Topic

Mapping software

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Clayton

@kclayton

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

For my PCT attempt next summer I would like to get more adequate maps then what I have in the wilderness press guide books. I dont no were to start because buying individual maps would cost a fortune.
    What is the best way to get maps for each section of trail?
    Is there any software out there for USGS maps for the PCT?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Kevin –

The following links aren't in regards to specific software but they will give you some one possible approach. The following links both access high-resolution .tif files of all the USGS topo maps.

USGS Store – Digital File Download

Libre Map Project – Free Maps and GIS data

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Kevin, the sources that Sam mentions give you good, high res images of the USGS source maps. If you want more mapping function then a lot of us here have used the National Geographic Topo! state series mapping software. It's published for CA, OR, and WA. With a quick look on google, I found each for $80. I've seen better deals before on eBay. It's not necessarily cheap. You can check out the software reviews elsewhere on bpl.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

There are no cheap options, but there are a couple options for 1:24K (7.5 minute) seamed USGS maps.

National Geograpic Topo! for each of WA, OR, & CA would total $300 retail.

Delorme TopoQuads for each of WA, Western OR, Northern CA, & Southern CA would total $400 retail.

The best functionality would come with GIS software. You can find most of the data you need for free, but the applications are several hundred dollars, and take an Associates Degree to run.

charlie babbage

@babbage

expertgps.com

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

the guidebook maps look awful but they're much better than they look like. Once I got used to the spartan, black & white representation, I wouldn't think about it anymore and just read the maps normally. Terrain representation is ok and the trail depiction is very good, much better than for example on the Tom Harrison maps which I was carrying through the High Sierra in addition to the guidebook. The TS maps look so much nicer and are easier to read at first sight but they've got basically the same info as the guidebook ones, all the info is there, just a bit harder to read (at first sight). And when we wanted to locate the trail after a snowy section, we'd always check the much more precise guidebook maps.

The basic problem I still see with the them is the tunnel vision they give. Sometimes it may be hard to map the terrain around you because your best reference may be off the map and potential scape routes will probably be off map too.

I know this is not the advise you were asking for but I mention because I thought they'd be a pain to use and went with them to save me the hassle to eventually find I liked them. Then I guess not everybody does.

Dave T

@davet

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

hey, I have never thru-hiked the PCT, but I plan to in a few years.

What I have been thinking, is that for most of the trail, the guidebooks will be adequate for maps, but… in the high sierra, and possibly in oregon and washington, depending on the snow levels that year, I will add in more detailed maps, and a GPS for in the sierras.

most trails are not that difficult to follow with a smaller map, but when there is going to be snow covering my route, I will opt for more navigational equipment.

Kevin Clayton

@kclayton

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

Thankyou for the input. I will probable just stick with the guide book maps now. I was concerned of entering unfamiliar terrain with out wider maps could pose issues. but coupled with the good descriptions in the book they should be adequate. I'll continue watching the snow pack to see if I should get some better maps.
    Thanks dave for the resupply data.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

In the past on walks in Australia, I have sometimes taken smaller scale maps, like 1:250,000, for the purpose of being able to ID features (mountains, ranges) in the distance (not for nav, just for interest sake), and also for escape routes. You can add more features or notes to the 1:250k maps, if you want, ie key intersections, etc, though in SA I find that they have plenty of the features required anyway.

South Australians use 1:50k maps almost exclusively for bushwalking navigation. Our Heysen Trail comes in 2 A5 guide books with strip maps aswell at 1:50k scale, so I know the pain of not being able to see/nav off the map.

Alternatively you can make notes on the edges of your strip maps (if not already there), with appx directions and distances to features or escape routes. Eg Mountain Peak MN132, 5.2km from Big Peak. Or Rocky town-follow rd for 5km, then bakers rd for 2km on left.

you get the picture. This can take some serious effort and pre-planning and thinking ahead though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools