’m beginning to think your avatar IS you. :o)

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Of course Eric, you have nailed it! Esbit nanothreads drifting in fluorescent magnetically suspended plasma should provide radically improved combustion performance, while satisfying environmental concerns. Off to the laboratory!

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Meanwhile on Planet Rational, I was unfamiliar with the Yu-can, Dan (surely attributed to Nike), but was inspired by my various Markill Stormy stove systems over the years.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you Robert for the history behind the set-up. :-) I like the ability to hang it, even if it were to hang by a bail handle instead of wire. A bail would provide easier access to pot lid removal when wanting to stir the warming food.

I’m always thinking of DIY kits for those that are not concerned with weight, only compactness. Things that nest inside of each other with a lid to hold things together.  I’m intrigued how esbit burns. I’ve recently come across 2 cans that nest well. The inner can has a capacity of 600ml.  When I get time. I’ll punch some holes in the outer can and do some testing using the 4 gram tablets. I’ll use 3 tablets to see if they will boil 500ml . The outer can will be the windsheild/pot support in close proximity for maximum efficiency :-)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

But “seriousnessly”…

In the past I have, tongue-in-cheek, asked for “de-tuned rocket fuel” as the next logical step beyond ESBIT. And yes, in my heart of hearts I do wish someone would invent such stuff. I know MSR at one time was working on something like this and a special stove for it but evidently it was not to be.

IF, and that’s a big if, this hotter solid fuel did happen, let’s say, being conservative about this giant advance in solid stove fuel, it was 50% hotter. That would likely mean it would need to be in a holder that dispersed flame in a roughly 2 inch diameter circle to avoid a hot spot on pots and pans.

I’d settle for even 25% hotter. But then burn time rears its ugly head. Aaarrrgghhh! Probably this new fuel would burn twice as fast for the same weight as ESBIT. Would it, by some arcane Law of Thermodynamics, have to burn faster? Couldn’t the d@mn stuff maybe even burn a bit slower?

OK, got to get back to my 2nd lab. (The 1st one blew up 5 years ago and I was SO close to de-tuned rocket fuel.) When he heard about the mishap the Dear Leader stopped sending me solid rocket fuel for my research. Said he needed it for his own launches. Whatever!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I quote ERIC BLUMENSAADT from another recent thread:

The biggest danger i can see for ESBIT is liquid run-off from the Trail Designs tablet holder.

Just buy a BEGT tab holder from Dan Y. and, with a 6″ aluminum base sheet you should be fine. The BEGT holder retains the fuel residue for much longer burning and no run-off.

Want a “shut off “valve? Make an aluminum cap to cover the BEGT and tablet to snuff out the flame. (Hmmm, think I’ll make one so it can also carry the BEGT holder and even left-over tablets that have not thoroughly burned.)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The U-Can can do pretty darn good. With those 2 nesting cans I’m able to boil 2 cups and have it continue to boil for an additional 6 min.

Starting water temp 76 degrees, air temp 76 degrees, used 3, four gram esbit tablets.

Brings 2 cups to a boil and continues to boil for an additional 6 min. Not to shabby :-)

Bottom of pot has slight evidence of varnish type deposit, not gooey. No odor indicating inefficient burning.

I used a titanium BGET with bread pan corners on top of a 1″ dia. carbon felt disc.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ok, nobody is interested. I’ll ramble on anyway 

Most of you can’t see where this testing is going.

The above results show that 2, four gram tablets will boil 2 cups of warm weather water

Going solo adventure camping, need some dirt time. Later!

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Meanwhile, from Fukuoka, our guest Esbit Editor reports:

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

I bought the TriveTi, and very nice it is too. It works over alcohol stove or Esbit burner. Cleaner design than the tripod, in my opinion. It can sit on the 400 lid; but then the lid can’t be used for it’s main purpose of “kidding” (I lid you not). I like its loose fit when brewing coffee.

The Ti windscreen is nicely made, but they recommend gloves to assemble the two rings, and don’t open it from the plastic case with your head too close! The Evernew 400 fits easily in the screen in plastic case; I presume the 570 will also fit, with the 400 inside it. This would make for a very compact set when packed.

Maybe these are already widely available in the US, I have no idea, in which case my apologies.

CAUTION: I later tried the Evernew 570 inside the plastic case shown above; it does NOT appear to nest inside the coiled Ti windscreen. Surely a design oversight? Or maybe it’s possible with proper coiling; but I’d be careful with that Ti… flicking up and cutting one’s face or hands.

THEN AGAIN: I’m slow this morning. I had best presume the 570 sits inside the plastic case, then the coiled windshield inside that, but likely that won’t allow the 400 to then sit inside the 570, so let’s coil the windshield (two halves) inside the 400, which sits inside the 570, in the rather fine plastic bowl/case… if I get the chance, I’ll try that in the store. Just put off by the warning to wear gloves to assemble the windscreen, and by the price…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Dan,

With titanium’s lower heat transfer and its tendency to have hot spots (my own experience) I’ve gone to only aluminum cookware – pot & skillet. Especially with ESBIT I want to conserve every last BTU so aluminum is the logical choice for me.

Disclaimer — I avoid hot spot cookware because I actually often cook my meals, not just boil water.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Dan,

I got your box today! Thank you and may all your days be filled with custard pudding (always a good filling). I don’t care what Robert Meurant sez, I think you’re an OK guy. ;o)

Now I shall begin testing in my TD Sidewinder & 3 cup pot yet again – with and without the “chimney”. I will use only 2 cups H2O because that’s all I use, at most.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

I have the greatest of respect for Dan Y, as I do for you, Eric, all three score and fifteen… though thoughtfully I opportunistically opine that your professed propensity for rapid rocket furnace fuel and concentrated combustion might be concretely considered reliably rambunctious in the culinary context of superbly slow cuisine cooking, which Esbit elegantly exemplifies.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

BLASPHEMY!

FYI gentlemen (& you too Robert ;o) Over on the Trailspace site there is a review of the Kojin alcohol burner.Yes, I said alcohol and, I know, this is an ESBIT thread but before you throw stones please listen.

SOME TERMS:

1.burner- a device that burns fuel or holds and burns fuel

2.stove- a device consisting of a burner, pot support and often a windscreen – i.e a complete system

Evidently Trail Designs, the maker of our beloved Caldera Cones, is now selling the Kojin alky burner. The reviewer posted some comparative boil times using several alky burners including the TD 12-10, Starlyte and a few others plus, natch, the Kojin burner. The Kojin tops out above the sainted Starlyte as fastest to boil, fastest by a lot. And its about 1/2 the volume of the 12-10 burner. Store it inside a rolled up cone.

I’m all about weight and if the Kojin can produce the same burn time for less weight than ESBIT (especially over several days of breakfasts and dinners)  then I may become a convert to the “Denatured Alcohol Persuasion”. Blasphemy, I know. But this tiny Kojin burner seems to be both hot and efficient – kinda like my Filipina wife. BTW, The test was done with a Sidewinder ti Caldera Cone, my favorite.

So I’m ordering the Kojin stove to test the sucker myself.

Now begin the stone (or stove) throwing.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Fiendish philanderer, is there no loquacious limit to the debauched depravity of your proselytizing peregrinations? Blistering barnacles…

Histrionic historians were later to lamentably and argumentatively agree that Eric the Egregious’s distressing defection to the Kojin Kin mysteriously marked the stuttering start of the misogynist misfits remarkable rise to pernicious power, as their bothersome brethren, to belatedly become nefariously known as the Ruby Red Hats, cheerily chanted “What is Hot? Gas a Lot!”

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Eric,

If you are interested in fast boil times for esbit, do this.  Split the tablet in half and stand the pieces on end (apart from each other).  You will be able to boil 2 cups of water in under 5 minutes.  My 2 cents.

(2 cups of 70 F water, ambient temperature was 75 F)

Youtube Link

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 907 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools