Topic

Weight versus Warmth

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Weight versus Warmth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

First, this probably isn't the kind of question you were thinking it is. I'm in a bit of a predicament here, and I wanted to get some feedback from folks and see what folks thought of my reasoning.

I have two sleep systems. Both use the same pad (currently), so it's really a discussion of bags/quilt. First is a Kelty Lightyear 45D bag (45* rating and 31 ounces). The second is a GoLite Fur (20* rating and 29 ounces). I got good deals on both of these here on BPL, but now I'm kind of stuck with what to do.

Next weekend, I'll be on an overnight trip on the Pine Mountain Trail. The low's only expected to get to 51 (it's not your typical mountain weather there, let me tell you). Even though I know ratings usually suck, I've taken the Kelty down that far before with no problems. However, I can't help but think the GoLite will be to warm, which could lead to problems in and of itself.

Now, for the longest time, I'd been planning on taking the GoLite due to weight, but now that I've got a better idea of the weather, I'm thinking it might be better to go a couple of ounces heavier and not risk sweating during the night.

What say you all?

Tom
    Who thinks this will be so much better when he gets his FF 40* quilt :D

Eric St. Mary

@ewsews

I'd just use the lighter bag as a blanket/quilt and kick my feet out as necessary.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I'd just use the lighter bag as a blanket/quilt and kick my feet out as necessary.

Ditto that thought and expanding on it a bit, in addition to legs … head, hands, forearms all make good heat exchangers that can be left outside a too warm quilt to regulate the temp for the rest of you.

That is except that I find that I tend to get woke up sooner by cold toes, fingers and nose than by arms, legs and rest of face so I usually wear light knit socks and gloves when doing that. Bill Fornshell's foot cozies would be great for that. Now what I really need to do is make one of those nose cozies featured in someone's avatar quite a while back.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I concur. The GoLite will be lighter, warmer if it gets colder than you expect and, when used as a quilt, you should be able to remain comfortable.
    I'm curious though. You state, "Who thinks this will be so much better when he gets his FF 40* quilt." Won't you still be in much the same dilemma for the same temps (except for the weight factor, of course)?

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

The 40* quilt would be lighter and cooler than the GoLite, so it would easily be a no-brainer in my mind.

I appreciate the input from everyone. I'm just concerned about being able to cool off enough with the quilt without getting chilled. Oh well, it's only an overnight, so no big deal either way. It's not like it'll be freezing anyways.

Thanks again.

Tom

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

The FF Quilt just arrived. It's in great shape with full loft. Weighs in at 1 lb 8.6oz, the stuff sack is 1.4oz. This is my first quilt experience, so I'm really glad to be trying it out for the next few weeks. I'm a little skeptical about the lack of straps. I may bring some gator clipped straps (teeth covered to protect the silnylon) as a further test.

Anyway, it's definitely what you wanted last weekend. I'll try to avoid eating beans before handing the quilt off to you. HA!

cheers,
    -Michael

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

>Anyway, it's definitely what you wanted last weekend. I'll try to avoid eating beans before handing the quilt off to you. HA!

Oh please do avoid it! If not, I'll eat beans before sending you money!

Oh wait, then I'm still the one that suffers. That sucks ;)

And my trip isn't until Saturday, so you've still got time to overnight it to me :D

Tom

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

"Oh please do avoid it! If not, I'll eat beans before sending you money!"

WHAT!?!? Are you threatening to turn my green backs into brown backs?

Overnight? Are you sure your wife will have your allowance ready by then? ;?P

-michael

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

>Overnight? Are you sure your wife will have your allowance ready by then? ;?P

Now that you mention it….not really ;P

Tom

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Yo Tom,

I got real cozy with the FF this weekend and gathered the specs for an MYOG quilt project. I don't need to keep it around any longer. Let me know when yer ready with the funds and I'll ship it out. $90

-Michael

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Sweet! It'll be another week or so, but I'll Paypal it to you as soon as I'm able.

Please try and get rid of the brown stains first though ;P

Tom

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

That's one of them lines that could ruin a sale..lmao.

"Anyway, it's definitely what you wanted last weekend. I'll try to avoid eating beans before handing the quilt off to you. HA!"

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools