Topic

Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 Backpack Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 Backpack Review

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adam VanZee
    BPL Member

@adamvanzee

Companion forum thread to: Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 Backpack Review

The Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 is a high volume ultralight backpack that is capable of carrying heavier loads.

Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

Thanks for posting.  I looked at a previous edition of the Mariposa and elected to stay with my Osprey Exos 58 of 2015 vintage, even with its tiny hipbelt pockets.  The compelling feature of the Exos is the Airspeed suspension which ventilated so well as to put to shame all other packs I’d tried.  Using the Exos, the back of my shirt never wetted through while hiking the PCT in July, August, September and October of that year.  While the “58” may be a bit heavier at 40 or so ounces, Airspeed carries the day.

I mused that you struggled to access your water bottle without removing the pack.  I haven’t the flexibility to deal with anything worse than the Osprey’s easy bottle access.

The Mariposa seems like a winner on most other points.    The Osprey Exos works for me.

I need to get out more with my Exos.  Cheers.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, the pack definitely looks good for those carrying between 10-20 pounds of base gear. I never had a problem just using water bottles in my other GG packs. However the HMG Southwest simply cannot be done, reasonably in my book. Osprey seems to have them beat slightly, but, I lost a water bottle using it. Also the Gorilla. While it holds stuff securely, I also lost a water bottle using it, too.

Anyway, thanks for a good review of the newer models!

Shane C
    BPL Member

@sdotcarter

I wouldnt even consider the mari and the exos in the same class. The exos is deffinately a bomb proof pack and I like the airspeed, my only complaint is that it is much more hourglass shaped and the top really pushes  forward, almost pushing your head forward. The mariposa can really cram all you could ever want, I dont think it carries well over UL, and the way it’s designed you can get some awkward loads if your not dialed in. But I will say the mariposa will almost eliminate the shoulder pressure if you have the waist belt nice and snug. 10-12 range base and add in whatever you need the mariposa cant be beat, the exos is currently my winter pack that can carry the weight better. Just imo… for really cold deep winter I still like the atmos 65.  You could put a car in that thing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools