Topic

Suggestions for a year long Backpacking trip wanted.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Suggestions for a year long Backpacking trip wanted.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Locale: Europe

Hello,

me and my girlfriend are planning a year long backpacking trip(UL ofcourse)at various locations in the world. Most of the locations are sorted out but here and there I would love to hear some suggestions for places and treks from people who have actually been there.

The trip:

We will leave our home in the Netherlands at December 16. We will first go Vermont to visit family and do some winter hiking and climbing.

At Januari 5 we leave the US and go to New Zealand for 3 months. As i have been there before we know where to go and what to do.

At April 7 we will go to Australia where we will stay for 6 weeks of which 2 weeks we will spend in Tasmania.
    * As there are some BPL menbers from Australia maybe one of you has some good hiking suggestions in Tasmania (we are debating the Overland track but it looks costly, maybe there is a cheaper alternative) and on the mainland.

Around May 20 we will be back in Vermont to relax, do some hiking, buy a car and drive to the West where we plan to spend to travel around for 4 months. That means we will be there in July and August, the hottest and most busy (and expensive) months.
    * What are good places to go and hike without getting roasted, eaten alive by mosquitos and blackflies and where it is not to crowded (does such a place excist?).
    An alternative is to travel to Peru and Bolivia in July and August and then come back in September but that would mean we would have to buy an extra ticket as we plan to go to South America anyway.

After the States we will go to South America in October/November where we want to go to Peru, Bolivia Argentina and Chile and maybe some short stops in other countries as well.
    * As i have been in Patagonia before we will know where to go and what to do but if anyone has some good suggestions for treks in Peru and Bolivia that would be great.
    In total we will spend some 4 months in South America so all suggestions in that area are more than welcome.

If you have any suggestions, especially in the US please let me know, although we will be there for quite a long time there is so much to do and we have to be selective.

Thanks.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jeroen

> me and my girlfriend are planning a year long backpacking trip(UL ofcourse)at various locations in the world. Most of the locations are sorted out but here and there I would love to hear some suggestions for places and treks from people who have actually been there.
    The problem is you haven't specified exactly what you mean by 'backpacking'. Here in Australia where I live it means using hostels and accomodation like Gites and Refuges, but in America it can mean living in a tent.
    Equally, are you talking about walking on tracks like the French GRs, or off-track through wilderness (with few resupply options).

The Overland Track in Tasmania can charge a bit simply because it is so popular.

Cheers
    Roger

Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Hi Roger,

with backpacking i mean hiking or as the kiwi's call it tramping. We are mostly looking for established treks from 2 to 7 days. As we will be "UL backpacking" (or hiking) we are mostly a little faster than regular guide book times.

Tasmania looks really fascinating, but i wonder if there is a good alternative to the Overland track. Or maybe it is worth what they are charging (although i still think it is expensive..in Europe we are not used to pay for hiking treks). As I said we will spend 2 weeks there so there should be plenty of opportunity to do at least one goog hike.

As for the rest of Australia, there looks to be some good hiking opportunities at the East side between Sidney and Melbourne. I really would like to see the Australian mountains (Blue Mountains, Victorian Alps?).

Ofcourse we will be tourist as well and everybody is telling us to visit the outback so beside Tasmania all options are open.

So if you have any good recommendations about hikes or specific Australian gear needs i would love to hear from you.

Cheers
    Jeroen

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

OK, then for East coast of Oz:
    Australian Alpine Walking Trail (30-40 days, needs food drops, but rather good, can be subsetted)
    Hume & Hovell Trail (not as Alpine, shorter)
    Great South West Walk (coastal, but fascinating)
    Blue Mts – various shorter tracks

Central Australia
    Larapinta Trail (utterly different, incredible, ONLY attempt in mid-winter!)

Western Australia
    Bibbenluke (I do not know this trail, I only know of it)

Tasmania
    Overland
    South Coast region (but I strongly recommend against doing this without prior experience of Tasmania)

Guide books exist for these trails (except South Coast).
    Apart from Overland and Western Aus, almost all bushwalking here is done by tent. We do not have Gites or Refuges at all.

Cheers

Chris Nott
    Spectator

@chrisn

Locale: Canada west coast

12 years ago, I did both the Overland and the South Coast trails. The Overland was quite popular and you are sure to meet several groups every day. There's a number of side trips (Mt Cradle, Barn Bluff, Windermere Falls(?), Ossa, Pelion, and the valley to the SW of Ossa that I can't remember the name of) which are fun. The South Coast is a lot quieter so you can go a whole day without meeting anyone and there is fewer side trips (tho I still regret not going to Loisa Bay). I don't think it is too rough or dangerous. Prior to my trip there, the sum total of my hiking was a couple overnight trips and I never felt worried. Expect rain and mud and you will be fine. At the time, the flight into Melaleuca cost about $AU90 one way. If I were to go again, I might do the Western Arthurs or make up my own off-trail trip to the west and north of Melaleuca – lots of nice open country to explore.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Jeroen,

I walked the Overland track about 5 years ago it is a great walk that is well worth doing, we experienced snow and ice, pouring rain, strong winds and brilliant sunshine. The Track fees only apply between November 1 to 30 April, outside these times all you need is a parks pass. Out of season you can take between 5 and 14 days to complete. This is the Overland Track web site, http://www.overlandtrack.com.au/index.html

Busses drop off and pick up daily at track ends in walking season but only 2 or 3 times per week in off-season. We did the trip in October and my walking partner booked our flights with only a five day time limit it was too short and it did not line up with the busses it cost us $500 in taxi fares to get to the start and be picked up at the finish.

A great Blue Mountains walk is Katoomba to Mittagong

The Alpine track Tharwa (Canberra) to Mt Kosciuzko (Thredbo) is worth a look and has transport at each end.

South Australia’s Northern Flinders Ranges around Wilpena pound there are two long distant trails, Mawson and Heysen trails which are outstanding walking and can be walked in sections.

I hope this is of some help.

Tony

Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Thanks all,

the Overland Track will definitely be in, probably in May, saves us Aus$300,- on fees. Quite a lot of money if you will be gone for a year.

We only have a total of six weeks in Australia so we will have to limit or trekkings to the shorter ones (less than one week) so there is no time for long distance trails.

I will look into your other suggestions.

Thanks for the beta.

Jeroen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools