Topic

Hooded baselayer w/thumbholes-looking for pattern

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hooded baselayer w/thumbholes-looking for pattern

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

hello,

I’d like to make a hooded base layer shirt.  I have and have used the Shelby.fi pattern but this doesn’t have a hood or thumb holes.  I keep looking but I can’t seem to find a pattern.

Shelby has a balaclava pattern as well, I suppose I could try and match that up to the neck on the shirt, then extend the arms.  I’d also like to have a half or quarter zip, would need to figure that out as well.  I don’t have an example on hand to copy.

Have you guys ever sourced an actual pattern to use?

Thanks.

EJVC
    BPL Member

@ejvc

Locale: Near the Klarälven river

Hi, I have been collecting patterns for hiking on a Pinterest board which has good options, but not, unfortunately, for men.  Fehr Trade’s Surf to Summit top has “mitts” or I wrote a short tutorial on adding a half zip and thumb holes to a standard pattern here on my blog.  Jalie, who make excellent patterns, also has a half-zip top for men.  None of these patterns have hoods, unfortunately.  So, basically, here’s how you do it.  You could 1) purchase a pattern for a woman and trust that women’s and men’s heads are not fundamentally different, and then just frankenpattern your Shelby and this pattern together.  Or, following my half-zip tutorial, instead of the collar,  trace around your favourite hood, cut two copies (one lining, one outside) and then insert just as I show you inserting the collar.  Sorry I can’t be more help.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

Patagonia Hooded Tropical LS Shirt with thumb holes. I have slept in it many times in the Sierra’s and also skin dived with it. Lots of options!

Jay Wilkerson

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

EJVC,

Thanks, I really like your Blog.  It would be even better if you had more pictures as you went.  :)

Thanks.

EJVC
    BPL Member

@ejvc

Locale: Near the Klarälven river

You’re welcome.  I may make one of these soon, so if I do I’ll add more pictures and another link.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools