Topic

Just finished the “Marty Mcfly” UL pack with some rad features

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Just finished the “Marty Mcfly” UL pack with some rad features

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Shalom Zohari
    BPL Member

@shalom_z

see below

Shalom Zohari
    BPL Member

@shalom_z

Just finished up sewing this new pack aptly named the Marty Mcfly by Reddit user Emil-Maansson for its vintage aesthetics.

The pack has an exterior flap pocket with a cinch closure as opposed to the mesh pocket most bags have. In my experience, the mesh always ends up ripping with heavy use (especially bushwhacking) and I’m hoping that this design will be able to withstand it better. The pack features: stow-able ice axe loops, a fully adjustable and removable sternum strap, side pockets able to fit two smart water bottles each, and side lashing cords for securing tall things in the side pockets. The straps are padded with a layer of closed-cell 1/4″ EVA foam and a layer of softer 1/4″ open cell foam to be extra comfy while retaining their shape. The main pocket is ~30 liters, and the flap pocket is 2-3 liters. the pack weighs in at 16oz, and I feel like its a perfect balance of weight, functionality, and comfort. Overall I’m very happy with how it turned out, and I’m excited to test it in the field soon.

If you have any thoughts, feedback or questions feel free to leave them below.

Matanya “Wonka” Loewenthal
    BPL Member

@matanya

Locale: Midwest

Nice! It’s quite the stylish design, and the colorway really pops out at you. I wouldn’t be surprised to see something like this on the subway, but at 16 oz and ~35 liters with the side and flap pockets, I could totally fit 4-5 days of gear and food in there! Can you fit 2 SmartWaters in each side pocket? Also, it looks like the perfect crossover from my Kumo to one of those Topo designs klettersacks, which is a neat aesthetic. If CO decides to open up sometime soon, I would be happy to try it out and give some feedback, I do want to hit Quandary before I leave.

Brad S
    BPL Member

@thej0ker

Love this look.  Color combo and back pocket are great.

Vince G
    Spectator

@vince-g

Nice job, McFly!

Brian V
    Spectator

@brianvinci

Looks awesome man. Well done

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Shalom—Great work! Such clean sewing lines. I love the red webbing and details.

Is the top just left open and then rolled down?

Are the little red loops on the bottom of the “front” there to attach a pad or whatever?

Why do the shoulder straps have two webbing straps on each side attached to the bottom of the padded part of the straps?

Craig B
    BPL Member

@kurogane

Hey, nice job with the pattern, looks good.  The sternum strap attachment design looks like it will deform things a bit so things won’t lay totally flat on your chest when you start cinching it tight.  It might be a little annoying eventually.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools