The Redfeather Trek 30 has the Control Binding, which consists of clear plastic side supports and a 5-inch (13 cm) aluminum base. The binding is tightened with two nylon straps that cross the foot in three places, providing a secure attachment that works with a variety of footwear widths. The heel strap is made of urethane and adjusts with a single aluminum buckle. Excess straps tuck neatly into attached rubber rings.
The Trek 30 uses a pivot strap system in which a strap acts as a pivot. This helps to keep the deck close to your heel when walking, which keeps it clear of snow, allows a natural stride, and ensures flat landings when jumping. However, it is a fairly stiff strap, which resulted in snow being flipped against my back when running.
The traction system consists of a moderately aggressive toe crampon with a combination heel/lateral crampon in the rear. The crampons are made of stainless steel and have remained sharp and durable during our preliminary testing.
In early testing, the Redfeather Trek 30 snowshoes have held up well to field abuse. However, the printed graphics have already begun to wear off of the decking. While this doesn’t affect performance, it does affect the look of the snowshoes.
At $159 for a pair of quality, fairly lightweight snowshoes, the Trek 30 is an excellent value. Because of the lack of snow in the Pacific Northwest in 2005, these snowshoes did not receive enough field testing to complete a full review. Look for a full review in early 2006.
Specifications and Features
- Weight: 3 lb 12.8 oz as measured (1.72 kg), manufacturer’s claim 3 lb 8.0 oz (1.59 kg)
- Dimensions: 8.9 in wide x 30.5 in long (22.5 cm x 77.5 cm)
- Frame: 6000-series aircraft-grade aluminum alloy tubing, 3/4 in diameter (1.9cm)
- Deck: TX 35 poly-vinyl laminate material
- Binding: Ultra binding – consists of a heavier rubber strap called the “Live Action Hinge,” a stiff plastic base plate, soft rubber side supports, 1-inch webbing straps, and urethane heel strap with aluminum buckle
- Traction System: Hawk crampon system – stainless steel 1.25 in (3.1 cm) front crampon and 1 in (2.5 cm) heel crampon
- Load rating: 175 lb (79 kg)
- MSRP: $159