Topic

Quilt Kits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Quilt Kits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Rosenberger

@kyler55

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

I am interested in making my own synthetic quilt. Does any one have any suggestions on good kits or plans to use? I want to make something warm enough for about 20 degrees. Are these very difficult to produce?

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

if you want a kit with directions and all, Ray Jardine has a good kit on his site. I made one a few years ago and it works great, except I made it a bit too narrow as I'm a side sleeper. However, you can't get Momentum through Jardine, just the light nylon he has.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

check out thru-hiker.com for kits and materials

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I too had great luck with a RayWay two-person quilt kit. Fairly easy to make, clear instructions, etc. A bit tricky to sew through the thickest layers of insulation, but I managed. The split-zip is great…we each carry half the quilt.

So far we've only used it down to 40 degrees, where it worked quite well. I think we got the "alpine upgrade" version. Anyway, my wife an I are very happy with it.

Note…draft stoppers are essential, on the RayWay quilt and on any other quilt, unless it somehow tucks under you.

shannon stoney
    Spectator

@shannonstoney

I love my rayway two person quilt so much that I use it all the time in the winter. agreed about the draft stopper being essential. We didn't make the little hoods though.

Kyle Rosenberger

@kyler55

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

I think I might give one of those a try, thanks for all the help. I will be sure to go with the draftstoppers as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools