Topic

Hilleberg for JMT 2017?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hilleberg for JMT 2017?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Tom M
    BPL Member

@tominva

Locale: Virginia

Hi, I’m targeting 2017 for a JMT thru-hike and looking for a suitable tent around 2 lbs. Candidates are:

Nemo Blaze 2p (or the new Meta LE but no one seems to have used it yet), the zPacks Duplex, or the Hilleberg Enan. Especially curious if anyone owns the Enan and has used it yet?

Thanks,

Tom

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have an Enan, it has only 2 nights use so far but really like it.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

I would love to see an Enan in person.  But keep in mind that Hilleberg is no longer going to use the Kerlon 600 fabric.  I wonder what the Kerlon 1000 fabric will do to the Enan’s weight.  Probably not a big difference.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@tominva

Really? They’re swapping out the 600? Where did you hear that?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Tom, I took delivery of my Enan last March. Yes, the sticker shock for a non cuben shelter was initially high, but I have to say that it’s thoughtfully designed and exceptionally well made. Over the past six years I have pretty much run the gamut on 1P shelters, and this is the first one that ticks all the boxes. It is fast to pitch, and easy to pitch well. The ventilation is excellent thanks to the two end vents and the mesh inner tent door. That the flysheet extends all the way to the ground means I get all the storm protection I need here in the mountains. The inner and the vestibule are generous, much more so than most 1P shelters.

The Enan fixes all the limitations of the Akto, and I consider it an evolution in design as opposed to the Anjan and Rogen which are stripped down versions of prior designs (the Nallo and the Allak respectively). To those who would say it borrows heavily from the TarpTent Notch / Moment DW, I would counter that the flysheet is much stronger, and the inner is much easier to get into and out of. I’m 5’9″ and I felt like a pretzel folding myself over to squeeze into the Notch’s inner.

If I have one criticism of the Enan, it’s the awful tri pegs they supplied with the 2015 version. For 2016 they replaced them with the much more useful V pegs used on the Red Label models, for just a 12g overhead in total. Overall, the new models will weigh about 3oz more than the 2015 Kerlon 600 version.

I spoke to Shannon a few weeks ago. She said that they have a few of the Kerlon 600 models left in stock, but they expect to sell out by early March. After that it’ll be the slightly heavier Kerlon 1000 models only.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Kerlon 600 was quietly dropped this season, for two reasons. It’s so slippery that the seamstresses found it incredibly difficult to work with. And the EU wanted them to apply one less coating to reduce the environmental impact. That would have lowered tear resistance and waterproofing.

Personally, I’m glad I got the Kerlon 600 version.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

” To those who would say it borrows heavily from the TarpTent Notch / Moment DW, I would counter that the flysheet is much stronger
    Based on what ?

I have yet to see a Tarptent fly shredding/failing apart from some pole through the fly type accidents.
    But I have seen plenty of expedition tents damaged by poles so that does not count.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

May I ask why not a Tarptent Moment DW?  I may be missing something but the two look very similar (I admit I kind of like the red color) and I am not sure what advantages the Hilleberg has over the Tarptent?  The Tarptent seems to be plenty stout for the JMT.

Both models are very interesting designs to me, but I just haven’t been able to tell what advantages the Hilleberg has over the Tarptent in this case.

No matter what you go with I hope you have a great hike.  That is a beautiful area.

Kief H
    BPL Member

@kief

Locale: Eastside Sierra, Downeast Maine

I’ve had my Enan out in the Sierra a total of 16 nights on two trips. Mostly above or near timberline so in similar conditions to the higher parts of the JMT. I really like it and feel very confident in its stormworthiness after an all-night howler at 10,000 feet in October that dumped around 3″ of snow and blew gusts that the point forecast pegged as high as 40 mph. I stayed snug and dry. It’s cozy and the small footprint is great for alpine areas where roomy pitching spots are in short supply. I actually considered the Nemo Blaze before going with the Enan but I decided that a smaller (and better made) shelter was the best choice for solo trips.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

“Based on what ?”

I’ve owned a number of TT shelters. I’m impressed with what they offer for their intended use and at their price point. Before we get into discussions about tear strength and hydrostatic head, let’s just acknowledge one thing: the Enan costs more than double the Moment DW’s base price. I will say that, in my experience and in my opinion, a Hilleberg will withstand nastier conditions and last longer than a TarpTent. They are built with different materials, to a different price point. There’s nothing wrong with someone preferring one brand over another. But if you expect identical performance in the harshest conditions, then you may be disappointed if you choose based on weight specifications alone.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

As Stuart says, it really comes down to what you’re looking for. Hilleberg makes great tents, I owned an Akto, and I’ve always wanted a lighter Unna, it would, perhaps, be the perfect shelter for me (I prefer 1.5 person tents as I really like a bit of extra space inside). That said, for my last shelter, I chose the Moment DW over the Enan for a few reasons – it has a bit bigger/taller inner than the Enan, costs much less, and is plenty robust enough for what I intent to use it for (mostly winter trips below treeline).

I do wish Henry would make a 1.5 person Moment DW though….. :-)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the enan looks alot like a TN laser comp …

the venting at the ends look better and it looks like it may be a bit easier to setup, plus you get a bathtub floor

but it looks very much like a laser comp, and its roughly the same weight

;)

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

As much as I’d love to own a Hilleberg…I just can’t justify THAT much tent.  I’ve been through some plenty rough storms, a few in places I would rather not have seen bad weather (patagonia, howling thunderstorms at 12k in CO, a nasty nasty thunderstorm on the shore of Lake Superior, etc), and all of my lightweight shelters have been just fine.

For the JMT, where it’s not uncommon to forgo a shelter most nights anyway, I just wonder why you would need SO MUCH SHELTER.  I’m sure it’s a beautiful tent, and very, very well made.  But do you really need to drive a ferrari when the honda fit is just fine?

I’ve had the stratospire 1 and i bought my dad the moment DW.  They are both wonderful shelters and I would not even hesitate to take them on any trip I’d go on, regardless of projected weather – but then again I’m not trying to traverse the arctic in winter.

Frankly, if you’re willing to shell out Hilleberg level funds – I’d totally go with the Zpacks Duplex.  now THAT’S a great shelter for the JMT!  and 20 oz!

Tom M
    BPL Member

@tominva

Wow great comments. I really appreciate the discussion. Of course, I am now considering a Moment DW and have gone back and forth between TT and Hilleberg. I will say the fly on the Enan appears to seal closer to the ground than the Moment DW.

Jennifer, I take your point about getting  a ferrari. In my research I’ve drunk the kool-aid on Hilleberg’s storm-worthiness even though JMT weather should be mostly wonderful. I’m a belt and suspenders man and that’s something I’ll have to fight to keep weight manageable – do I REALLY need that much tent? Really?

The Duplex does look great, but a couple of points against: I think I prefer a more opaque tent than cuban fiber affords, and I’m not (yet) a trekking pole guy.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I used a Duplex on the JMT last summer and can attest to its ability in heavy downpours. The deep bathtub works very well (I had my tent site turn into a stream above Guitar Lake). If you decide to go with trekking poles, it’s a great choice.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@tominva

You didn’t find the Duplex too drafty at night? Especially at the higher elevations?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

When buying gear I don’t mind paying a premium for long lasting quality gear.

I own a TT Scarp 1, but have never seen a Moment DW. My Scarp is well constructed and I would assume the Moment has the same quality. I have never seen a Hilleberg tent.

The Enan and Moment are very similar in design and weight, so for the most part would be similar shelters. Both are 3 season tents. So the question I would be asking is whether the Enan is better built in quality and materials. I believe Kerlon 600 is 10D silnylon. TT uses 30D silnylon. Looking at the specs, I don’t see any advantage of the Enan over the Moment, especially at 2X the price. For true 4 season nasty weather, Hilleberg has many offerings that TT does not.

The Enan is a lightweight version of the Atko. The Atko and Scarp 1 are similar too. To compare these, it is best to read what the hill walkers in Scotland have to say. Many switched from the Atko to the Scarp 1, mainly because of the optional TT crossing poles, which made it a 4 season tent. I bring this up because TT has proven itself in the severe Scotish weather. Even without the crossing poles, many of the Scottish walkers preferred the Scarp 1.

Bottom line, I don’t see any advantage of the Enan over the Moment DW, or the Atko over the Scarp 1. Of course there may be certain features of each shelter that might be preferable to the individual user.

In all my years of hiking in the Sierra in 3 season weather, I have never used or felt I needed a double wall tent or even a fully enclosed shelter… but that is personal preference. For me, the Enan or Moment DW would be overkill.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I heard one of the reasons the Enan was so expensive was that it was made from the lighter material that was specially for this shelter.  If they switch to the same material they use on the red label tents I wonder if the price would go down?  It would be a lot more competitive at $400 or $450 than it is at $600.

The fly does go to the ground where the Moments doesn’t and it looks to have one more guy out point on the pole sleeve but other than that they seem to be eerily similar designs.

I have hiked with several Moment owners (all older single wall) and I have always found it an intriguing design.  I have always wondered how the design would handle heavy wind compared to something like an MLD Solomid.

There is nothing wrong with going with the Hilleberg if that’s what you want.  Though I have never seen one up close they have an impeccable reputation. Just know that you should be fine with much less shelter on the JMT.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thomas,

i did not find the Duplex to be drafty. I have been sleeping in TarpTent and ZPacks tents for a couple of years and I have learned to select protected campsites and sleep with a door open to help with ventilation. I usually pitched the Duplex slightly lower than the instructions state which makes the bathtub a little wider and probably decreases the breeze a little

I’m guessing a Duplex is a lot less drafty than a flat tarp and a bivy.

It’s a killer tent. It’s actually not a great choice for a lot of my weekend trips where I’m usually sleeping solo and often traveling with scouts so I sold it upon my return for about $100 less than I purchased it for. I did not mind “renting” it brand new for $100. I’m now using a TT Notch when I sleep on the ground (I do the hammock thing on many of my trips).

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i suspect the enan. akto and TN laser are built for “brit conditions”, which seem to be lots of strong wind driven rain, and much more exposed with less cover … which is likely why their fly goes all the way down

tarptent needs to satisfy the yankee market, which means more ventilation as overall its warmer in the continental US

heres an interesting story about the enan

We aim to get as far down the valley as we can before camping somewhere on the flat ground near the river. The forecast for tonight and tomorrow is rain, rain and more rain so we don’t want our return route to be any longer than necessary. 
    Eventually, we find a likely spot. The tents are up quick but I’m still filtering water when the rain hits, gentle at first. We’re soon both hunkered down in our shelters, doors zipped up, contemplating, brewing, building a home for the night. There’s no conversation between us; the wind’s too noisy.

It’s the first time I’ve erected our Hilleberg Enan in serious wind. No matter how hard I try, I can’t get sufficient tension on the fabric on the windward end of the single pole tent. Chris has an Akto (on which the lighter Enan is based) and has the same problem. The Enan’s a three season tent but it’s warm, predictedly no cooler than 8 or 9C overnight, hence my choice for this trip instead of our heavier, four season shelter.
    Nursing a coffee, I watch drips appear, grow and drop from the tunnel sleeve, landing on my, just dried, Paramo jacket and make a note to check the sealing there when I return home.

I cook inside, with just a slight opening from the top of the door to allow the escape of nasty gases from my Jetboil stove. “Look What We’ve Found” chilli, pitta bread, rice pudding, cheese and oatcakes make a fine repast before I lie, listening to the radio, sipping whisky from my flask. All this, to the accompaniment of crashing and banging of wind against silnylon as the tiny tent resists attack after attack from the elements

Finally, numbed by the malt, I give in and … sleep.
    Waking in the early hours I feel damp on the outside of my cosy down bag; putting it down to condensation.

Rising around 7am I find the bag’s surface seriously wet. I’m warm and dry inside still, but the tent inner is seriously soaked around its middle and it becomes clear that the pole tunnel seam has been letting in water. The foot of the inner, and my bag, along with the head end, including all my clothes there, are totally dry. There’s a puddle on the floor in the middle of the inner and the pockets, containing my phone, camera and Kindle are both wet, being at a point near the lower end of the pole sleeve. Thankfully nothing’s damaged, but I’m disappointed. It’s the first Hilleberg tent we’ve bought and, at ÂŁ600 (far and away the most expensive tent we’ve ever bought) I expect better. Previously, we’ve only used Terra Nova tents and both manufacturers claim their tents shouldn’t need seams sealing but Terra Nova suggest doing so if you want guaranteed waterproofing, whereas Hilleberg do not. Given I’ve yet to stuff the damp bag into its compression sac I’m thankful I don’t plan on a second night. It’d be a different issue with such a failure on a multi-day trip.

Resolving to address the issue with Hilleberg, I breakfast on “Geoff’s secret recipe muesli porage”, lashings of coffee and choccy biccys. Chris calls to me, asking when I might be ready for off. We agree on 40 minutes. The wind’s still howling. The rain’s still lashing.

Packing inside our tents, we emerge within minutes of each other and take each tent down two-handed but I still suffer a slightly bent pole. It’s proving to be an eventful trip

As the rain eases for a moment I take these quick pics of our pitch and you can see the problem with the wind on the Enan; and yes, I do know how to pitch a tent properly. Chris’s Akto looks marginally better due to the twin poles and, hence extra guy lines at the end.

While writing this I received a reply to an email to Hilleberg this morning. My message detailed the problem just as I have above. Here’s their response:

Hello Geoff

Enan is made in a very thin fabric.

We will have to look at the tent to decide if the seam is a warranty issue.

Just contact your retailer to make a claim.

It is obvious that the seams in your tent doesent keep out the rain after the heavy winds.

It could be repairable with some seam sil and if you like I could send you a tube?

Mvh / Regards

http://farnotfast.blogspot.ca/2016/01/howling-in-howgills-or-will-i-ever.html

does the enan need additional seam sealing?

;)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have always seam sealed my shelter, regardless of what the manufacturer says… Seems obvious that it is a potential leakage point. I even seam sealed the two tent trailers I once owned.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

If you are ok with the cost then go with the Enan. It’s a fantastic tent. My only complaint would be that at 6’2″ with a tick 3″ pad and 3 season bag and pillow my face ends up a little closer to the roof of the tent than I’d like, meaning it’s a little weird to sit up in.

other than that it’s perfect and slightly easier to pitch than he Akto. In pitching I would always circle the tent a few times to adjust the guys and get the balance right.

id also seal the seams. I have on every tent I own, no matter what the manufacturer says. Seems better to me for $10 and 30 minutes work to just do it and have no leaks rather than, as I’ve seen, to not bother, then complain about the manufacturer.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

thats quite interesting as hilleberg says seam sealing isnt needed

You do not need to seam seal our tents as we use a stitching method that makes the seams really strong and durable. We use a flat fell-seam in all our tents and our sewing machines employ cooling jets around the needles. This means that every stitch goes through four layers of fabric and the size of the hole is minimized by preventing heat-producing friction. The end result is a very precise, very reliable seam that has remarkable durability and water resistance.

the TN laser has the much derided pole cover which covers the main seam … ive never seam sealed that and theres not a drop coming through … just used it last month of consecutive 50+mm days … and just for fun while reading this thread its been sitting in my back yard this week on consecutive constant rain including 40mm thurs nigh and frid morning … its still out there and its still raining hard (im also testing a few ways to keep down dry on consecutive constant rain no sun days)

interesting that dem tarptent folks and other smaller manufacturers are the most realistic with their seam sealing requirements …

if nothing else at least the OP knows its important to seam seal it if he does get a hilleberg

;)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

From Terra Nova : (about SilNet)
    Ideal for those ‘In the field’ repairs and a must for tents that are not factory seam sealed.
    http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tent-accessories/seam-sealer-glue/

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

well my TN has just had ~ 60 mm+ freezing rain the 48 hours … and much more than that (~150mm) in 3-4 days last month … and not a single leak from the unsealed main seam, the pole cover effectively seals the main seam

from TN …

Due to the super light nature of the material used in the tents construction we are unable to factory seal the seams, in a conventional method. However they are positioned and sewn in a way that minimises water penetration and it’s possible to add further protection yourself, with seam sealer, to fully waterproof the tent. A free black pole cover (tied on) is also supplied with the Laser tents to fully waterproof the main seam, add stability, protect the zip and add extra protection to the most exposed part of the tent to UV damage.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/laser-competition-1-tent/

as you can see most of the moisture in the inside is from the usual condensation … all the drops you see are on the outside (not inside)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrIq7ImUQig

there other issues the lasers are known for … but leaking at the main pole seam when using the cover is NOT one of em

as a note the movement on the fly is all from larger rain drops hitting … each time that happens a slight bit of condensation detaches giving some spray, some might call it “misting”

interestingly enough for taped seams anyways MSR doesnt recommend seam sealing it

Fact or Myth?
    Q: Sealing exterior seams on factory-taped a rainfly adds extra protection against pounding rain.
    A: Myth! This only adds weight–as in ounces and ounces of Seam Grip. “If the seams are taped, they’re totally waterproof,” promises MSR’s Terry Breaux.

http://www.poudrewildernessvolunteers.org/news-and-information/articles/74-making-your-gear-last-forever.html?start=1

;)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools