Topic

Tarptent Stratospire 1 Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tarptent Stratospire 1 Review

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Chase Jordan
    Admin

@chasemilo99-2

Locale: Northeast US

Companion forum thread to: Tarptent Stratospire 1 Review

This Tarptent Stratospire 1 Review highlights one of the most livable and stormworthy lightweight solo tents available.

Ed Biermann
    BPL Member

@longstride

I am surprised that this hasn’t had the BPL treatment in the four years it has been on the market. Congratulations Chase.

First look Aug. 2011

Watch Franco’s setup videos

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Great work, Chase!

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

I’m not a trekking pole user – so the fact that it requires trekking poles makes its use a bit of a hassle for me, requiring the additional cost (minor, only $18) and weight (5.1 oz) of optional shock-corded aluminum poles.

Just FYI, those poles are not optimal / recommended for strong winds or snow.   We offer a $32, 8-ounce “vertical support pole” set that collapses to 16in and is much stronger and stiffer.  That pole set is very close to trekking pole performance and the way to go for serious use if you’re not a trekking pole user or don’t want to bring your regular poles on a bike, canoe, or airline trip.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

The one kinda/sorta downside, in my opinion, of the Stratospire is the larger area required for set up as compared to most solo shelters I’ve used.  Now, for people who camp in areas where there are plenty of spacious sites, this matters not at all.  For me, there have been a couple of times where it was a pretty tight fit in the available sites.

HJ

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The feature many like about the SS1/2 is thge large vestibules, that of course translates into a largish footprint.

Still if you consider the space guylines take with some similar tents, it isn’t all that big.

In emergencies you can eliminate one or both vestibules as long as you have somewhere to guy the apex out.

This is my SS2 with one vestibule only in use :

much easier to think of/do if you set it up my way where the rectangular sleeping area is set up first and then the vestibules are pulled out or as in this case not pulled out.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I think the Stratosphere is one of Henry’s most innovative designs yet. If I didn’t already have a Moment DW I’d be very tempted to get a Stratosphere 1 W/ “solid” ripstop interior.

This tent is roomy!

Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

Great tent and review and video. Thanks.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I owned both the StratoSpire 1 and 2 for a time. On level sites I found them very easy to pitch well, but on uneven ground the SS2 was more forgiving than the SS1. The larger geometry worked better for me. Both were very good at wind shedding. Some time after selling them, I returned to the fold with the Notch, and in retrospect I appreciated the StratoSpire’s offset trekking pole design even more.

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Locale: www.smarterbackpacking.com; www.fjaderlatt.se

I found this comment interesting. What are the nuts and bolts of that?

“Silnylon fabric is less resistant to condensation than Cuben Fiber.”

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

yes , good point.
    I still haven’t seen a side by side comparison using the same shelter made with the two materials and a few of those exist.
    On a thread that was up a few years ago someone put these two photos up apparently to prove how CF was better :

somehow it wasn’t obvious that an Hexamid has a lot more airflow than a fully enclosed Wild Oasis.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Nice review, Chase.

David L
    BPL Member

@family-guy-2-2

“I found this comment interesting. What are the nuts and bolts of that?

“Silnylon fabric is less resistant to condensation than Cuben Fiber.”

Not sure I believe that statement as written.  Water does seem to cling to silnylon a little more but I have no idea how cuben would somehow be less resistant to condensation as it implies that the fabric breathes to a degree.  Which it doesn’t.  The design of a shelter has a much bigger effect on managing condensation.  IMHO.

Cas Berentsen
    BPL Member

@p9qx

Why did you choose the Stratospire over the Notch?

Is it better wind stability and more space?

I have been using the (much ligher) Notch for several seasons and am very content with it and can highly recommend it. The balance between, weight, space and ventilation is very good. Only when I pitch the tent I use big stones to prevent the stakes from moving in strong wind conditions

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Tarptent Stratospire 1 Review’ is closed to new replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools