Topic

Rain Mits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain Mits

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Henri D
    BPL Member

@hdlv

Hi all,

First post here, long time BPL stocker, experienced UL hiker preparing for my first long distance thru hike.

Ill be hitting the AT heading southbound this June and am just wondering everyone’s opinion on Rain Mits. The rest of my rain kit includes a UL frog toggs jacket and rain skirt. I personally don’t see myself needing them but heck, what do I know.

Thanks for the help!

Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

I love my MLD eVent mitts. You can always try snagging those gas station Gas Mitts. Not breathable at all, but will keep your hands warm. I use them as VBLs with my BRG down mitts and MLD  rain mitts when it’s subfreezing

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My wife uses (and I occasionally steal) the North Face mitts above.  hers are 0.9oz and seem to work ok. They would not hold up well to long term use with poles IMO.

They also run VERY small so size way up.

I have avr a pair of Extremities tough bags with GT and they are tough but a lot heavier at 2.7oz.  The Haglofs Gram Shell mitts look interesting but you have to order from Europe.

I had a pair of MLD eVent mots which worked well. They were made out of a 2 or 2.5 layer material and eventually delaminated.  I bought a new pair that appear to be 3 layer but I got a large and they are way too big so I never used them.  I need to throw them on gearswap.

Andrew Brown
    Spectator

@asb87

Take a look at these Borah Gear mitts.  These eVent mitts seem like a very good alternative to MLD and ZPacks mitts at a cheaper price.  I don’t own these, so I can’t comment on their performance or durability; however, I’m planning on buying a pair sometime in the near future.  I’ve had good experiences with previous Borah Gear equipment.

James L
    BPL Member

@jimmerul

I own a pair of the Borah Gear mits. Nice quality for the $$$.
    The back and wrists are made of EVent for breathability and the palms are made of coated Black Curdura for toughness. Well thought out design, IMHO.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have worn my rain mitts in the rain on a day hike. It was winter in Southern California, so not terribly cold but not warm either. It’s nice to have dry hands but they actually felt too hot. It’s good to have them if the rain is fairly heavy as wet hands are annoying, but if it’s not cold, and it sounds like it won’t be cold where you are going, it’s probably not going to turn out very helpful. If it were me, I’d bring them and just mail them home if it was a mistake. Also, if it were me, I’d probably enjoy an AT hike more with an umbrella but then I think it’s fun to hike with an umbrella in the rain and a lot of people think it’s annoying.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

I’ve used Haglöfs paclite mitts for 5 years now. Love them. Still waterproof. Very light. Wouldn’t backpack without them.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

MLD mitts or DIY ones from tyvek. Wear wool liner gloves under them in cold weather.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I don’t think you will need them with your SOBO start. If you did at all it would only be in that first month and then you’ll be mailing them home. Although not the sexy choice, You could take two bread bags instead. Cheaper, lighter and you can just trash them when you don’t need them any longer.

Ryan

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

The Ms. and me picked up lightweight yet quite durable for the weight guantlet-style waterproof Cloudraker Mitts from MEC (Canada’s REI) for $19 U.S. on sale, and if I recall correctly their regular price wasn’t that much higher. They probably sell the same mitts now but under a different name. They have a patterned grip coating on the palm, an elastic wrist cinch and retainer cords. Lightweight and excellent value. Bought them after several MLD eVent Mitt users I pinged said they had durability issues with theirs (note that I’m not sure what gen of MLD mitts they were using or how they used them). Just look for the lightest pair of gauntlet style waterproof mitts MEC sells now.

Sizing note – they were sized very oversized. I’d typically wear a large or medium glove, and wear a small in these. The Ms, an XS.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools