Topic

Sizing of Ibex products

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sizing of Ibex products

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    x x
    BPL Member

@miikkapakarinen

Based on good reviews here, I decided to purchase two Ibex garments (Hooded Indie and the Woolies 1 Zip T-Neck) recently.

I must say that I am really disappointed with the two pieces, I bought them in correct size for me (men’s M), and both shirts are really short. When I raise my arms up the hem climbs up to expose my stomach. Wearing them doesn’t feel very comfortable, the shirts keep continuosly crawling up and I need to constantly draw them down. Also the hood on the Indie reaches only to halfway of the top of my head, and the hood is also really tight, there’s awkward tension downwards, which really bugs me. And don’t get me started on the neck zippers… I can’t fully zip them as the neck part comes, atleast for me, too far up. I need to leave them halfway open as not to have a zipper dug up to the skin under my neck…

Otherwise the sizing is OK. All garments in size L, have alway been too big for me, I am 5’9″ (175cm for the non USA people like me) and around 160lbs (72kg), so it shouldn’t be an issue of having the wrong size. After I received them I found online few people commenting on having the same problems as me.

The pieces themselves weren’t cheap and add to that the really expensive shipping here to Northern Europe and all the import duties and tax on top of that… I shouldn’t have taken the tags of when they arrived… Neither would I have wanted to go throught the hassle of paying another large sum of money to get them shipped back and I don’t even know if you cant get the import duties or tax I already paid back…

Long story short. Am I missing something here? These pieces have been raved about in here. Has anybody else had the same problems as I now have? I am now stuck with two really awkward feeling baselayers which I paid arm and leg for.

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

I recently got the Woolies 3 hoodie and really liked it, and based on that fit I’m surprised the Medium didn’t work for you (I’m 6’2″ and about 180lbs, and got the Medium). While I’d have preferred it if the torso was a couple inches longer (very common for Medium-sized clothing on me), overall I found it worked really well for me. Here’s a photo of how it fits me for reference. I only ordered mine a couple months ago, so unless they changed the sizing very recently, it makes me wonder if certain items are just sized inconsistently across their offerings.

Matt Orr
    BPL Member

@matto

Call them … They have phenomenal customer service … I can speak firsthand.

x x
    BPL Member

@miikkapakarinen

Peter, seems crazy that you being 4 inches taller than me, yours is a great fit, while when I raise up my arms with my shirt on, I get two inches of exposed skin… Crazy..

Based on Matt’s suggestions I’ll contact them as soon as I have time, and see what they have to say.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Matt is right, Ibex is an extremely customer-friendly manufacturer with great customer service.

x x
    BPL Member

@miikkapakarinen

Little bit off-topic, but can you Peter tell us a little about in what kind of temperatures, conditions and activities you use your Woolies 3 hoody? I am interested as I usually use my 200g/m2 merino wool baselayer or my Patagonia R1 Hoody under a windshirt in the wintertime here in Finland (Northern Europe, usually really cold). Sometimes the R1 is too hot but the 200g/m2 merino baselayer is a little bit too cold. Been wondering about adding a warmer merino baselayer to my kit. Have any thoughts about this?

PS. The red colored hoody looks really cool on you! Might have to think about adding some red on my clothing system too!

Kentz Willis
    BPL Member

@kentz_willis

my hooded indie is a bit short in the torso and hood for me as well. i still wear it but don’t reach for it as often as i thought i would due to the less-than-ideal fit. for reference i’m 5’10” 170# and wear medium tops in pretty much everything.

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

Yeah, it wasn’t a super tough test by any means- the low temperatures were probably about 25° with a little breeze at times, and used only the hood without another hat. I didn’t hike particularly long (a little over half a mile, with no elevation change) so it really wasn’t strenuous – I think that if we were working really hard it would have been too warm for those conditions, but I also think the temps could have dropped a ways further without needing another layer (I did have a t-shirt on to keep the woolies cleaner, but no other baselayer). Venting with the deep front zipper was pretty simple as well, which I did while hiking back out the next day as the temps had risen to about 30° plus direct sunlight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools