Topic

Bear Spray

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Do people carry bear spray on the AT? Is it a necessary thing? Up in Minnesota, I don’t bother. Only seen one bear in all the years I have been hiking.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

It’s not necessary, unless you feel the extra 10 or 12 ozs is worth the piece of mind it gives you or family. Black bears are generally pretty timid on the AT. There are a couple of problem areas such as around Dick’s Creek in Georgia where a canister is required although most just hike right thru this short section as it’s only a few miles.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Thanks for both posts JimmyJam. I really didn’t want to carry the extra weight. I’m kind of a gram weinnie. Also, the website you gave me looks like just the ticket.? Thanks

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

When you’re hiking solo on the AT, if you’re lucky, you might see a black bear in the Smokeys or in the SNP. Generally they see you and run, or if you yell and clap your hands they run. I have only had one stand her ground and that was a momma bear in the SNP near Black Rock where somehow I got between her and her 3 cubs. She did not like it and neither did I, she crouched down on the trail ahead of me (cubs now behind her) and would not move, I slowly did a 90 degree turn off trail and bushwacked way around her.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bringing bear spray on the AT is like bringing a Bazooka or long range sniper rifle/scope to an old Western gun fight–a bit over done.

(course, now that i’ve said that, i’ll get viciously attacked by a black bear at some point…)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I think bear spray isn’t necessary here in Alaska since making noise weighs nothing and is more effective (better to never see a bear and need to spray a bear than even the best outcome from having to used spray).

And where there are no dangerous animals (Grizzlies, polar bears), why bother with spray? Shout at it, throw a rock, or, my favorite – run at it while shouting and throwing rocks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools