Topic

Bugproof clothing, how to tell if the weave is tight enough?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bugproof clothing, how to tell if the weave is tight enough?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Colas Le Porc
    BPL Member

@colas

Hello people

I’m looking at solutions for bugproof clothing since I will be in Norway’s arctic regions next June.

I’m looking for non chemical solutions (no permethrin or DEET) more like long sleeve shirt and pants.

I often read about “thightly woven” fabrics, but how do you recognize those ? Supposing you have the fabric in your hands, is there a way to tell how bite resistant it will be ?

I’ve heard that people had complete bug protection in the arctic with fabrics like Fjallraven’s cotton/polyester blend (35/65%, they call these “G 1000”, but it’s pretty expensive stuff)

I have a light nylon button up shirt, but I couldn’t say if the weave is tight or not. I could go and see if they bite me, but if they do it’s a looooong month ahead…

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Colas……I have use the SAWYER SOAKING product on long sleeved cotton/nylon shirts and long pants and it works for mosquitoes, biting flies and ticks found in Upper Michigan & Canada.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/03502/s-insect_protection/-Sawyer-Permethrin-Soak-Treatment-Kit-</span&gt;

YouTube video

If the above method is not to your liking give this SAWYER product a try:

https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/</span&gt;

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Tightly woven would be pretty much any button up nylon hiking shirt or fishing shirt.

Knit type weaves used on baselayers isn’t bug proof.

A windshirt is also bugproof.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Colas Le Porc
    BPL Member

@colas

Thank you, yeah I know a little about permethrin treatments, but I’d like to avoid them if possible.

I also read this article from Andrew’s blog, for himself he uses factory impregnated shirts, but he seems to report (from the group he took to Alaska) that a good woven shirt will be just as effective for repelling bites.

So it’s the phrase “tightly woven” that I keep reading, I didn’t know what to make of it.

“Tightly woven would be pretty much any button up nylon hiking shirt or fishing shirt.”

Great :) So the fabric weight isn’t really a concern ? It’s true that windshirts are bugproof and very light, I was thinking of getting one for this purpose in case the shirt is not enough. But then it would have to be super breathable, it’s hard to find the right one !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools