Topic

Lightest pot + ti caldera cone setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest pot + ti caldera cone setup

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Durston’s article shows the ULC, which is no longer made but is pretty much the Fusion. So here is the difference (I think)

Fissure = Tall narrow pots and no tent stakes needed.

Fusion = Short wide pots and stakes needed for alcohol.

Bottom line is a certain height is needed between the bottom of the pot and the stove. To allow the cone to store in the pot the Fusion has to compromise by using stakes, which is why I hated the ULC and am thrilled with my Fissure.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

if you use the starlyte stove with the caldera cone you don’t need the stakes.

I have the Evernew short/wide 600mL with the caldera cone sidewinder (fits inside the pot) and the starlyte stove.  best stove set up ever.  I even take my little 3oz alcohol squirt bottle and roll the titanium cone around that, put a rubber band around it and stick it inside the pot.  the starlyte stove, fuel measuring cup and my mini bic all fit inside the pot.

Brilliant.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I eschew the beer can “pots”, ti mugs and other flimsy, tiny “minimalist” cook pots.

My Open Country 3 cup hard anodized pot & lid from Trail Designs goes with my made-to-mate Sidewinder ti stove and ti ground protector sheet.

Now if that combo isn’t light enough then we’re getting into serious gram weenie territory. I actually often COOK my dinner, as opposed to merely boiling water.  I live too eat, not vice versa, like the Russians. Occasional cooked meals break the monotony of freezer bag or freeze dried meals.

Plus I still don’t trust heating a beer canned releasing God-knows-what chemicals from the liner into my food. And ti mugs & small pots are still heavier than aluminum pots of similar volume. That’s my story and I’m sticking’ to it.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

“Franco, did your home made adaption use a silicon band? And the silicon band snapped? Or did something else snap?”

Yes it did snap during a boil.
    Good thing I was watching it (as one probably should anyway…) because of course the pot fell inside the Cone and it could have turned over spilling lighted fuel.

James L
    BPL Member

@jimmerul

Eric..

We all know you love your OC 3 cup pot. I like’ em too, but  to call  Ti mugs “flimsy” is simply not true.

Titanium is stronger  than aluminum, a fact not lost on the designers of little items like Nuclear Subs and the SR-71 Blackbird.. Bare Ti pots are more durable than annodized AL pots, too. More ding resiststant and no annodized coating to wear out if you need to scrub out your pots with river sand or a green scrubby.

Also, when HANDLES AND LIDS are included ,many Ti pots spank the Open Country 3 cup(850 ml) in terms of weight. All the 900 ml Evernew mugs and pots do…

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools