Topic

Lightest pot + ti caldera cone setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest pot + ti caldera cone setup

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kyle R
    BPL Member

@kyledr

I’ve done a lot of searching but can’t find anything quite right. Either it’s old info (products have changed) or not for me. The closest I found is this setup which is only 400ml. I want to use either alcohol or esbit and wood is not necessary but nice to have. If the caldera cone fits in the pot that is a major bonus. Using a very lightweight pot is important to me. Carbon fiber lid sounds ideal. A pot like this 475ml MLD + ruta locura lid looks good except a little low on water capacity for rehydrating meals, isn’t it (would leave no room for air to boil two cups)? The caldera cone I’m looking at is the sidewinder, but it doesn’t have a ton of pots listed, and most of them are bigger. I assume it uses bigger pots in the list so that the pot can fit the caldera cone inside, and so that the caldera cone can reach the top of the pot when shielding it. My hope is that by using a rubber band the caldera cone will be relatively short enough compared to the height of the pot that it will fit inside the pot vertically. Basically what I want is a titanium Caldera F Keg so that I can have a stronger pot so that I don’t have to carry the relatively heavy plastic caddy. Also if the pot is a little wider than the foster’s can it will simultaneously be more fuel efficient for the esbit and also be easier to eat out of. Any thoughts?

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

On lids – I couldn’t find the lid for my titanium pot, so I just used aluminum foil – three layers thick and it weighed less than a carbon fiber lid.   I was in a hurry and put the pot on the foil, cut it square and folded it three times. – stayed on and was easy to remove.  Cheap, recyclable, and easy to replace.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have been going through this for years. I finally am completely thrilled with a Fissure and a Toaks 850 ml pot. Everything weighs 7 ounces, versus my Caldera GVP system at 3 ounces that only could use Esbit. One could shave a little bit of weight with  Starlyte Stove, cutting the cone, etc. But for me this is the best mix of weight, stove efficiency, boil times, usability, flexibility, and compactness. I look at all of these as factors in making a stove decision.

I just posted my thoughts on the system today.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

What about the Ti-tri for the 600ml wide evernew pot? That is what I use and it seems just about right for boiling enough water for a dehydrated meal and one cup of coffee without spilling over. The only issue I see is if you plan on using the wood burning option. Seems a little small but I have not tried it.

https://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/evernew-600ml-ul-pot-sidewinder-ti-tri-bundle

Kyle R
    BPL Member

@kyledr

Thanks, Eric. That’s pretty high on my list. The pot is a little heavier than some options but on the upside it’s probably sturdier. Not sure if any titanium caldera cones fit this one which is lighter, but if I were to take that pot at 1.9 ounces and put a Ruta Locura lid on it, it’d be about 2.18 ounces which is pretty good for the pot. The problem is it’s not wider than it is tall so it can’t fit the caldera cone in there horizontally. Since it has handles the rubber band trick that people use on the MLD 475 probably wouldn’t work either. My ideal setup would probably be a 550ml pot with no handles. Alternatively I could just eat meals that take less water and use the MLD 475 with a titanium caldera cone and a Ruta Locura lid, and that setup would be quite light and also fuel efficient.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Toaks 550 lite Mug pot. Homemade cone plus silcone band and BGET Esbit burner.  Cone fits in the mug. Add 14g for a Starlyte if you want to use alcohol. Esbit is more efficient but slower. Added extra holes in cone for better burn.

Kyle R
    BPL Member

@kyledr

Oh I just found the toaks 550 lite without handle. Silicon band and a cone sounds perfect. I would rather buy a caldera cone than make one so I’ll see if he can accommodate that.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

If you want the lightest cone, using the least amount of material, it will be as short as mine if it needs to fit in the mug. So handles are not really an issue for the cone fitting.  Just weight.  I prefer handles as I like life simple.

Kyle R
    BPL Member

@kyledr

Mole J do you put the rubber band below the handle or between the wire for the handle? I can’t see your pics so I’m curious to know.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Not sure about using those silicone bands.
    My home made adaptation for a Snow Peak pot (to get the right distance from the flame) lasted maybe 20-30 burns then just snapped.

Kyle R
    BPL Member

@kyledr

Franco, did your home made adaption use a silicon band? And the silicon band snapped? Or did something else snap?

Kyle R
    BPL Member

@kyledr

It looks like if the silicon bands do snap, it’s possible to put a custom ridgeline into the pot!! Dan Yeruski from bplite.com will make a custom ridgeline according to this thread from a year or so ago.

That pretty much settles it… I’ll try the Toaks 550 with Ruta Locura lid, gram cracker stove, and a caldera cone that goes to the ridgeline. If Trail Designs doesn’t have or won’t make a suitable cone, I’ll make it myeslf, although I’d really rather not spend the time.

pot 43, lid 8, gram cracker 3, cone maybe 30? That’s 84 grams or just under 3 ounces. Add a bit more weight for a pot cozy, if using an alcohol stove instead of esbit, foil to protect ground, fuel container if using alcohol, etc…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

MY SETUP:

1. Trail Designs Sidewinder ti cone
    2. Open Country anodized aluminum 3 cup pot and lid (Sidewinder is made to fit it)
    3. Brian Green style ESBIT tray (2 times the Gram Cracker holder burn time – literally)
    4. Inferno ti gassifier wood burning insert (Very efficient and very hot)

The 3 cup pot is perfect for solo cooking – enough for water for hot cereal, coffee and cleanup. The shape (wider than it is tall) is the most fuel efficient shape, much better than a tall Foster’s can or mug shapes. Trail Designs sell this pot and matching Sidewinder ti stove.

Inside the 3 cup W/lid pot I carry: 1. cut-down Zip Loc freezer bowl  2. plastic “camp cup” (inside the bowl) with graduated markings inside for measuring. This is my only cup.

Trying to cook, eat and drink from a single ti mug is just not worth it for me. That is too much like trying to use a large poncho for a shelter too. Not fun.

BTW, When I want to cook omelettes or pancakes I take a  small “one egg” skillet. It’s ceramic coated – from Wally Mart.  I cut the handle off & use my pot grippers. On the Sidewinder stove I use the 2 ti tent stakes supplied with the stove to keep the skillet steady. Works great. On the 4th day of my elk hunt this October in Nevada’s Jarbridge Wilderness I loved having omelette and pancakes and another day I had Vienna sausage fried in margarine. Very tasty, amazingly

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Gossamer Gear has the Ti Caldera Cone and Mini aluminum Keg in a kit offered on their site:

http://gossamergear.com/gvp-stove-system.html

Here is a description of the kit:

This ultra-light backpacking stove system was designed by Glen Van Peski (founder of Gossamer Gear) himself. It provides everything you need without anything you don’t need. The concept behind an ultra-light stove is to boil water in the most efficient way possible, without having to carry a heavy system. Shaving weight to keep your backpack light.

The GVP stove features an ultralight titanium caldera cone style windscreen whose design provides the most stability and fuel efficiency in any environment. When you’re done, it rolls up nicely and fits into your cooking pot along with all of the other stove accessories. This allows for maximum space-saving.

An upcycled “mini keg can” was used to create the cooking pot. Aluminum material makes it extremely ultralight and conductive. The cooking pot has ridges that rest on the caldera cone, eliminating the need for a pot stand.

This stove runs on Esbit fuel tablets giving you around 12 minutes of intense heat depending on conditions. The tablet sits on 1 gram stand nicknamed the “Gram Cracker”. This system also includes a floor to maximum reflectivity and heat retention.

The whole system packs away into 15 gram ultralight cuben stuff sack. It also doubles as a pot cozy for rehydrating or keeping your food warm. Now you can wrap your hands around your cooking pot while sipping on your morning coffee.

I quote a review from Gossamer’s site:
    While one could certainly piece together a keg can kit like this himself (there’s more than enough MYOG information) or buy items separately (through Zelph’s, Trail Designs, etc.), sometimes convenience trumps all. Having used MYOG keg cans with a Fancy Feast alcohol stove, I was initially worried about durability of the can itself. The ridges surprisingly add more structure than I anticipated… just put the cook it at the top of your pack and there shouldn’t be a problem.

As with any Esbit pot, soot will begin to collect at the bottom. While I can’t remember the exact YouTube channel I picked this tip from, it’s nonetheless one that should be shared – using a drop of Dr. Bronner’s on the bottom of the can before cooking. Afterwards, the soot just wipes right off.

A drawback for me with this system is the pot holder band. I had to really stretch it to get it around the top of the can. I also feel like it won’t last forever and that it’ll snap after a few months of use… but only time will tell. I would much prefer a fiberglass wick be used to wrap the pots. Furthermore, I think I would have liked to see the Brian Green Esbit Tray in place of the Gram Cracker, but to each their own.

Just be careful with purchasing an Esbit cook kit, as I’ve seen it getting banned recently on some trails. Why? I’m not sure. I have easily been able to blow out a lit Esbit. Can’t say the same for alcohol. And having knocked over a canister stove a time or two, I feel much safer with the Esbit as far as fire prevention goes.

All in all, this is a fantastically light cook kit that is ideal for the soloist content with just-add-water meals out on the trail.

http://gossamergear.com/gvp-stove-system.html#product-tabs

Kyle R
    BPL Member

@kyledr

Trail designs also has kegs listed on their site. I don’t want to use an aluminum can keg because the can is flimsy and it requires an extra piece of silicone to allow wood burning. You can use a plastic protector when packing the beer can which trail designs includes in the kit, but it adds so much weight you might as well use a titanium pot. That’s why I’m looking for a titanium pot.

For this particular use case, I’m not interested in boiling enough water for coffee or anything more than needed to rehydrate food. I just want a very lightweight setup for rehydrating food. If I want to have a lot of convenience, fastest cook speed, or cook fancier food, I have Jetboils and Jetboil pots for that.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Kyle, this  is the lightest ;-)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

I have the Toaks 450 ML (2.7oz) with the Caldera Cone set up. Works great!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I want to use either alcohol or esbit and wood is not necessary but nice to have. If the caldera cone fits in the pot that is a major bonus.

Kyle, the cone fits inside the pot. Like you said………wood is not necessary.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I used a GVP almost exclusively over the past 5 years. The kegs have been improved with additional ridges and are surprisingly strong. Other than this set up, the only small compact setup with a TI pot with similar weight would be the discontinued Lite Trail Esbit System. However it would be easy to repicate. It doesn’t use a cone, but a windscreen and will only accommodate Esbit. Here is a comparison.

Kyle R
    BPL Member

@kyledr

Also on a semi-related note, what would you recommend for an ultralight approx 1″ tall alcohol stove that does not need to be able to function as a pot support (since the caldera cone does that)? It probably only needs to be able to hold an ounce or so of fuel max. I noticed lots of stoves work as pot supports which I don’t need. I know a cat food container can work, but I’m wondering if there’s anything lighter made out of titanium or something. I want the alcohol stove so I can try both the alcohol and the esbit and decide which I like best.

Kyle R
    BPL Member

@kyledr

I’ll admit the GVP is very lightweight, and maybe I’d be surprised by how strong the ridged aluminum is. I will sometimes be using this stove when hunting, and there are occasions when hunting where the pack weight goes up significantly (like, pack weight of 90 pounds is possible), and in a heavy pack, there is more weight to cause crushing. Therefore the added strength of titanium is probably worth the extra ounce or so for me.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Kyle. The band is within the handles.  Though, handles on the Toaks remove easily at the lower end.

I expect the silicone to need replacing now and then.   Another diy method to get a “support ridge” is to use a wire with the ends tightly twisted together and then snip and sand the joint to reduce it’s volume. A friend uses that method and it seems permanent.

I only made this cone recently,  before, I used the ‘ lite trail’ type windscreen and a TiWing or spoke stand. A cone is more stable.  I’ve used cones with other pans since 2008.

For an alcohol stove without supports, a Starlyte is great. Used them for 5 years without issue.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Here are the specs for the Gossamer kit:

Total Kit – 4.20 oz 120 g

Esbit Tablets (3 pack) – 45g

Metal Square Floor – 3g

Cuben Cozy – 15g

Esbit Stand – 1g

Band – 5g

Metal Pot Lid – 4g

Plastic Lid – 4g

22 oz / 650 ml Can (Pot) – 20g

Cone (Windscreen) – 22g

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Somewhere here at BPL is a lengthly thread started by Dan Durston of Canada. Gives all the info needed for a nice kit. Maybe someone can find that for us………Ken?

Kyle R
    BPL Member

@kyledr

Dan Y, you might be referring to this thread. It uses a .9 liter pot. He actually writes that he’d like to find a way to do without the tent stakes. In my eyes that would be a ridged pot. I’m looking into that.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools