Topic

ULA Ohm Vs HMG Southwest 2400

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Ohm Vs HMG Southwest 2400

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Schasch
    BPL Member

@mschasch

I’ve got an Ohm 1.0 thats been great so far. Its my “heavy hauler” as I usually don’t have a base weight above 7ish pounds. After long 15-20 mile days my shoulders and hips get pretty sore, which I’ve always had a problem with no matter what the pack.

Anyway thinking of upgrading/downgrading to try out the HMG for my heavy hauler. Wondering if anyone has experience with both packs and has some opinions. The HMG is certainly fancier material, though heavier. Wondering if the suspension/comfort factor is higher for the HMG.

James L
    BPL Member

@jimmerul

Don’t rule out the OHM 2.0..

The hipbelt is quite an upgrade over the OHM .

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralight-Backpack-Reviews/Ratings

OGL did test with various UL packs with 30 lb+ loads

as always with packs the FIT is key and trumps everything else

;)

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Both the Ohm 2.0 and Windrider are great packs. I preferred the organizational features of the Ohm, but felt that the HMG packs carried a bit better at heavier weights.

if you’re looking for packs in this range, I can highly recommend the Katabatic Gear Helios (comes in 40 and 55 liter versions, 2 fabric types). The frame sheet is more rigid the pockets are plentiful and easily accessible.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I have two HMG heavy hauler packs – Southwest 4400 and Porter 4400.   Both have performed admirably with big loads – I’ve hauled 15 liters of water + gear with the Southwest and used the Porter on a glacier trip, carrying skis, snowshoes, crampons, camping gear, etc.  Both rode well, handled the loads well, and were comfortable – mine are size medium which seems to be the perfect fit for me.  The Porter 4400 is pictured below (buried beneath all the gear).  I wore it skiing on the glacier, several rappels down the toe of the glacier, snowshoeing and hiking on trails.  

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 on this comment –   Don’t rule out the OHM 2.0..  The hipbelt is quite an upgrade over the OHM .

I’ve been using ULA packs almost exclusively since 2002.  Love them.   I  tried an Ohm-1 but couldn’t make it work for even 15 miles and 15 pounds.  The hipbelt design didn’t work for me.  The Ohm-2 has the normal ULA hipbelt and it is a different and better beast.  HMG has a better suspension than the Ohm-2 for heavy loads, but for 25 pounds the Ohm-2 is just fine, and if you like the configuration more than the HMG then it will be just fine.

My current ULA Circuit is worn out, and I’m currently testing a friend’s OMG before I replace it.  For me (and I’m fussy), the petite hipbelt pockets on the OMG are a show-stopper, and I’ll be replacing my Circuit with another Circuit.  A hipbelt pocket that isn’t large enough to carry my sunglasses is a dud.  My husband uses the Ohm-2, but I carry all the bulky stuff and I need the bigger volume pack.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Like Aaron, I like the organizational features of the Ohm better. I’ve extensively used the original Ohm and mildly used HMG packs. The waterproofness of the Windrider fabric is really nice but I found the carrying ability no better. Both packs were satisfactory to me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools