Topic

Outer shell for son

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Outer shell for son

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Scott Matson
    Spectator

@mrsamman

I need a waterproof outer shell for my 12yr old son. He has a Patagonia down sweater jacket and was wondering if I can get an outer jacket to go over it for snow skiing and wetter conditions? If so what budget conscious brands to look at?
    Thanks
    Scott

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Marmot Precip comes to mind. The shell over down for active use may be overkill unless you are in very cold conditions (which won't be wet). The down/shell combo would be fine for rest stops and camp. A shell plus a fleece would be my choice for more active stuff.

There are all kinds of 2.5 layer rain shells. LL Bean, REI, Cabela and others have their house brands that would work. With a kid that age and growing, getting more that a couple years use would be a surprise. I would buy what is on sale.

What size does he wear?

Scott Matson
    Spectator

@mrsamman

The Patagonia jacket is 14/16 and fits him great. So any lined thick rain jacket shell will be fine? 2.5 is that the thickness of the material? I am looking for used if I know exactly what in looking for. Luckily I have a 9yr son also that can wear it in a couple of years.
    Thanks for the help.
    Scott

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Do a google search on rain gear fabrics to get it all, but the "2.5" refers to the fabric layers and that is a typical lightweight rain shell construction. One layer being the nylon shell, the next layer is the waterproof breathable membrane coated on the inside, and the ".5" is the printed protective over layer to help extend the life of the membrane. A 3-layer shell has a fabric layer bonded over the inside of the membrane, adding expense, weight and stiffness.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear.html has some good illustrations.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools