Topic

Overnighter at cone peak and spring camp in Ventana

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Overnighter at cone peak and spring camp in Ventana

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Me and a friend drove to the end of cone peak road via Nacimiento rd. From there we hiked the coast ridge trail almost to where it met the Gamboa trail. We took a small trail to the West and hiked along a beautiful ridge, southward, all the way to cone peak. The look out is beautiful but we didn't want to camp next to the building so we hiked down to Trail spring camp. The trail was clear to the camp and you have to walk along a dry creek bed for a little while and back to the trail to get to the camp. It started getting dark so we put on our head lights. We made it to camp, had dinner and slept in our bivies on a clear night. Around 3:30am we woke to the sound of what we thought was a lion. It was making a crying growl about every 2-3 minutes. We never saw it but it sounded close. I was glad to be with a buddy. We fell back to sleep and awoke around 7:00 made breakfast and bushwacked up Gamboa trail back to Coast ridge trail. Gamboa trail is pretty overgrown but passable. Then back to the Jeep. What an exciting weekend. The ridge we walked was a huge short cut and so beautiful. Overall highlights were the ridge walk, the lion, and the Cone peak, in that order. The ridge has an old wire that leads most of the way. Maybe it was used for communication when the lookout building was being used. We called our trail the Wire ridge trail. Has anyone else ever gone that way?

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

wow that sounded fun. I actually took that identical trail a little while ago. Keep on rocking

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

Did you just answer your own post or are my meds off?

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

I thought someone might post something if it looked like someone else was interested. Just having a little fun.I like fun.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

okay, cool, I just kept rereading your name and going
    "no, wait, that's the same, that's the same,whaa?"
    sounds like a great trip by the way.

Dylan Taylor

@nevadas

Locale: California Coast

sounds like a cool trip. i was thinking of doing silver peak wilderness this weekend. solo. but then your little bit about the lion always makes me think twice. thats one of the bad things about bivies– your face is just right there for any little thing that wants to investigate. i like using a tarp of solo tent when by myself in lion or high bear areas. of course, i've had a couple encounters with lions in the sierras; they are scary and exhilirating(? too lazy to look up spelling) at the same time.

i like the vicente flat trailhead right in that area as well.
    big sur

o, and i like the reply to yourself as well.

big sur 2

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Great pics!! I have never done that trip and would love to do it this fall or spring!!!

Is this the central coast appreciaton society or what!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools