Topic

My new backpacking blog: www.trailnamebackstroke.com

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports My new backpacking blog: www.trailnamebackstroke.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

My new blog is photo-based trip reports laced with minor commentary. I feature  new trips and a few very old legacy trips and photos:

http://www.trailnamebackstroke.com.

Busy? You might want to go directly to:

Hadrian’s Wall. 1971 trip before it became a trail.

Glacier National Park. Sometimes it is wise to end a trip mid-way.

Yosemite. Ten days in the wilderness making it up as you go.

Fantasie. Natural high.

James Verlander
    BPL Member

@jimver

Nice site. I really like the clean look and great photos…looking forward to spending more time on it.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

nice pictures and story, nice you helped out that person, I got to do a Sierras trip some day, just so far away

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Read your Hadrian’s Wall story and loved it.  Thanks.

Alan Dixon
    Spectator

@alandixon

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Nice photos!

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Love the pics! Beautiful country.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Beautiful pics, of course.  Since you mentioned yoga in your blog, I went to LA for a yoga conference back in 1975 (SRF), then spent a month backpacking around Nevada City and Ananda Village in 1989.

Ed Biermann
    BPL Member

@longstride

Wow a 14 year yoga conference  :- p

Nice work Cameron.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

“Since you mentioned yoga in your blog, I went to LA for a yoga conference back in 1975”

That’s deep. I was at UCLA at the time, and despite the John Wooden basketball reputation, the place was actually pretty rad, you know, they did hire Angela Davis, and Cesar Chavez was a constant presence. Lots of commies here, but I think the yoga movement was stronger in San Fran / Nor Cal.

BTW, your legacy Tipi-Life photos are awesome. https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/BooneYears/Tipi-Life/

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

Cameron, great reports! Just an FYI, in your Yosemite 2 story, the animal print and scat photos look more like coyote than bear. Sierra black bears have 5 toes like a human, coyotes and mountain lions have 4 toes. There’s nothing in the photo for scale, but bear prints are usually much larger that the others too, probably closer to the size of a human foot. Hope that helps and thanks again for the great trip reports!

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Hi Mike. Interesting. You are probably correct about the paw print. But the scats were huge and “tubular”, difficult to imagine coming from a coyote. They do not “taper”. I will include scale items in the photos next time!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Bravo!  I really like your blog.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Great photos Cameron – the fall foliage ground shots are really nice. Makes me want to visit Glacier NP some time.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

+1 to all of the above. Really great.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Cameron great job on your blog. Loved reading your Hadrian’s Wall trip. Reminded me of Boy Scout and solo/2P wanderings in elementary and HS. Somehow survived many trips with the simplest of gear (or lack of gear). My family used to rent a small rural cottage in the summer and my grandmother would watch my sister and me weekdays while my parents and grandfather were working in the city. Having herself grown up in rural Europe she was very forgiving of my woodland wanderings well beyond my parents would be. Though LOL after I got back too late from a few trips she nailed shut the window I used to climb in from to teach me to come back on time or call. She had amazing hiking footing and stamina while forest foraging for her age – as if the forest gave her super powers making her 15 again.

Re yoga, my wife started doing yoga at Jivamukti in NY (if you’re familiar) when it was a small beat-up dive above a restaurant and across the street from the Second Ave Deli. Visting NY a few years ago we stopped by the new location at Union Square – everything was crazy fancy and Russell Simmons was having tea in the cafe. Talk about yoga going mainstream.

And that looks like bear scat to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools