Topic

Is there a Better Wide Mouth Nalgene Soft Side Water Bottle??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Is there a Better Wide Mouth Nalgene Soft Side Water Bottle??

• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by KRS.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am using a wide mouth Nalgene Canteen as part of a hydration system with the Blue Desert Hydration Tube for drinking on the go, using a Sawyer Mini Water Filter  at the drinking end of the hydration tube. I like the wide mouth bottle so I can quickly “dip and go” into a water source along the trail vs. dealing with a narrow opening water bottle, like the Platypus, that is slow to fill up or requires a separate scoop to fill up.

What I don’t like about the Nalgene Canteen is that I have had a number of them fail and leak over time.

Frankly, the plastic that they use sucks and is nothing like the quality of the Platypus bottles I have used in the past.

Anyone have an alternative to the Nalgene that is a wide mouth soft side bottle that is more durable?

The only durable solution that I can think of is Lighter Weight Wide Mouth Nalgene Bottle at 3.8 oz.

Classic issue…durability vs. weight.

Anyway, any possible solutions or suggestions are appreciated.

Tony

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

I use the lighter weight Nalgene bottles. I know people poo-poo them, but they really are quite nice.

I could never find a similar solution either, so if anyone else could chime in, I’d also be appreciative. The closest I can think of is a wider mouthed sports drink bottle.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

There isn’t much out there in the widemouthed category, but a newer product might interest you (1L for 3.1 oz):  http://hydrapak.com/shop/water-bottles/stash-1l

The “lighter” nalgene is a good choice for durability, but the weight is not great.  On a day hike, I don’t care, but for the CT last summer, I used one Powerade bottle, and one soda bottle.  Since I use a Steripen, I cut down an old Platy that did triple duty as (1) a scoop; (2) in-camp stand-up water container; and (3) a protective case when rolled around my Steripen and held with a rubber band.

For me, the “semi-widemouth” on the Powerade bottle is wide enough to get water and add powdered drink mix.  YMMV.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Ultimate Direction Bottle

Ultimate Direction has this bottle, which looks promising except for one thing: it’s only 1/2 liter.  I wish they made a larger one.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I also use the classic nalgene.  I use it with my Steripen and love the durability as well as the simplicity of one container. The 32 ounce Gatorade bottle is nice too but won’t fit my pen.  If I need to carry more I’ll take a nalgene 48 oz bag or a Gatorade bottle.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

“The 32 ounce Gatorade bottle is nice too but won’t fit my pen.”

My Steripen fits in my 32oz Gatorade bottle… not well, but far enought to work…

billy

terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

This is not soft sided like you are asking for but there are titanium water bottles and the “bot” from vargo. 22 oz and 1L volume and from 3.9 to 4.7 oz weight. If you can cook in the bot and leave your pot at home you might have a weight saving dual use strategy with great durability?

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I should clarify, I have a Steripen adventurer.  I know you can modify the cap but I’m pretty happy with the nalgene.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

It ain’t super light but what I use is an MSR Dromlite 4 liter. Same opening size as a Nalgene wide mouth (and same threads, caps can be swapped). holds more also, Mine has held up well and has been frozen a quite a few times. definitely more durable than a Cantene.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I know it’s not as hip as butchering an expensive platy, but I use my pan/mug to scoop water into small mouth bottles.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I use a gusseted bottom plastic bag as my scoop mine came from a bag like this

Cut the ziplock off and it will stand up by itself when full.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

Take one of the thinner water bottles that are kind of crinkly sounding when empty. Cut the bottom off at an angle to make a scoop shape. Then use a  tornado tube to attach your platy soft side to the scoop.

Tornado tube:

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Tony if you like sucking on a tube why not get a reservoir that is easy to fill? Like these

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

This Nalgene weighs 3.5oz. It it semiflexible/squeezeable
    REI has them

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

That’s the classic Nalgene mentioned above Abraham.

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

Actually, I was thinking of the Nalgene  ATB:

ATB

It is much softer and squeezeable than the old classic white opaque plastic Nalgene. Someone on the web says it weighs 4oz, but that appears to include the bulky flip-top drinking lid. The bottle itself appears pretty light weight and would work with the OP’s Blue Desert system.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I have never used one but it has a wider mouth than a Platypus but narrower than a Nalgene

Vapur Eclipse

Vapur Element

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have you thought about silicone bottles?  Besides being very durable and flexible, they are the least leaching of the petrol based polymers–even better than polyethylene and polypropylene as far as i’ve found in my research.

They are excellent for putting very hot water in.  They take a little getting used to because they are so flexible.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Abraham….yes, that is the alternative that I came up with.

3.5 oz vs. 2.1 oz for the canteen, but cheaper and much more durable.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to offer their suggestions.

Curiously, I recently bought the collapsable Stash water bottles for urban trips.

Works great…the top is smaller than the nalgene, but the weight is similar to the one that Abraham found.

The reason why I don’t want to scoop is to save time….the person I hike with moves fast….we both do.

Pulling out my pot or a scoop just takes time and being able to just dip and go is what I am looking at….efficiency vs. weight.

Guess this is a case of adding a little bit of weight for durability and time savings.

Again….thank you all for your collective wisdom.

Going to try out the Nalgene bottle.

Tony

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Have you thought about the Platypus Big Zip? It has a zip-lic closure on the bottom that is super easy to fill and seals tight with no leaks, has a hydration tube and bit valve too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools