Topic

New Trip Report/ Guide: Torres del Paine W Trek and Circuit Trek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports New Trip Report/ Guide: Torres del Paine W Trek and Circuit Trek

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alan Dixon
    Spectator

@alandixon

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

http://www.adventurealan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/torres-del-paine-plain.jpg

Based on our recent completion of the Circuit in 4.5 days… Lots of great photos!

Torres del Paine W Trek and Circuit Trek – Quick and Easy Guide to Essential Trip Planning
    We believe this is the best guide to the Torres del Paine W Trek and Circuit Treks, in-print or online. This guide was inspired by Alison and I finding a scarcity of accurate and up-to-date information on how to plan for recent trek of Torres del Paine. In fact mainstream, supposedly reputable materials about the trek were missing essential information, out-of-date, or just plain wrong. Here is the information gathered from our recent Circuit Trek in Torres de Paine.

The Torres del Paine W Trek and Circuit Trek (or ‘O’ Trek) have a well deserved reputation as world class backpacking trips. The Torres del Paine Park has the goods, with stunning views at every turn. Massive glaciers, including the vast Heilo Sur (Southern Ice Shelf) the second largest non-polar ice field on the planet. There are immense towers of rock, rushing mountain streams and waterfalls, huge azure lakes, and sublime fields of wildflowers—Andean Condors with a wingspan of over 10 feet soar overhead. Finally, you’ll meet interesting people from all over the world on this trek, the Torres provide true global trekking.

Glacier Grey, a 7 km (4.5 mile) wide river of ice that flows down from the immense Heilo Sur (this Southern Patagonian Ice Field is the second largest non-polar ice shelf). Glacier Grey’s origin from the Heilo Sur is at the upper right of the photo between the snow covered mountains of the Southern Andes.

The Torres del Paine W Trek the Circuit Trek are more accessible and more manageable than other world-renowned treks like the John Muir trail or Tour de Mont Blanc. The Torres del Paine treks are shorter and less strenuous. The classic W trek can be done in as little as 3 days. And we comfortably did the Circuit Trek in 4.5 hiking days with plenty of time to gawk and take photos. The treks do not have a lot of elevation gain or loss. All the hiking is near sea level so there’s no altitude to deal with. The park has excellent trails with good signage. It is almost impossible to get off route or lost. Water is plentiful and in the campsites can be drunk without treatment. You are never far from help. There are ranger stations and/or campgrounds about every four hiking hours. In fact, the Torres del Paine would be a trek in the park if it weren’t for periods of nasty Patagonian weather and strong winds—very strong winds. Even so, the Torres is an entry level trip for many backpackers and trekkers. It is also a great way to start trekking in South America which has almost endless opportunities for more fantastic treks!

Enjoy!  -Alan

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

why did you guys bring bear canisters?

Alan Dixon
    Spectator

@alandixon

Didn’t.  No bears in Patagonia :-) But thanks, I will amend that we didn’t take bear canisters. -a

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

HA!  had me confused for a bit.  We did the circuit in 2011 DURING the fire – meaning as we approached campsites near Grey and Frances they would open – it was weird.  They actually showed us how to spot fires that would crop up in the ground (the fires would travel in the underground root system) and how to put them out.  We had to do that a few times – but it was eerily beautiful then.  Paine Grande was closed (sounds like it still is?) and we were able to score beds at the refugio at the last minute for $10 including food because they still had no heat, no electricity and it smelled like smoke.  Quite the adventure!

Looks like it’s blooming a lot now – great to hear.  It was DEVASTATED when we went.

Alan Dixon
    Spectator

@alandixon

Wow, that sounds EPIC. The Park is beautiful again. There are some silvery stumps, but the ground cover is re-vegetated. Burn area “on the Circuit” is mostly contained from Refugio Grey to Refugio Paine Grande (which is open full force). Most of there rest of the Circuit is untouched by the fire.

Let’s hope it stays that way. -a

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Great information!  I appreciate how much time it takes to present all that information in a useful and organized manner.  This is extremely useful, and some day we’ll try to get down there to take this hike.  Amy

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Amy,

My wife and I went in 2014 and Patagonia should be on everyone’s bucket list. Absolutely fantastic. Make sure you allow plenty of time for things other than backpacking. The people, food and scenery are incredible. Also try to get over into Argentina for a few days.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools