Topic

Rainbow, Moment DW, Notch or …….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rainbow, Moment DW, Notch or …….

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Craig
    Spectator

@cb83

Locale: Tulare County

I too broke away from my bivy after several years and went with the Notch last year.  At 6’1, I was concerned about space when I purchased it; but after spending so many years in a bivy it really feels very large to me – even though it isn’t.  I’ve been very happy with it – good ventilation options, easy setup, and it’s just nice not being enclosed in a bivy.

Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

You say it yourself: You doubt that the Akto performs much better. But lots of people are very confident in the performance of their Akto and take it into very harsh conditions. That trust is supported by numerous reports and videos like the one Franco posted above (in which I think the Akto makes a great impression given the wind speeds). I’d just like some comparable data on the Moment which seems to be missing almost entirely. There’s the video I posted that doesn’t really say much and that’s pretty much it. But then again, Kristin Gates took one on her ~50 day Alaska expedition IIRC.

Sure, the Moment in its intended 2-stake setup is not suited for very harsh conditions. But if you use the extra guy-out points, fix the ends of the arched pole with add. stakes, use 3 stakes instead of one at head- and footend (if that’s possible)… I’m wondering: How far does this get you?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

I have it on good authority that the Moment DW is nowhere near as strong as the Scarp 1 and really not comparable to the Atko (or Scarp 1) if for no other reason than 6+ stakes always beats 2.  It is true that the Moment DW has additional staking points and they help but you wont get Scarp 1 performance out of the Moment DW no matter how many stakes.

-H

Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

That’s an answer I can work with! Thanks a lot, Henry. And also big kudos for being honest about the limitations of your product, I wish all manufacturers would do that!

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I’m pretty sure that in it’s most nailed-down form the current version of the Moment uses 4 stakes, plus 2 more for guy lines. The 2 stake pitch is a minimum.

And as I mentioned it’s pretty simple to add more. Making it 8 plus 2 guylines by adding a tie-down for each panel midpoint would be handy for heavier winds.

If it’s any indication, Henry does offer a ‘winter’ inner for the Moment that’s less mesh and more fabric.

Nonetheless that video isn’t data. It is anecdote. As I have already said there are several testimonials about the Moment in winter conditions (five links) if you happen to want more anecdote.

That said, yes, the Akto being made of such heavier materials does put it in a different category. None of the ultralight shelters we favor here on BPL are going to be truly bomber. Just reasonably bomber. Even the much-vaunted TrailStar, though it excels in wind, fails with snow loading because it’s sides are not very steep.

So, I maintain that the Moment is reasonably bomber. By UL standards, which the Akto is not. No, I would not take it to Denali in winter. But then I wouldn’t take an Akto, either. There is simply no way that any single-pole shelter is going to stand up. Take it a bit further, to a 3 or 4 pole tunnel tent, and you have something.

Chris Mescia
    BPL Member

@cmescia

I have a strat2 when my wife joins me, and a notch for just me. As far  as the comments regarding the notch being hard to set up, I disagree. The Strat 1and Strat 2 definitely have a learning curve and seem pretty fiddly at first,  but once I had them figured out I can set up all three with no problems.   I got the Strat 1 as a birthday present for a friend who wanted it for 1 most all of the time but occ emergent option for his son to ditch his hammock and sleep with him.  I have heard that you can set them up without poles by stringing the guy line from the tie out points up to a tree, but that I have never tried and it seems like that would be a pain in the butt and useful only in an emergency.

I am 6 foot and weigh 165 pounds.   I find the notch roomy enough.   It is tighter than the others, but having dual vestibules makes the whole thing much more roomy, especially if you unzip the inner.  I have only had it out in moderate rain, and yes you can unzip a side and watch the rain without getting wet.  Had the Strat 2 in a good sized windy rainstorm and with the two extra guyouts it hung tough and never sagged with condensation.  Never had condensation issues in any of them except the first run with the strat2 and that was user error in learning a tight ridgeline.  If you expect your current poles to not last that long and you will get trekking poles then I would easily recommend a notch….you used to have a bivvy! It’s not like you are moving from an RV to a tent!   But if you won’t have trekking poles for a while, the double moment does sound like it might fit your needs.  I always appreciate Henry’s honesty and Franco’s useful info…tarptent is a great company I would recommend highly.  I bet either the double moment or notch you would live with just fine.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a Moment DW modded for 4 season use. (See the “Tarptent Thread” for photos.) It fares FAR better in heavy winds than the Hilleberg Akto because of my customized X-ing pole running inside the fly and secured there by sew-in double sided Velcro cable wraps. Additionally I have found the interior X-ing pole tends to push up on the main hoop pole, supporting it at the apex in high winds.

With that setup and 4 guy lines (2 on the main hoop pole and one at each end using hiking poles) and 4 fly hem stakes this tent IS bomber in heavy winds. I’ve tested it in an open field in frequent 65 mph. gusts and it is very stable.

The Moment is very fast to set up, has 2 vestibules and room to cook in a vestibule in bad weather. Ventilation is exceptional for a solo tent but can be closed up in extreme weather if necessary.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools