Topic

Uniqlo down jackets/hoodies ($58), vests ($38), and Heattech baselayers ($8/$15)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Uniqlo down jackets/hoodies ($58), vests ($38), and Heattech baselayers ($8/$15)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Lammers
    BPL Member

@mechb

Locale: Washington DC

This stuff periodically goes on sale, but these are some of the lower prices I’ve seen. It also appears that they are offering free shipping today. Here are the links:

FYI, my size medium down hooded jacket weighed in at ~8.9oz, and it was probably my favorite piece of gear on the PCT this summer. I’m a skinny/cold person, but the jacket (plus a 100-weight fleece, mostly for wet conditions and sleeping) did me just fine for summer in the Sierra.

I also have a medium vest (~5.0 oz), the Heattech ‘extra warm’ leggings (~6.0 oz if I remember correctly), the Heattech ‘extra warm’ turtleneck (~9.0 oz in M). The leggings are also a favorite of mine and my friends, and were also along for the ride on the PCT. Worn under a pair of shorts, they’ve kept me warm down to around 30F or so (in dry/calm conditions, while hiking), didn’t seem to accumulate any stink even though I had them on for half the day, and are stretchy/comfortable for hiking or climbing in. For me, I don’t think there are better values for down jackets / baselayers, so I thought I’d share.

Brendan Lammers
    BPL Member

@mechb

Also, I found this blurb: “Premium down with fill power above 640, but weighs just 7.4 oz.”

I’m assuming that’s the weight for the hoodless jackets.

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

I have not done much testing to see how cold they go but my wife and I really like our hooded jackets.  With just a short sleeve shirt I’m warm in the low 30 and a grid fleece I’m good in the 20’s.  The hood could fit tighter but it’s useful as is.

Sr Al
    BPL Member

@douchepacker

Locale: PNW

Do their clothes tend to run small?  I weigh 155 and a mountain hardware small fits me well.. wondering if I should get a medium?

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

Im 5’10” or so and 180lbs, fairly big shoulders.  I typically have problems with sleeves being too short but I found the medium to fit very well.  The sleeves are long enough and its fitted in the body, not too tight but not huge either.  I can wear a fleece or sweater under it.

Its 30 degrees and snowing this morning, with just a dress shirt and the uniglo I’m really warm.

I will say it’s not super wind proof, not sure if any of them are.

Brendan Lammers
    BPL Member

@mechb

I agree with what Todd said–I’m 6’1″ 155 with long arms / torso, and the medium actually fits me well. So, I think they are true-to-size.

Side note: it’s not on sale right now, but it looks like they released a Houdini-like wind jacket and a synthetic puffy. Has anyone tried these? Uniqlo is sort of the Japanese Gap, so it’s kind of weird (but awesome) that they seem to be selling gear tuned for UL backpackers.

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

Sr Al
    BPL Member

@douchepacker

Locale: PNW

Thanks for the size advice fellas!  If I wasn’t leaving for Mexico soon Id order one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools