Topic

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Anonymous
    Inactive

Clifford Deakyne
    BPL Member

@cliffdeakyne

Locale: Colorado Rockies foot hills

Ken,

Xpac description is Ripstop Nylon face fabric, Polyester X-Ply, laminated to a 0.25mm PET film,  and backed with 50d Polyester Taffeta.  The Nylon face should be easy to dye.  Nylon readily accepts an acid dye.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I recently read on Questoutfitters site that the face fabric of X Pac, the nylon, has a DWR.  This will make it much harder to dye.  Clifford is correct that nylon dyes easily, but that is uncoated nylon.

Almost nothing will bond to a DWR coating, except perhaps the same material that the DWR is made out of.

If the pack is well used and older, then perhaps the DWR coating has fully degraded and dyeing will be possible?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Anonymous
    Inactive

Let me rephrase my answer then, with a factory applied DWR finish, you cannot dye it successfully, unless you take the DWR off completely, and that is hard’ish to do.  

But after it’s completely off, it will dye well.

You don’t need to have tried this, to understand the basic physics of it.  Sometimes people think they have dyed something, only to learn later, that it only appears that way, the dye later leaches out because it was not properly bonded to the fiber substrate itself (but very weakly and temporarily “bonded” to the DWR or waterproofing coating).

Better to learn basic material properties/interactions and apply holistic logic before trying.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools