Topic

Tarptent Moment DW Mod Ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Moment DW Mod Ideas

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Locale: PNW

Hi Folks, posting under a new username as my previous account had expired, I’ve been enjoying the Tarptent Moment DW since I started using it last season. I like this tent design and tunnel concept so much that I’m considering a few mods to get this closer in weight to the realm of the FL UL1 or Nemo Hornet 1P (29oz) my Moment DW after seam sealing weighs in around 37-38oz, here are a few of my ideas:

1. Remove 1 side door from the inner (it is a one person tent after all and the 2 door ability has not been of any real benefit on any of my trips the single vestibule is large enough for any of the gear I have needed to take with me.
    2. Remove the zippers from both fly doors and use hooks at the bottom
    3. Remove all of the extra loops, pole pockets and velcro for the crossing pole. (keep it a true 3 season)

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The second door is a bit of a Tarptent point of difference , one that started with the Scarp.
    After that it has been used in the Notch and StratoSpire 1 with many customers commenting positively on it.
    But as you state, it does add some weight.
    Maybe you should investigate getting a simple mesh bug inner and adapt it to the shape of the Moment.
    That will keep your original inner as is and maybe give you a lighter option and see how it works for you.
    Something like this :

(S2S mosquito shelter)

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Thanks for your comments and advice Franco. I agree the dual door feature was actually one of the reasons I purchased the Moment DW but as it turns out it just hasn’t been functionally useful in a 1P tent and ultimately I would prefer on balance not having it and saving the weight. :) I actually thing the Moment DW could be made significantly lighter which would make it truly my dream shelter!

-Michael

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

We could use thinner/lighter fabrics (others do) but Henry’s focus is on lightweight but affordable and durable shelters with a point of difference when possible.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Does the fly of the moment drop all the way to the ground?

i always wondered about that as ive see all the pics where it has a bit of a gap when pitched

;)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Eric,
    No.
    Air flow has been something that Henry has worked very hard to have throughout the range.
    Some do complain about some shelters possibly being to breezy, yet others complain about condensation (particularly with single hoop tents) in their down to the ground fly.
    As they say, pick your poison.
    (personally I prefer cooler (lower temps) but dryer to warmer (higher temps) but wetter…)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

thanks franco

it just seemed a bit funny to me …. The moment looks like a 3+ season tent with the additional pole …. Being able to drop it to the ground seemed like the logical thing, especially if using it as a tarp

perhaps the best comparison is against thr TN laser comp …. Over which the moment appears to have several advantages, except for the air gap

on a side note i think its a shame that the use of the fly being used alone is not as promoted on these style tents

it makes then very flexible

;)

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

I get condensation in the Moment DW as I did in every other tent I and my friends have used. Though most of my travel is in the PNW and with the exception of using just a mesh inner there are no tents that will not produce condensation on the inner fly given the right conditions (which is often here.)

-Michael

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

If you remove the zippers from the inner and outer on one side, that would probably save 1.5-2.5 oz

By removing the extra loops and velcro, etc for the crossing pole, maybe you can save another 1 oz

Do you already have the carbon fiber pole for the Moment? Have you looked into making your own, for example, from Fibraplex?

Along the lines of what Franco suggested, could you sew up a lighter inner tent?

There are probably many little things you could trim off to save a couple more oz, but you might be better off trying to find a single-wall Moment

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

“I get condensation in the Moment DW as I did in every other tent I and my friends have used.”
    Yes.
    The idea is to reduce condensation but there are situation when nothing apart from a stove or a big fan will work.
    If you wake up to wet ground after a rainless night, your tent will be wet, ANY TENT…
    Eric,
    curious that you mention the Laser Comp.. Google ” Laser Competition condensation ”
    and see what you get.
    A way to reduce condensation on that one is to keep the fly door open, something that has been suggested by some in a long thread here about another brand that has the flies down to the ground.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Franco …

i have a laser comp and used it in the 50mm+ a day rain storms we had last month

As long as i open the double zip door somewhat the condensation wasnt bad … I actually left some cardboard under the outer to see if theres any leaks or condensation drips …. And it was fine

the down bag got a bit damp but not from drip or external condensation … Rather from general body vapor and an inability to dry in 100% humidity after a few days

The ground was quite soggy and the rain was freezing

Were getting a few more 30-40mm days with no sun for a week coming …

Im working on something thatll keep the down bag dry despite the constant humidity and lack of sun

;)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Mods? You want Moment DW MODS??

Go to the Tarptent Thread and you’ll see my Moment DW modded for 4 season use. The optional X-ing pole runs inside the fly secured with sewn-in double sided Velcro cable wraps, This gives the fly more support in high wind and snow loads. I’ve added 4 fly hem stake loops and pe-made 4 reflective Triptease guy lines with snap hooks and LineLoc tensioning sliders, two guy lines for the main pole and one for each end to use with hiking or ski poles.

Now my tent is ready for all seasons including high winds. Unlike Michael I went the other way and made mine winter ready. The only real increased weight is the X-ing pole – when I use it. I did remove the exterior X-ng pole straps and used the grosgrain ribbon from them for my fly hem stake loops.

BTW, Michael, Please ask that this thread be posted in “Tarptent Thread”, just like the “Hilleberg Thread” does.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Thanks Eric I’ve seen your excellent mods if I did more winter camping I would for sure consider those. In fact I love the Moment DW design and function so much I would consider owning a second one to receive your mods for that purpose. I’m much more interested in an ultra light version of the tent. Similar really to some of the Terra Nove designs with a blend of some of zpacks zipper less ideas.

Mods please do feel free to move this to the Tarptent thread.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Michael,

I had the original TT Moment single wall and sold it. That to me is a very good 3 season tent with its excellent ventilation. If you can find one buy it if it’s in good condition.

Eric,

I agree that the Moment fly makes a nice “tarp” in bugless areas. A lot of Henry’s double wall tents can be used this way like my Scarp 2. So if Michael doesn’t want the extra expense  of a single wall Moment he can try just the Moment DW fly and a light groundcloth.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools