Topic

Pedometer stats

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Pedometer stats

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I Just noticed my phone tracks my steps.

My walking is down since I moved those spring, but I’m still averaging around 6 miles per day.   Pants went from 32 to 36.  I’ve only been doing one 18-25 mile hike on the weekends.

How’s your stats ?

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

I had the impression more people had iPhones than this.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hey,  we have iPhone 5c’s where is this located?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Mine has a white square with a pink heart icon labelled health. I think it came free with the phone as an apple installed app.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

I like superfeet.  My stats come from weak feet, plus I’m old, overweight, losing 2 hours daily on a commute, and I can’t sustain a great pace like you 4MPH+ super hikers.

Lets to see some hardcore BPL walker stats from people with toughened up feet !

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I’m in the market for a simple pedometer that is accurate and counts steps and shows distance–that’s all. Fit Bits are expensive and show way more than I want; I don’t want to carry an Iphone around because it’s too bulky. Any suggestions?

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151749443403?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150313114020&meid=a3a3b79621194b95ad3fcb483cddaf6f&pid=100338&rk=4&rkt=29&mehot=pp&sd=111557903259&_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_mwBanner=1

I’m curious about these, but not enough to log in and read reviews.   There isn’t enough detail to tell if it can record on its own, and transfer the data later by Bluetooth, or it needs a Bluetooth device nearby to be useful.

The analog ones don’t work well at all, but at $0.98, I had low expectations.

I I thought I had accidentally installed a dating app.  As a sysadmin I naturally did what I would scold any user for doing, and opened it.    Turns out my phone had been tracking my activity all year.    I think 6 miles a day average for a year is top 1% of the U.S. Population.    But on BPL I expected to see some very impressive numbers.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

nobody ?   iOS is pretty popular.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Just remember that the sofa is off trail. Live Action Role Play is pretty popular I hear.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Jeffrey, I’ve had a very basic “New Lifestyles” brand pedometer for years. Mine has only steps, the Digi-Walker SW-200 model, but they have others with distance as well. My husband has another of their models, both have worked fine for us. Recommend getting the “safety strap” for an extra $3. It has a small clip to attach pedometer to clothing which supplements the included larger clip for the waistline. Cheap insurance so it doesn’t fall off. I hike each week with a group of women, many of whom carry FitBits, and none of theirs agree on distance, etc. I like a simple pedometer.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Jane, thanks for the review! I’m finding a lot of mixed messages with pedometers. The brand that you mention is spring loaded; I read on one site to avoid those, and that tri-axial pedometers were more accurate. But the reviews of almost all pedometers are really mixed, with people complaining about the accuracy of all of them. I thought that a shoe top pedometer might be most accurate, but the ones that I could find were all cheap and looked likely to break. Very interesting that the fit-bits in your group don’t agree! I don’t need anything beyond steps and distance, like you, so a fit bit is overkill unless it’s consistently more accurate than straightforward pedometers.

I can’t quite pull the trigger on any model because of the accuracy concerns! I’m over-thinking this.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

What I like about the 3D accelerometer based pedometers is that I can toss it in my pack and get stats.  I can throw my phone in my bag or pack and it keeps counting.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I’ve been using my fitbit for a couple months now, and find the distance to be overstated, by about a third. I do find the step count to be accurate.

Kelly

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

I’ve had fitbit for a couple of years.  The distance estimates seem to be OK on level ground, wildly generous on hilly ground, and somewhat stingy when running (in comparison to Google maps, posted mileage on maps, or a gps watch). In response to the OP, last year I averaged 11.6k steps per day, though I guess I’ve been slacking lately – only 9.6k avg this month.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

I think the iOS health kit uses GPS calibration and advanced m7 motion detection hocus pocus to estimate steps and distance.   I’m assuming it counts more non steps as steps, than it misses steps.   I still think it’s a neat app for something I have on me most of the time.

i think Fitbit also uses advanced acceleration and motion detection to count steps, but might estimate distance based on an average step size.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I usually have location services off and it seems to give a fairly accurate distance on level ground walking the dog

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Nice hike,  that’s a lot of steps, stairs and hours !      Is the stair count from an accessory device ?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

My brother and I did the Mailbox Peak-Old Trail hike yesterday. About 3,800 feet elevation gain in two and a half miles. My knees are dead today from the trip back down!

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/mailbox-peak-old-trail

“Is the stair count from an accessory device ?” : No, just the iPhone.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Maybe flights is an iPhone 6 feature ?.   I found the setting but I don’t have a device that provides the data.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Personal phone is dead and my work phone is configured in a way where I can’t take screen shots.  If anyone is on Strava and want to compare training or hiking notes, hit me up.  There aren’t too many Ian Bloom profiles on there and I’m the one in Washington.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

I’m on gaia, If people do that.

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools