Topic

November in New Zealand – multiday hikes recommended?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning November in New Zealand – multiday hikes recommended?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Debra Campbell
    Spectator

@campbelldnd

My husband and I are going to New Zealand from Nov 12 – Dec 5, 2016.  We have never been to NZ or ever hiked there but are experienced longtime backpackers.  We would like to do probably 2 weeks or more on trails and would be willing to include different areas if recommended.  We have always been tent people and are unfamiliar with hut overnights?  We would love to hear what trips are your favorites.  It is a once in a lifetime trip for us.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Debra,

I’ve done two NZ trips, one as a couple and over Christmas, a year ago, as two families.  I really like the hut system in NZ because it allows you to (1) carry less weight, (2) schlep less stuff with you as you travel overseas, (3) makes the trip rain or shine, since you’ll have a roof over your head and can dry out clothes each night and (4) you meet interesting people from all over the world in the huts.

All the huts I’ve been in have been on major, iconic trails and they all have sleeping pads in the bunkhouse and a place to dry clothes.  Some tracks’ huts also have stoves and fuel, while for others, you need to bring your own stove and fuel (or eat cold food).

We’ve done tramps in Abel Tasman National Park at the north end of the South Island in 1998 and 2015 and, on each trip, also did a tramp in Fjordlands NP (Milford Sound last year, and the Routeburn track previously).

Backing up, with only 3+ weeks, pick an Island, North or South, and only one island.  Could you see all of California in a month?  No.  So don’t try to trek back and forth between North and South Islands in only 3 weeks – the roads are scenic but slow, there’s a ferry crossing between the two, and I found it much nicer to stay on only one island.  Which island?  For us, the South Island is less populated, more rugged, more scenic and more temperate (less tropical) all of which recommend it.  If so, fly  internationally directly into Christchurch.  If connecting through Aukland, then any South Island city could be your starting point and you could rent a car one way and return out of another city to minimize your driving.

We were going for Christmas break this last time – their busiest time – and we were on the website, at 8 am NZ time the proscribed day, getting our reservations for the huts and trails.  We met a family that didn’t type fast enough for their larger group and ended up with their second-choice dates because of it.  So I’d suggest having a Plan A and Plan B for each of two parks with a further back-up of going to one of the less iconic, non-“Great Walks” if you couldn’t get reservations for the days you wanted.  For Fjordlands, my first choice would be Milford Sound (57 km and seemingly ever km had as many waterfalls as Yosemite) and Routeburn track second.  For Abel Tasman the coastal track had a little more up and down than some other choices but very varied terrain and views. (Remember, you ought to be able to pack very light, without tent, pad, only a light-weight quilt, and minimal extra clothes).

I guess the biggest advice I’d give about using huts for the first time is to realize how much lighter you can go with a solid roof over your head each night.  If you don’t bring cotton clothes, your clothes can dry out each night.  A single change of clothes for use in the cabin is nice to have and maybe the lightest flip-flops to let your hiking shoes air out overnight.  Because you’re traveling along with generally the same group of people, you quickly get to know other hikers so if you are a little light on food, need a bandaid, or something, you can probably get some from someone else (i.e. you don’t have to pack for every last contingency). It generally wasn’t a problem, but foam ear plugs weigh about nothing, but are REALLY helpful if needed due to someone snoring.

Oh, and the huts have SHOWERS!  Sometimes heated, sometimes not.  How great is that?

We had great luck with AirBnB for lodging between tramps.  Some were city hotels, some were “bachs” (vacation cottages), while others were campgrounds which, like American KOAs, offer RV (“caravan”) sites, but unlike in the USA also had tent sites and small, minimal cabins with bunks and they all have access to the shower house, laundry facilities, and a full kitchen /dining hall with pots, pans, plates, and utensils.

And this sounds stupid, but really, just do it (we’ve hosted young women from Britain, Scotland, England and Thailand and it really does help): Make a little sign saying “Stay Left” with a left arrow and tape it on the dashboard, in front of the driver so it is there for quick reference if/when one momentarily gets disoriented.  Also, the morning greeting to the driver (me) was always, “Stay to the left.” as I’d start off each day’s drive.

Debra Campbell
    Spectator

@campbelldnd

Thank you so much for responding, David.  This was very helpful.  We are going to the south island.  I especially liked your recommendation “Stay Left” and trying the huts because you meet interesting people.  On so many of our long backpack trips, we look forward to being out and away from people but we have often found that the people we have interacted with on the trail turns out to be one of the biggest rewards.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

Here’s some other threads where I posted some of my favourite multi-day tramps outside of the “Great Walks”.

http://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/77390/#660543

http://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/94880/#805918

David is right about the hut network and I view it as one of the unique parts of the tramping culture in NZ. (although most DOC huts are pretty basic – no showers)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools