Topic

Whats your SUL Cook Set-Up Grams/Milliliter %

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Whats your SUL Cook Set-Up Grams/Milliliter %

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Jon's 3 rock and a pie pan, well does he actually use it? If so, I guess the lightest pie pan wins

The idea is not to just come up with what could be the lightest but what you actually use.

I never even thought out the usable volume or would have had it that way.
    Since I can fill my pot all the way up, I didn't even think about it.

Then again, I don't have any containers or covers added in, but it should count too.

Crazy how Jeremy's 28 gram set up with and 11 gram lighter would be 11%.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Aaron – Nope, I don't use the 3 rock and a pie pan while backpacking (I have tested it and it works fine). I am not an SUL backpacker as I enjoy cooking on the trail. For basic water heating needs, a wide based aluminum pan provides the best fuel efficiency. A pie pan is less robust than a ridged beer can, but you were look for lighter. A pie pan is probably at the edge of "stupid light". Have fun!

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Locale: Cumberland Trail

I like what you said about oh how things can change in a year — i actually have been working my way back up to a 8 lb pack that has more comfort to it.

I am glad to see other people saw the thread and got ideas from it

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

"The idea is not to just come up with what could be the lightest but what you actually use."

Really?

Its funny you never mentioned that in your first post.

Bottom line is you can boil water JUST as effectively in Jon's pie pan/ rock setup as you can with anything else.

Even if Jon does not actually use it, maybe someone else might? The point is, that if it's a simplistic weight vs capacity metric you want it- you got it ! :)

This IS the SUL forum, remember?

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Locale: Cumberland Trail

My goal for myeslf in making my system was trying to get a system down to just 1 cup of water, .5 oz alcohol or 4 gram esbit tablet.

To increase percentage – all of the parts to my setup work with a larger pot. with the stand, I would have no trouble supporting a 24 oz pot that was weighted evenly. The only practical difference would be requiring more fuel

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Well, I tried the "three rocks and a pie pan" method and couldn't get a boil with a full 14 g Esbit tab. The photos don't show it, but I had a sheet of aluminum foil wrapped tightly on top. Hot, but no boil. I'm thinking there's too much unheated surface area too far from the heat source, radiating the heat away.
    p

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'm not sure if Jon was just trying to interject some humor but I was formulating a plan to make this work. Too bad it didn't work out in David's experiment. Maybe I'll pick up a tin later when I'm shopping for oatmeal and poptarts.

I'm surprised that Coghlan tablets don't get more love here. They are much cheaper than Esbit but come in .25oz tablets vs the .5oz Esbit tablets that I normally only use half of. With Esbit, I'll just blow it out and reuse it later but I like that I can just let the Coghlans burn out without having to keep tabs on how much I've used for fuel conservation purposes. I've tried cutting the Esbit in half but I always end up losing some crumbs along the way.

I've never really looked at the smaller Esbit tablets due to the higher cost.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Ian, yeah, I am eating my words from my last post.

Nice job, everyone.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

David, do you understand how much heat the nice flat bricks will soak away from the heated pan? Do you understand how some stupid rocks are better? In Jon's photo, you can see that the stupid rocks are supporting the pan nicely, but there is very little surface in common.

–B.G.–

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I could carry it easy enough in my front pocket. The Esbit residue would be a problem.

Maybe I can find a smaller pie tin when I'm shopping later. I think the ones used for chicken pot pies might work. I haven't had one since the '70s so I'm not sure they even sell them any more.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Those bricks are a massive heat sink.

Try rocks with three small points of support then get back with us..

Nice, work though,,

FWIW. I have seen a few folks doing no better with some of Esbit's own stoves..

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I have seen tepirts of folks doung ni better with some if Esbit's own stoves.."

Jimmer, please help us parse this statement.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Thank you David :-)
    Me, I have home-made muesli for breakfast – 110 g of it.

Cheers

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

I tbink you can parse it better now..

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

> "I think the ones used for chicken pot pies might work."

Ian,

That was my thought, too. They definitely still sell them. A little deeper, smaller overall, easier to pour from. Free if you want the chicken pot pie. $1.29 if you throw away the contents.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

I tried some out for another project, they are like 5" by 1.75" deep. A few bucks for 3 or 4.

All they had was alumnium – no Ti . Darnit.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

"I'm surprised that Coughlan tablets don't get more love here."

I'm with you Ian. I switched to Coghlans's a after trying the gambit of other choices. I was wasting a lot of the 14g Esbit tabs boiling 1-1.5 cups of water and not monitoring it closely. The last batch of Coghlans's I bought were $2.50 a box, shipping free, no tax. That's a lot cheaper than the Esbit that usually cost around $6 a box and up. I've also found there is less smell and only a clean ash residue left from burning the tabs. My titanium tab holder stove weighs less than a gram and is designed to firmly hold the tab for easy lighting.Coughlan tab stoveFuel Tab stove

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Don, how do you package that titanium for transport? It looks like you have some nasty little edges there.

–B.G.–

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

It goes in a small plastic bag along with my lighter and a quantity of tabs. You can see the bag in the photo of my complete kit posted earlier in this thread. The bag, spoon, caldera cone and base plate go inside the Fosters can. There are no pointed corners (all have have a 45 degree trim) and the edges are lightly sanded. I have yet to put a slice of any kind in the plastic bag (or my fingers). I would worry more about slicing myself putting the cone together than anything else. A thought–leave your knife at home and use the sharp edges in the system!

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Too many people thread-drifting in this thread… as usual.

uhh, so my setup is 44.14 grams, minus a mini-bic, which right now is 11 grams… but I have no flipping idea how much fuel is still in it… and the pot holds 400ml

I'll let you all play with the math from there, to do whatever it is all of you are wanting with this data.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Last time I looked at the store, the chicken pot pies were all in plastic (yuck). What brand still has aluminum?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I have no flipping idea how much fuel is still in it"

There is another strange trick for artificially lowering the weight of your Bic lighter. Hold down the thumb valve until it has lost half of the butane.

–B.G.–

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I always buy the white bics because they're transparent enough to see how much fuel is still in them. Just have to hold them up to a light. Can't do it with any of the other colors.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Somebody explain to me why small Bic lighters have a plastic case that you can barely see through. There are larger butane lighters with all sorts of plastic, transparent, translucent, or opaque.

–B.G.–

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Jimmer,

You fatigue me. Your negativity sucks the life out of a fun thread.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools