Topic

Study shows best ways to keep mosquitos from biting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Study shows best ways to keep mosquitos from biting

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Locale: Canada

DEET has been the only thing that worked for me in the Canadian North Woods however some interesting alternatives suggested here.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/01/30/464740275/whats-the-best-way-to-keep-mosquitoes-from-biting

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interestingly, according to that study, the Cutter Lemon Eucalyptus worked significantly better after 4 hrs than the 25% Deet, and was almost on par with the 98.11% Deet.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

1. I was disappointed that the BioUD product I bought last year but didn’t get a chance to try wasn’t tested…then I looked it up and found it is no longer marketed [edit: oops, yes it is, it just wouldn’t display on my phone when I looked it up].  The active ingredient, from tomato plants, was supposed to have tested more effective than DEET.  I imagine this year there will be a lot more mosquitoes out in CA for me to try it against…
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

They didn’t test picaridin, but they did say this:

Actually, Strickman gives the edge to picardin.

“Picaridin is a little more effective than DEET and seems to keep mosquitoes at a greater distance,” he says. When people use DEET, mosquitoes may land on them but not bite. When they use a product containing picaridin, mosquitoes are less likely to even land.

They didn’t say anything about treating the clothing with permethrin, though.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve long been a fan of DEET, but in New Zealand last winter (their summer), I took a few opportunities to compare DEET on one leg and some locally-available eucalyptus preparation on the other leg while I watched and swatted.  The eucalyptus lotion did better for “sand flies” (what Alaskans call “white socks” – a small biting fly) than the DEET did.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Insect Shield clothing. No mess, no fuss. Completely effective in the 5+ years I’ve been using it…exclusively.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Question is though, are the mosquitoes worse for your health or the toxic chemicals that ward them off? Personally, I don’t trust the chemicals so I simply wear long sleeve shirts and pants and a head net. I haven’t used chemical repellent in many years… none…. not a drop….  And don’t use much sun screen either for the same reasons. When you have some time google the active ingredients in your favorite mosquito repellent… many of them are neurotoxins and/or carcinogenic…. you may be shocked. Of course, the manufacturers say they are safe… and you want to believe them, right?  :)

Buy here is one of the best things to keep the mosquitoes off: Hike with a person they like better than you! I have one friend who every time we go hiking all the mosquitoes end up on him and not me… geez I love that :)

billy

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

We’ve had good luck with the cutter here on the east coast.  How about ticks?  Lyme is the big concern here.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Up here in Minnesota our mosquitos are the size of b52 bombers. I wear a head net and have sent my hiking clothes to Georgia to get insect treated. The last few years have been wonderful. Others around me get bit and find ticks on them selves but not me.?

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

The study states that vitamin B showed no results in repelling mosquitos. This leaves me wondering how they administered the B vitamins, the dosages and for how long it was continuously taken before testing. My experience has been that taking B vitamins for several days at fairly high dose rates keeps the mosquitos from bothering me, while others have no choice but to wear head nets, protective clothing and DEET.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Question is though, are the mosquitoes worse for your health or the toxic chemicals that ward them off?

Depends on your location, but very often the answer to that question is a resounding “yes!” with diseases like West Nile, Zika, Malaria, and Lyme in the mix.

Of course, the manufacturers say they are safe…

…and the CDC, and the WHO, and the EPA, and the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Environmental Working Group, and…

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Locale: Canada

i found the Picardin bit to be interesting. I was thinking if I put it on and it keeps them away for a 10 foot distance then it would probably help my poor dog too.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Anthony. My thoughts exactly. I will be using a hammock/tarp set up on the AT. I am hoping by spraying everything with picardian, I could sit under the tarp to cook etc. without being eaten alive.

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

Victoria,

Shug has had good results with the little fan powered off clip on things.  Something like that might be the way to go for under the tarp.  They look really light weight.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Todd. You know I did think of that, then quickly dismissed it. Being a gram weinne sucks at times. ?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

You think mosquitos are bad? TRY BLACKFLIES!

I have the only known substance that repels black flies. Got it in Michigan near the Au Sable River years ago. It’s a clear liquid and I can’t locate the bottle right now but boy does it work.

DEET, on the other hand seems to attract them. (Yeah, tell me about it.)

BTW, I take extra Vitamin E starting 2 days before a trip into mosquito areas. It helps a lot.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Eric. Do us all a favor who live in black fly areas and find that dog gone can!!! ?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

OK Vicki, I’ll look on Valentine’s Day and report back. I saw it just a few months ago but with “old-timer’s disease” I can’t remember where. Maybe in my equipment box.

(Now where did I put that equipment box?) ;o)

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

???? Eric. I know that feeling. Who am I? Where am I? I did spray the Picarian on some cuben gaiters with no damage. When weather warms up, I am going to spray my tarp.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

My experience with Picaridin is that it keeps Mosquitos about 6-8″ away from treated skin.  It is entertaining to stick your arm into a swarm and see them move away like you have a force field turned on.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Looking for that update on the repellant that works against black flies. Any news? I’d love to find and try it. In my experience nothing really works to repel black flies except full coverage with heavy clothing and any openings – cuffs, socks, neckline- taped shut. Even then they sometimes find their way in.  Bites last weeks and sometimes get infected. They are wicked!

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Karen, hopefully Eric will find the can.  I know what you mean about the infected part.  My sister ended up in the emergency room from a camping trip up in Ely, Minn. The flies attacked her like crazy and her neck swelled up.  Nasty critters……

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Black Flies are bad. But, I disagree about them not “obeying” DEET.

I do spend every spring (at least a few weeks of it) out. I hike the ADK’s, NY. This is one of the toughest black fly areas worldwide. I typically get one or two bites per week between May/June.

It is usually a combination of things that let me do this. They are cold blooded and really require around 60-70F to be active. They home in on body heat from any distance.Heavier clothing works well to help insulate that heat from them. They often swarm the head, being the warmest part of the body. A hat helps to cover your heat signature, too.They also swarm on CO2, but you cannot avoid breathing. Sometimes, the rocks around the fire-pit are black colored from the black flys that like to swarm to heat.

Of course close fitting cloths are a must, no  gaps in sleeves or collars. (I use rubber bands to keep them out of my wrists and never wear button shirts.) Tuck your pants into your socks. With a good hiking shirt, this will stop 90% of the bugs, only the face and hands are ever exposed. It is often a bit warm at 60F, so slowing down a bit will let you stay cooler.

Black Flys have no proboscis. They cannot bite through clothing. They need to chew through your skin to get any blood. Cloths help with this.

They do not like smoke. Any smoke such as: a smokey fire(smudge fire,) a pipe, a few cigars, cigarettes, etc.  My wife and daughter often bring a couple packs of cigarettes to light to fend off bugs while hiking. My pipe works well as does a cigar while hiking.

Keep moving when they are active. A simple walking pace will eliminate 90% of the bug clouds. Stopping for 5min will let them build up into a big cloud. Walking will let you stay pretty sane, so, typically, I hike from when I see the bugs in the morning to about the time they start tapering off in the evening, roughly about 8-10 hours. Except for brief 1-2minute rests, I just keep moving. Sitting and cooking lunch is definitely NOT a good idea in mid day and I usually skip it.

Seek out open, windy & sunny areas to set up camp. A little breeze will disburse your body heat faster leading to fewer bug clouds around you. Being cold blooded, they really do not like warm sunshine. While it doesn’t really stop them, it sure cuts down on the quantity.  While hiking, these are good places for a rest stop. If you are canoeing, stay as far away from shore as possible. They do not care to cover open water.

At night, evenings, as the temp falls, so goes the Black Flys. They never bother me at cooler temps, so, don’t be afraid to camp somewhere. They are not very active even if they are awake. They often just crawl around on your clothing. This is my signal to pack up and leave. Of course a piece of netting keeps them off your face. But, since the various species of mosquitoes are often active at night, these can prove to be annoying at night, without a piece of net, anyway.

50% DEET (DEET + White Gas). This is usually sprayed over my clothing pretty well. (Once in the morning, does it.) Good for 12-16 hours or so.   After 2 or 3 sprayings, it is good for almost the rest of a week. But it is oily. Any water will wash it off so rain and dipping in a stream is not a good idea. Warm, intermittent,  drizzly days with a lot of cloud cover are not good. DEET does slow the black flies down a LOT. It is about the only chemical that works against them. They will not chew through DEET covered skin, they will simply crawl around looking for a good place to chew on. I spray my hair (what there is left of it, anyway) and my hat brim. This protects my neck and most of my head really well from the “bleeders.” Really, I only spray my hands, face and neck.

Picardin works OK against mosquitoes. But it doesn’t do a damn for black flys. Nor does eucalyptus, Skin-So-Soft, Natrepel, vitamins, or most mosquito concoctions. The old timers used to use kerosene mixes. It works OK against black flys, but you smell like a diesel truck. Even olive oil/vegetable oil works, as I found several years ago. Any oily substance will slow them down.

I use permethrin on all my camping cloths except my underwear. While not a big deterrent, at least I take pleasure in fighting back. Any bugs that get any exposure will eventually die. They pay for my blood.  REVENGE!!

DEET is about the bestest for the leastest.  But, it does not work against Deer Flys. As far as I know, nothing does. But it works on most other biters, at least marginally. ALL DEET products will ruin your bait fishing. Fish avoid DEET, too.Fly Fishing is OK, since these rely on visual queues.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools