Topic

Dyneema (Zing It) vs. Spectra (Lawson Equipment) for bear bag/general purpose?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dyneema (Zing It) vs. Spectra (Lawson Equipment) for bear bag/general purpose?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jon J.
    Spectator

@jonwjessop

Locale: Toledo

I know questions similar to this have been asked before, but in searching the forums I haven’t quite found the answer.

I’m looking to purchase a cord mainly for hanging a bear bag via the PCT Method in the eastern US, but also hoping it will function as a decent backup/general use cord in my pack for whatever else may come up on the trail (not necessarily as a guy line though). I’ve gathered that either Dyneema or Spectra cord are great options, and I see they are both similarly and reasonably priced…So which one is better for this purpose?

I’m looking at these two specifically right now:

1. Ultraglide Bear Line 2.5mm (Reflective version) by Lawson Outdoor Equipment – $17 total for 50 feet

http://lawsonequipment.com/Ultraglide-Bear-Line-c148/

1. Zing It 2.2mm (Yellow) by Dutchware Gear – $19 total including shipping for 75 feet

https://www.dutchwaregear.com/25-feet-of-zing-it.html

*The Zing It is sold in 25’ increments (shipped as on piece) and the Ultraglide in 50’ or 100’ pieces. I’m assuming 50-75’ is plenty, and 100’ is overkill?

**The Zing It also comes in 1.75mm, but I’m assuming 2.2mm is better for my purposes?

***As far as Lawson spectra, I’ve seen “Ironwire” recommended on here. Is that the same as this “Ironwire Spectra Fusion” and would this somehow be a better choice than the Ultraglide Bear Line?

http://lawsonequipment.com/Ironwire-Spectra-Fusion-c149/

PLEASE DON’T TURN THIS INTO A DEBATE ON THE PCT METHOD VS OTHER BEAR BAG OPTIONS!  :-)

Thank you.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Dyneema is slightly stronger in the larger diameter threads it uses. It is also stiffer, which I find to be preferable. Spectra is finer and makes a limper, more prone to tangling, line than the Dyneema’s corser braid. But, Dyneema tends to do a bit more sawing into wood.  I like the ~1.75 diameter for anything up to about 15 pounds. Heavier cord (>2.0) is easier to pull up and apply pressure with your hands, though.

Otherwise they are nearly identical, both being made from UHMW plastics.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

As James said, ZingIt is much more prone to bark-snagging, and quite a bit prone to getting tangled.

I speak from experience, it is a poor choice for bear bagging cord. I am not sure what your “general use/other duties” are, but it does not hold knots very well either. I have been using it for years, only with micro-tensioners on all my hammocking tarps both for ridgeline and for guyouts. There are very few knots that I would trust when used with ZingIt (and its sister – the LashIt),

I think that Lawson’s bear line, of which I’m very fond, is not the same as his Ironwire Spectra Fusion. The bear line is very much impervious to bark-snag. I have no experience with his “spectra fusion” and suggest that you ask him directly – he is a stand-up guy, and also a poster on this forum.

Regarding “general use” I can only share what I use – I always carry a few pieces of 1.25 mm line made by Zpacks, which suit me as guyline extensions (especially when I am unable to use stakes and have to replace them with rocks or other anchors), and for an improvised clothesline. It is important to me that the general use line has a pretty good knot-holding capabilities.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I use the PCT method for hanging here in Arizona.

I strongly dislike Zing-it for bear bagging. It is hard on the hands and bark and far too prone to tangling in long lengths. It also does not take knots well so it doesn’t serve as a good backup if you break a lace or guyline.

Lawson’s Ultraglide is wonderful. Much easier on the hands and the larger diameter and smooth exterior seems much more friendly to trees. The weight is quite acceptable at 1.5(?) ounces for 50′. Lawson suggests that knots can slide in this material and that a figure-8 with a long tail is a good choice for a loop to attach a carabiner to for bagging. I’ve not seen any slippage and I’ve pulled on it as hard as I can

Lawson’s Spectra Fusion is nice line too. It is different than his bear line with a softer, looser weave  I think it would snag on bark. I have a couple hanks of this and haven’t used it for anything other than a short leash to clip my InReach clipped to my pack.

i am 100% happy with the Ultraglide and I’m confident I can make it work in an emergency as a backup cord if something breaks.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Just remember that Spectra, like Kevlar, can degrade with UV exposure so try to protect it form sunlight  when not in use.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

We use Zline slick for B bagging. Glides real nice over branches without damaging them and plenty strong enough.

A tip for no tangles is to coil the line in an infinity sign upon itself in your hand before stuffing it in what ever you keep it in. It will play out with much less tendency to tangle than if you coil it in small circles. Works well with small boat anchor lines too :)

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I like Zing-it for use as an accessory cord and for setting up a “clothesline like” horizontal between two trees for hanging things that animals wouldn’t be interested in. Since it is a hollow-core braid you can splice it, create a brummell (sp?) loop, etc. Combine that with some of Dutch’s Ti jewelry and you have one fine clothesline.

For bear bagging I need cordage of much larger diameter. I’m a fan of the 2.2mm Z-line Slick from Zpacks. It slides easily without damaging branches and is large/stiff enough to handle well and hold a knot. the 0.8 oz you give up using the larger cord is more than made up for in performance.

Color also seems to be very important:  There is quite a bit of evidence that bears know and recognize that brightly colored line and bags dangling in the air mean food whereas lines and bags of “natural/neutral” color make it harder for Yogi to identify the specific source of that delicious smell. Rangers out west have witnessed bears zeroing in on brightly colored line as the key to getting that food bag out of the trees. For the past 2 years I have used the 2.2mm Dark Gray Z-line and the Zpacks olive drab roll-top food bag and am very satisfied.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I agree, get natural colors brown, dk red, black, etc for best results. Bright florescent colors do NOT show up without a source of UV, though. So, a bear cannot see fluorescent colors at night. “DayGlow” is actually true. Reflective stuff in a line is bad, avoid it. But, you need to remember where you put the damn thing or you can loose it till morning. Squirrels often build nests with dead leaves and twigs in them. So, you can just use any red, orange or brown color for bear bags. From the ground, it just looks like another squirrel nest.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Where is Bob Gross ?  He always had opinions and views on bear bagging techniques.

Jon J.
    Spectator

@jonwjessop

Locale: Toledo

Thanks for all the input guys! It’s weird, reading older threads there were several recommendations for Zing-it as a bear bag line, but now it seems to be regarded as a sub-par choice for this application. Anyway, I finally just decided to buy 50′ of the Lawson Ultraglide Bear Line as a dedicated bear bag cord, and also added 50′ of Lawson’s Ironwire Spectra Fusion to my order to serve as a general purpose/backup cord (but I may not take all 50′ in my pack). I also already have a couple extra guy lines for my shelter. I think that should take care of my basic needs pretty well. Thanks again!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools