Topic

My (somewhat) cold weather hang. W/Pics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping My (somewhat) cold weather hang. W/Pics

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Stefan Hoffman
    BPL Member

@sphinx

Locale: High Desert

Just thought i would try to wake the hammock forum up a bit. I just updated some of my kit so i can handle some weather up at the top of the tree line in the shoulder seasons. I have a nice little asym cuben tarp (not pictured) but i almost never even set it up here in Nevada or Utah or Alaska, so the guyline system is rudimentary with a simple 7 feet of Lash-It on each corner and no stakes. I don’t feel the need to refine that bit.

Im trying to figure out an acceptable system for tree straps. I find that many trees dont mind the amsteel, so i generally skip the straps, use 15 feet on each end and i wrap it as many times as i can to help distribute the weight. I would love to hang in the aspens though, and the ropes will surely scar the pretty white flesh of a quakey. I often have a beefy belt on that can work as one tree strap. Any suggestions or lightweight success stories in this department would be appreciated. *pics use slap straps because im lazy*

The Kit:

WM Everlite- 14.5oz

ENO Sub7 w/amsteel 7/64 loops and lines, whoopie hooks- Less than 8oz

Arc Cerium LT Vest, Coal Emmerson wool beanie, 150wt Stoic base layers, Sportful HotPack jacket, and WM Flash Booties…….Rounds out my cold weather kit.

The hammock, sleeping bag, booties and sometimes the vest all live comfortably in a 6.5L stuff sack.

Bottom cinched up and tied off to stop draft.

It looks nice out but its no more than 15 degrees. I hung out for 20 minutes or so and was comfortable enough to fall asleep. The new down booties make all the difference. The sun is deceptively warm but i still think i can go below 30 degrees at night, and lower with a proper down balaclava. Im constantly amazed at how effective 360 degrees of lofted insulation is.

All Smiles

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I like the using of a bag instead of having to have a top and a bottom quilt to fuss with. Nice set up you got going there.

Ethan .
    Spectator

@ethans

Dutch Kevlar tree huggers are crazy light and strong.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Just my $.02 but I think it’s important to do the LNT thing and use straps.

Thats Dutch 4′ Kevlar straps, sew-on Dutch Clips and Amsteel with Speedhook 2.0s. Light enough for me…

Stefan Hoffman
    BPL Member

@sphinx

FWIW it’s not like i just scar up trees everywhere i go. The pinion and juniper here, or evergreens most places i have been, are pretty much impervious to the amsteel. Also i do a lot of hobo-mode hangs on man-made structures because it’s hilarious and can be quite innovative. Docks in Alaska are my favorite so far.

I do want some straps for the softer trees like aspens and young cottons, to name a few. So i like the idea of kevlar, but i can’t see needing more than 2 or 3 feet per strap and i won’t do yellow. Alright, i’m inspired.

Goal: 1 strap of 1″ black kevlar, 24 inches long, sewn loop ends with simple v rings…..will double as my new pot grabber. Another strap of 1″ black kevlar, 36″ long, made into a belt that doubles as my other tree strap.

So if anybody has ideas on how best to cut and finish the ends of kevlar webbing (im guessing its kinda hard to melt), that would be awesome.

Thanks for the inspiration. Gotta stay entertained through my injury and the winter months.

All Smiles

(Edited my dumb questions out)

Alpo Kuusisto
    BPL Member

@akuusist

Find some sticks to put between the tree and amsteel and you’ll leave no trace in aspen. Of course you’ll leave trace in the sticks but avoiding that is going too far…

Stefan Hoffman
    BPL Member

@sphinx

<span style=”line-height: 1.8;”>After thinking about it, I decided against getting tree straps because its pointless and would only be more pieces of kit. I like the simplicity and versatility of two long ropes with whoopie hooks tied on. Being nice to trees requires only some common sense and clever technique. But I’m still going to make a nice kevlar belt with a cobra cinch buckle, and i will likely use that from time to time. </span>

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools