Topic

Woven nylon fabric vs glass fiber for epoxy or poly resin composite material?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Woven nylon fabric vs glass fiber for epoxy or poly resin composite material?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Just wondering what is stronger per weight, epoxied or polyester resin treated layered woven nylon fabric or more standard fiberglass composite?

I’ve been thinking a lot about Dave Thomas’s pulk shelter idea, and do eventually want to build a prototype (probably in between early to mid spring time).  For the bottom, i’m going to use wood strengthened with either fiberglass or nylon–hence the above question.

I know kevlar is a popular stronger alternative to fiberglass, but i can’t afford that. Nylon seems to be a cheaper, but possibly stronger per weight alternative to fiberglass?  Or would it be best to mix some nylon and glass fiber together?   Since it would need to be sanded some, maybe outer layer of glass fiber with nylon inner?

Clifford Deakyne
    BPL Member

@cliffdeakyne

Locale: Colorado Rockies foot hills

Fiberglass-epoxy or polyester will be much stronger than Nylon-resin laminate.  Nylon develops strength at high elongation where the resin bond is lost and the laminate destroyed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That make sense Clifford, thank you for the info.  Not sure why it didn’t occur to me to begin with.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools