Topic

ULA Fastpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

ULA has finally released their Fastpack.  Looks interesting, I would like to see better detailed photos of the vest harness.

ULA Fastpack

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oooooh! Interesting!

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Very interesting.

And agree about better vest photos.

I find it somewhat fascinating that when you go through the process of making the concept, then designing the whole pack, produce patterns, make a prototype, have it tested etc. etc. But then you take some quick unclear global snap shots to show the pack to the world – pictures that are almost the only means for potential customers to form an idea of what the pack is and if it might work for them.

I would really like to see the front / harness / vest part of this pack. I have an Ohm 2.0 and while I never use it, it’s really great and love that the back or ‘pack’ part seems the same or very similar.

With a pack like this I think fit and weight distribution, how comfortable it carries and how well it limits bounce is one of the more important factors when I compare it to for example an Ultimate Direction Fastpack 20 or 30, or Montane Dragon 20, or even a normal light day pack.

Apart from that the front layout and how well the pockets work are main factors to consider. Sometimes bigger pockets are nice, but sometimes smaller separate pockets for specific functions work faster and are less fiddly when on the move.

Proper images won’t ensure me of anything of course but they would sure help.  Wouldn’t you want to show of your design and the decisions that were made that make this pack the way it is?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

My guess is they threw it out there as quickly as possible since nearing the holiday, but better pics would definitely be nice. I do like what parts of the pack that you can see.  Still looking for something similar only about 10oz lighter though.

Ryan

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I emailed Chris at ULA asking for more photos and details. I asked about the harness system which he described as a “single strap in a Z, pull the bottom forward to tighten it”. I don’t think these images are going to win any awards for clarity but they help a little.

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia

Those photos add a little more info.  Still pretty bad, though.  Seriously, why would you neglect to show the main thing that sets this pack apart from others?  The one photo that shows the harness in use is so dark that you can’t see any detail.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yes. Agreed. A couple of photos wearing a light colored shirt would answer a ton of questions. I am tempted to buy one just to answer the dang questions.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They do have a decent return policy. Is that really considered a vest?

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

Thanks for posting the photos Matt.  Ken makes a good point, from the limited perspective of the photos, that really doesn’t look much like a vest, just pocket loaded shoulder straps.

I’ve been wanting to try out a pack with a vest harness for a while now.  I’m certainly no runner but I like to move quick at times and I dislike waist belts, so a vest style harness seems to make sense for me.   I’ve been eagerly waiting to see what MLD comes up with, just hope it isn’t cuben.  That’s right, I said it.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m definitely not a runner but I tried on a Nathan hydration pack at REI and was amazed at how it connected with my whole ribcage. The connection felt very direct and comfortable.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I ordered the fastpack because I’ve been looking for an updated vest style pack for running/hiking. Unfortunately, I think I’ll be returning it.

Pros:

The packbag itself is great and well organized. The straps do widen out at the bottom and connect to the pack in a Z pulley-type system like most vest style packs. The pockets on the front are generously sized and easy to access.

Cons:

There is only one sternum strap and it is non-adjustable. For me, this means i can’t secure the pack enough at chest level to prevent fairly significant bounce when attempting a light jog. This is a deal breaker for any vest style pack. In addition the pack is pretty wide compared to most vest packs, which I find increases lateral movement and bounce.

Compared to the older version of the SMD Flight 30 I have, the Flight does a much better job of stabilizing and allowing for running, even without its hipbelt. I think I’ll hold on to the flight for now and look into the MLD FKT pack once more details are released.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Ken – I was typing on my phone and it must have autocorrected “staff” in there.

Here are a few pictures:

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Aaron,

How do you think the Fastpack would function as a small, lightweight pack for UL weekend trips? I’m not a runner but it’s about the right size for me with a couple days of food and I don’t like hipbelts and I do like carrying water and food up front.

Steven Maxfield
    BPL Member

@fredmax56

Locale: New England

I sent an email to Chris at ULA about adding a second strap to my Fastpack. Chris said it can be done. I am planning to do so. Otherwise I am happy with my orange Fastpack.

Fred

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

How about some photos of it on you? The photographic documentation of this pack has been lacking…

I’m very interested in hearing more about this pack as a light pack for two or three night trips rather than its intended application and running pack. Any thoughts on that?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

What I can’t get past is the weight of this pack. 26oz for fastpacking? Does not compute.

Jared J
    BPL Member

@jared_j

Bumping this to see if there’s any longer term feedback.  Like OP, I like a lot of the features on paper but would like to see more photos.  I’m kinda concerned that the bottle pockets “ride low”.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’d just like to see more photos of it on people.

S. Steele
    Spectator

@sbsteele

Locale: North Central New Jersey

I noted the ULA site photo of the model wearing the backpack. The front tie down strap is located well below the sternum. Being a diaphragmatic breather, I see the straps’ location a limitation particularly for trail-running as it would result in reduced breathing capability for speed, ascensions and comfort. If the strap is not vertically adjustable, comfort and breathing is an impediment.

I don’t know about you folks, but I don’t enjoy bottles that need to be removed from storage – time wasted in removing and replacing as well as potential dropage and damage could result. I prefer either inverting a bottle and using a cap adapter with tubing and bite valve. A vertically disposed bottle would require a tube inside at the bottom of the bottle with a cap and special adapter or special cap to accommodate an inside tube. Finding such a cap/adapter has not been successful. I have to modify an existing cap adapter using medical grade urethane to secure the inside tube to the adapter. The negative of the inverted bottle which is a simple solution is potential leakage possibly eliminated using plumbers teflon tape. I have had minor leakage on occasion and I’ve not tried using the tape to date. Opening the cap on numerous occasions would probably require additional use of the tape.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

S. Steele
    Spectator

@sbsteele

Locale: North Central New Jersey

To: Ken T.,
    You’re terrific! Much appreciated. I will buy the bottle. With the various caps, it looks feasible that it would work for my 1 liter and 1-1/2 liter bottles. It would be good if they also produced a 90 degree adapter to reduce potential damage to the outside hose connector.
    Two important factors in case you’re not aware:
    The bottle should be located in the center of your pack, otherwise you will waste energy thrusting the bottle(s) forward and back either hiking or running.
    Secondly, a long pack that extends to your hips or lower will substantially reduce your normal pace. Years ago when I put on a long pack, I was shortly aware that I couldn’t move at my normal pace. I lifted the shoulder straps high and lowered them down in front and then I was able to move at my normal pace. I’m not sure if the force sensors connected to the balance system of the body are responsible, possibly the thrusting of the hips or an other factor limiting the natural horizontal pendulum motion of the body. Experiment if you’re interested.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Here’s another bottle/tube converter: Blue Desert SmarTube Hydration System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GM6LWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3WsmybN4W1RYF

You can diy it too. I drilled a hole in a Smartwater cap for a hydration tube to friction fit into and then drilled a very small breather hole next to it. It works great other than the breather hole will drubble if you bend over to tie your shoes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools