Topic

how much would you spend to save weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) how much would you spend to save weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    cj miller
    Spectator

@suppafreaky

how much would you spend to save 1 oz? 1 lb? etc. at what cost do you go to save weight?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Sometimes, I can talk myself out of spending $x to save an ounce. But then, other times, that new shiny object is just so irresistible that I would spend $xxx just to save half an ounce! Sexy is priceless. :)

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

At this point, nothing. My 3-season base weight is right around 11LB and I'm really comfortable with that. It includes "luxuries" like a Kindle, camera, a pot *and* a mug, change of clothes and a "real" shelter. When I'm looking at new gear, I'm looking to improve functionality at the same weight; I won't buy it just to save weight. For instance, I replaced my 30deg bag with a 20deg one at the same weight.

I think the only reason I would seriously consider spending big money to shave more weight is if I was planning a long hike that added a lot of weight from consumables that I felt I needed to compensate for. The longest trip I've packed at this base weight was 8 days and I managed to keep the trailhead weight at right around 30lb. I really don't want to much heavier than that.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I won't buy it just to save weight"

Where is the fun in that?

Once in a while I will spend some money to save an ounce or two, because that allows me to carry an ounce or two more in photographic gear. I mean, you can never have too many batteries and memory cards.

–B.G.–

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’ve dropped quite a bit of pack weight since I started this BPL adventure around 10 years ago, and at first the decisions were easy. Replace old 6lb tent with a Tarptent Contrail? Save 4+ pounds for $199? Duh! But now that my kit is pretty well dialed in for my style of backpacking (my typical base weight is around 15lbs) it’s harder to overcome my cost/benefit mentality.

Such as… I could go the Steripen or Sawyer Squeeze route for water purification, replacing my MSR Sweetwater rig and saving 6-8oz, but the Sweetwater is easy to use, sucks up from the smallest trickle, has never failed me, it’s got a lifetime warranty, and I have a spare filter cartridge sitting in my gear closet too, so is the weight savings alone enough of a motivation to switch? Hmmm. I did a 55 mile loop in Olympic National Park last September and carrying that extra 6-8oz didn’t impact my enjoyment of the route in any way, so maybe I’ll stick with the Sweetwater. It works.

I guess that means I’m cheap, or sentimental, or stupid, but I’ve gone through a couple waves of gear lightening and I’m OK with where I’m at now. As items wear out I’ll certainly be looking for the lightest acceptable replacement, but I’m past the point of buying gear just because it’ll save a couple ounces.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

my limit is generally $10 / gram.

but more or less depending on how much I like the replacement item.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I have Dissatisfaction Syndrome. I get a new (insert gear item here), use it in the field, and quickly realize all its shortcomings. Then a newer, lighter thing comes along, and since I'm so dissatisfied with the one I have, I figure — let's try this new one; it sounds SO much better! This is getting expensive.

Since exceptions prove the rule: I am perfectly satisfied with my WM sleeping bags, so nothing really tempts me on that score.

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

One way to focus the question is the spec sheets at Enlightened Equipment. For the different versions of the same L/W/temp-rating, there seems to be no real trade-off other than cost / ounce, which works out to about $100 per ounce of weight savings.

You want a 30-degree quilt, say (regular L, regular W). Do you pay $235 for the 17-ounce version, or do you pay $365 for the 15.7-ounce version?

IMO, only a number-fetishist would consider paying $100/ounce.

The numbers aren't what I find sexy, but I'm not judging. I'll overpay for this or that item, if it seems cool. Or spend a lot of time on a forum such as this, trying to figure things out, an investment that is very unlikely to be economical.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"IMO, only a number-fetishist would consider paying $100/ounce."

Yes, but how many people will pay $3.53 per gram?

–B.G.–

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

theres usually other desirable properties at stake besides just weight

The lower the base weight gets, the harder and more $$$ it can cost though. At some point, it requires switching to cuben and high quality dead geese. $50/oz isnt unusual.

What else you gonna spend money on?? cigarettes and beer?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

My divorce cost around $550 if I remember correctly. Saved me about 105 pounds or so. What's that work out to?

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

"My divorce cost around $550 if I remember correctly. Saved me about 105 pounds or so. What's that work out to?"

Man, you got off cheap. Was that $550 to have her killed?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Uncontested back in 1984. In North Carolina.

So my 1984 wasn't like 1984…. (cue woman swinging a hammer into a video screen…)

Edit to add: and as you can probably guess, she got the better end of the deal. She was terrific, I was a total jerk.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

"she got the better end of the deal"

Plus she saved more weight per dollar. (I'm assuming you didn't weigh 105 lbs, or less, in 1984)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Doug probably hasn't weighed 105 pounds since he was about seven years old.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Doug probably hasn't weighed 105 pounds since he was about seven years old."

Actually I was a real short, skinny kid til around 10 or 11. I think it was the pot that made me taller and fat.

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

At this point I have sub-10lb setups. So its taking $100 to save a large portion of a pound.

I rarely justify it just on that. It will be part of a larger decision. But I always look at weight and costs together.

I also try to sell or repurpose the replaced gear. I have a full setup in the 12lb range for loaning to friends new to backpacking.

The cheaper overall plan is to go without until you can afford the lightest version, but sometimes that isn't fun.

But if i buy a several hundred $ version of something I already own, there better be a pound saved.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I'd currently spend $500 or more to save a pound. As I get older (currently 70) lightweight gear becomes more and more valuable to me so this figure will continue to rise over time.

When I was 25 years old the number was much lower because weight was not such an important issue.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I don't look exclusively at weight anymore. I kind of bounced off a bottom pack weight when I was chasing weight as the holy grail and now my base weight is headed back north.

If you spend all your time here you will likely start to overemphasize the importance of weight. The reality is everything is a balancing act. You have to put the right priority on the function, longevity and personal preference on what you buy and use.

For me… a pound of pack weight doesn't make that big of a difference for my standard hikes. I'm under 18-20 lbs with a fully loaded pack and I find that a comfortable weight to carry.

Kenneth Keating
    BPL Member

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

I’m around 11 pounds base weight. At this point, saving ounces really doesn't matter compared to my recommended BMI weight. In other words, why spend hundreds of dollars saving a few ounces when with proper eating and dieting I can save pounds plus save money by not having to buy equipment. Of course it’s not as easy as it sounds. Also, I don’t try to plan any backpacking trips after the holidays!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools