Topic

New MLD FKT Quilt – Thoughts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New MLD FKT Quilt – Thoughts

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

The new FKT Quilt is just like the Spirit, but it has 4 oz/ sq yd Climashield on the lower half and 2 oz Climasheild on the upper half. Dimensions are 2″ narrower than the Spirit Quilts. Only one temp rating. $230.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I didn’t get any replies on this thread after I posted it and I figure it was because:

a) nobody likes me

b) nobody cares

c) thread wasn’t noticed

d) all the above

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I’m currently writing orthopedic board exam questions and wow!  you’ve done a great job with your choices!  good detractors, excellent question stem…nice work!

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I’d go with B.  You can get a 40 degree EE down quilt for lighter and cheaper  with full length insulation.

It’s possible that Apex is better suited for those doing a FKT hike, not my area of expertise.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Similar to above.  Intriguing design.  It can help someone using synthetic insulation save weight and reduce bulk in the humid East – if I lived on the eastern seaboard or east of the Mississippi, I’d have ordered it already, …. but already have an oversized EE water-resistant down quilt ~ about as light (out West I do not use synthetics).

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

The FF Vireo is the only other bag/quilt I know of that has more insulation in the lower half (25* F) than the upper half (45* F). The UL version features a 15d shell. I’d like to see someone develop a down bag like the Vireo, but with a 10d shell and a zipper.

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

Its not warm enough. Maybe paired with a bivy, you would feel ok doing a thru in it, but bivies are not for me. I like the idea of a poncho slot, and then only carrying a light fleece. But if you are doing that, you can’t really make use of the differential insulation because you need “a well insulated jacket” below 45 degrees. So I guess the fkt shelter will be a smaller version of the solo grace tarp, or maybe a poncho/tarp, and the pack will be the cuben core with pockets? Not sure what I was expecting with the FKT thing, but so far its a disappointment.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Option C. I just didn’t see the thread. As far as the quilt, I like the variable temp ratings, but synthetic insulation doesn’t do it for me in the least.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I think these FKT products from MLD are certainly for a niche market and that may be why there is not as much response compared to a new Spirit quilt. The quilt, although somewhat innovative, is even more so niche than possible fkt backpack/bivy/and or shelter. I would personally rather go for the normal Spirit.

The Spirit 48 you sold me last summer works perfectly well for me and at 11.5oz (my scale) with stuff sack is plenty light for my lightest ventures. If I went for a new one, I would get the head slot so that I could wear it around camp for extra insulation if needed.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Jeremy A. W
    BPL Member

@jwerlin

I think John over at hikelighter is expecting one soon. Keep an eye on his site.

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

I like the idea of a poncho slot, and then only carrying a light fleece. But if you are doing that, you can’t really make use of the differential insulation because you need “a well insulated jacket” below 45 degrees.

I too find this confusing, in Spirit 38/48 the poncho slot can double the usefulness of the quilt by turning it into a camp puffy. What could be the reason for ordering FKT quilt with poncho slot? Unless in very freezing conditions necessitating the wear of two puffies….?

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I don’t think the FKT quilt makes that much sense for a typical FKT.

With a typical FKT you are moving fast/hard and thus staying warm and needing little in the way of insulation while moving. I’ve never needed upper body insulation warmer than a 100wt fleece anytime I’ve done anything resembling an FKT. Anything warmer is difficult to use outside of the winter. So I don’t think an FKT is a circumstance where you can really take advantage of clothing insulation to reduce insulation in the sleeping bag/quilt.

Also with an FKT you are trying to move as fast and light as possible and have probably selected a pretty good weather window so I think down makes a lot more sense than synthetic (ethics aside). It’s going to be lighter and pack smaller. I’ve never had trouble keeping a down quilt dry and don’t see FKTs as a time where that would change.

Thirdly, the optional poncho head hole seems of little use if you’re really attempting an FKT. If you have enough upper body insulation that you can opt for a reduction in your quilt, then you shouldn’t need to also be wearing the quilt while moving. Obviously one can imagine exceptional circumstances where this is needed (e.g. sick or hut) but for the most part it seems of little value. One could make the argument this is handy while breaking camp, but if you’re on an FKT this shouldn’t be more than a few minutes and I think it makes more sense to get your stuff packed away and tough it out until you’re warmed up.

I’m not saying its a bad product, just that a simple down quilt with adequate insulation seems like a better choice for most people attempting FKTs. One can get a 40-50F down quilt for 10-12oz (e.g. EE Enigma) which is substantially lighter and smaller. There are niche circumstances where synthetic, unequal insulation and head holes are benefits but 90% of the time a simple down quilt is the better option.

Andrew Srna
    BPL Member

@andy-s

I agree with alot of what Dan said. I used the FKT quilt a while back on the Ouachita Trail without bivy at temps down to low to mid 30s with a light puffy jacket and beanie, and was quite surprised how well the quilt worked, it holds heat better than expected. I also like the snap footbox, For me its a useful tool when expecting alot of humidity and moderate temperatures.

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

What happened to Abela’s review that was posted a couple days ago?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Chad, the thread has been moved to the unlimited members only forum and all the posts after the first 20 have been deleted.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools