At 4.0 ounces the SteriPEN Adventurer weighs less than most filters and starts to be weight competitive against chemical treatments. UV treatment is fast and may be the most effective water treatment on the market.
At 4.0 oz (3.6 oz BPL measured) the next version of the SteriPEN, the Adventurer is half the weight of the original SteriPEN and should be available in October. At this weight the SteriPEN ultraviolet technology weighs less than most filters and starts to be competitive against chemical treatments. SteriPEN sterilizes water with ultraviolet light. It is effective against viruses, bacteria, and protozoa (e.g. Giardia and Cryptosporidium). It will treat 50 to 60 liters of water on a single set of batteries. Using the optional storage case with integrated solar charger, the SteriPEN adventurer will treat 1250 gallons! of water (the life of the ultraviolet emitting bulb).
UV treatment is generally both faster and more effective than filters or chemical treatments. Filters are generally not effective against viruses and most chemical treatments are not rapidly effective against Cryptosporidium (a protozoa). Chlorine dioxide-based treatments generally require a contact period of one to four hours to inactivate protozoan cysts, while iodine treatments are generally ineffective against both Crypto and Giardia.
The new SteriPEN Adventurer weighs half the original SteriPEN and is half the size. (SteriPEN adventurer shown with protective bulb cover removed).
- Mfr weight 4.0 oz (BPL measured weight 3.6 oz!)
- Uses two CR123 lithium photo batteries (or rechargeable lithium ion CR123’s)
- 6.6 oz (BPL measured) = weight of optional clamshell storage case with two rechargeable CR123 batteries
- $130 MSRP of SteriPEN Adventurer
- $50 MSRP of optional clamshell storage case with two rechargeable CR123 batteries
- Push-button, automatic, microprocessor & sensor controlled treatment time
- Treats for viruses, bacteria, and protzoa
- Treats 16 oz in 48 seconds
- Treats 1 liter in 90 seconds
- Treats 50 to 60 liters on a set of lithium non-rechargeable batteries
- Treats approx. 40 liters on a set of lithium ion rechargeable batteries
- Treats approx. treat 1250 Gallons using optional storage case with integrated solar charger (the life of the ultraviolet emitting bulb)
Optional clamshell storage case with integrated solar charger. The case has a photo cell panel on the cover and charges two CR123 lithium ion batteries. Using the case the SteriPEN Adventurer treats 1250 Gallons on a singe set of rechargeable batteries.