Topic

Duomid XL back wall angle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Duomid XL back wall angle

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

Trying to choose between Duomid and XL version for 1 person and a dog purposes! Whatever shelter I buy, I want to be able to pitch it tight to the ground. But I’m not sure how the angle between the back wall and the ground compares for both shelters, given that XL is higher at the peak but “sloppier” due to the asymmetry. Has anyone done a measurement by any chance? :)

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

Not a real answer to your question, but a Locus Gear Khufu pitches closer to the ground then a Duomid.

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

I’ve noticed from the pictures posted by others, that more recent Duomids appear to have less aggressive catenary cut, but I’m planning to ask Ron about this anyway.

I’ve entered the dimensions of the mids (including Supermid at the back) in Sketchup and here’s the result, the XL’s back appears to have definitely narrower angle….

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

How big is your dog?

The regular Duomid has plenty of unobstructed space for me and my 60lb pooch when pitched with trekking poles (and pole jacks) in the inverted V style, and it pitches all the way to the ground, no problem.

Not my best pitch ever in the photo (nighttime and snowing when pitching!), but you get the idea. I’m 5’9″ and there’s plenty of headroom.

I can’t leave it with the above pitch… this is much better!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Yeah the duomid is pretty darned perfect for me and my 80# pup.  LOVE IT.  Of course, I’m 5’7″, but PLENTY big for the two of us.

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Thanks think I’ll go with a Duomid! Was momentarily tempted by extra space and height of the XL, but unnecessary really.

Bob your pictures are great, the second one actually shows there is not much catenary cat in Duomids these days it seems (which is good, one can still put it higher if necessary, but also low to the ground to eliminate spindrift…)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Yep, I think the design is pretty dialed in. I’ve only pitched it a little higher a couple of times — and then only 2-3 inches — but it was totally fine.

This primarily my winter tent, and also very early spring and late fall. Other times I use the Duplex because I simply cannot stand bugs bothering me while in my shelter.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The DuoMid XL does have the benefit that you could leave the door open in light rain and have a usable vestibule. It would also make for a drier entry and exit. Not sure if that’s worth the extra weight or larger space to pitch though – depends on where you hike

Bob – what kind of sleeping pad setup does your dog use for snow camping? I carry a shortened Ridgerest Deluxe for my dog for winter, but it’s super bulky and I’ve been wanting to find a more compact solution

Sean B
    BPL Member

@studlintsean

Not sure if this helps anymore than Bob’s comment but here is my 75lb dog in my Duomid. I have plenty of room to setup my pad in the back and his pad in the front corner. I bought this tent for the purpose of 1+ dog and I couldnt be happier.

John- I recently purchased a XS Thermarest Prolite for my dog to use. I was using a Ridgerest cut down in the past but he is getting a bit older so I opted for more comfort for him.  Here is the link for it (I bought used). http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/prolite/product

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Thanks, Sean. I already own a Prolite XS so that is an easy idea to try

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Bob – what kind of sleeping pad setup does your dog use for snow camping? I carry a shortened Ridgerest Deluxe for my dog for winter, but it’s super bulky and I’ve been wanting to find a more compact solution

I currently use an old piece of yellow 1/2″ Evazote for my dog, although in the photo I was testing a product called Noble Camper. Very nice piece of kit for him, but a bit bulky and too heavy at 28 oz. He’s about to get a cut-down Neoair xlite shortie which should be ready for our next trip in a couple of weeks.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

My dog used the Prolite XS this weekend. It worked out well. I didn’t cover or protect the pad with anything. She seemed to sleep quite comfortably on it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools