Topic

A6300 and f2.8 glass announced

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography A6300 and f2.8 glass announced

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Well Sony has added the two features that would compel me to buy an upgraded Sony APS-C mirrorless, 4k and a a higher resolution EVF.  I think the A6000 was priced below fair market value to entice people to invest into their ecosystem, and now they are coming in for the kill with a camera priced on par with the D7200.

A6300

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

Both of these are good to hear, although my guess is that the 70-200 2.8, which I’d love to have for shooting my son’s sports,  is going to be beyond my price range. I’ll probably be upgrading from the NEX-5R to the 6300.

Edit: Sony says that the 6300 will be able to use all of its phase detection AF points with adapted A-mount lenses. Slow AF speed was the biggest negative I’d heard from those using A-mount Sigma and Tamron lenses with the A6000. This may open the door to me using one of their fast 70-200’s for sports or one of their longer lenses for wildlife.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

This is certainly a great step forward for Sony.  I just listened to one of their “Artisans” say that the weight and size of the 70-200 f2.8 will be indistinguishable from the f4 version.  If that’s true, then WOW!

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

After weighing many options, and being that my son’s have sporting events coming up that I want to use it on, I went ahead and ordered the A6300. I can use the lenses that I currently have for the NEX-5r.

I also ordered a Metabones Speed Booster (to adapt Canon EF lenses) and a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC for shooting sports. The reviews on the A6300 are saying that it focuses extremely fast now through adapters, whereas the A6000 couldn’t use phase detection through the adapter and focused very slowly, although I also heard that that may have been addressed in the A6000 in the latest firmware update. I chose the Tamron because it rated alongside the Canon and Nikon in image quality, and I can’t afford either of those at the moment. According to reviews, the Tamron falls a bit shy of the Canon in terms of focus speed, but still does OK and gets very good reviews overall. It was also within my budget at less than 1/2 the price of the Canon and 1/3 the price of the new Sony. (I found the Tamron on Amazon sold as used, but described as unopened, in the original box, and with warranty. It’s not the international version either, which sold for about that same price new). If I find that its not quite adequate, I can sell it and get something else when I can afford it. Either way, all of the 70-200 2.8’s are far too heavy to take hiking and I will not be including it in my trail kit.

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

Just picked up an A6300 yesterday along with the 10-18mm and the original silver 18-200mm. Will be fun to play with and make for a decent lower weight kit with some range. Now to just decide if I should pick up a rokinon 12mm for it or just bring along my Samsung nx500 with its rokinon 12mm

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools