Topic

Time to buy a windshirt–hooded or no hood?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Time to buy a windshirt–hooded or no hood?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

Locale: Land of Toto

I'm torn between the Montbell UL Wind Jacket (no hood, 2.6 oz) and Montbell UL Wind Parka (hooded, 3.3 oz).

First, kudos to this site–nowhere on the Montbell site does it say the Parka has a hood. You can kind of see one, but it's not clear. Someone in the forums here mentioned the hood. I guess that's what Montbell means by saying "full coverage".

Are there any other differences between these two wind shirts? I can't see any.

I already have a Marmot Precip with a hood for rain. So technically, I don't really need a hood. But for .7 oz, it would be nice to just put the hood up and leave the Precip in the pack for light rain. Also, I go on "patrols"–long walks–with my dog with a lumbar pack. A hooded windshirt would be nice to stuff in the lumbar pack because the Precip doesn't make these trips.

You might ask, do you wear a hat? Yes, I have an OR sunhat, but it is very light and I doubt it is water repellent. I guess I could treat it, but I don't know how well it would work.

So, you guys that carry wind AND water gear (I assume the big-time UL/SUL types use wind gear for both), do you carry two hoods? A hat and a hood?

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I use a GoLite Ether. At 3.5 oz. I carry it almost all the time.

Layered over a micro-fleece shirt most of the time it is all I need to ski/snowshoe.

I use the hood mostly for sleeping and layer it over a balaclava. If you sleep with a quilt you will appreciate the hood.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

A hooded windshirt requires fewer clothing adjustments while on the move, is warmer as part of practically any sleep system, and is generally more versatile. I appreciate a hoody regardless of raingear choices. I still take either a sun cap or a wool beanie. They do work nicely in winter, too. For snowshoeing I usually prefer my montane litespeed to a schoeller softshell.

For these benefits I just suffer the added weight of two hoods, valiantly when possible… :)

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

those sul types you mentioned usually pair a hooded windshirt with a ponch tarp rather than simply wear a wind layer in the rain (they are fanatical certainly, but not enamored to hypothermia)

I have to second a hood. I find that my hooded windshirt is a lot more versatile than one without, in terms of water resistance and warmth.

I use an old golite bark. Not the lightest or the best designed (bad pocket placement) but it cost me $20, so I can't complain.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

For me I would use a Montane Lite Speed combined with a Cocoon UL 60 Hoody for warmth and function. If you are heading to colder climates then take a look at the Nunatak Skaha Plus.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I don't like hoods much, but they are handy and don't get lost or blown over the cliff edge. Visibilty is the biggest issue for me– nothing is appreciated more than a well designed hood. I just love turning my head to see the inside of my hood rather than the danger headed my way. They don't add much weight to a windshirt and they do seal your neck as well as your head. Keeps the bugs and sun off too.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Charles, IMO every shell should have a hood. For the small addition in weight it reduces heat loss, blocks blowing dust and rain. For example, last month I climbed to the summit of Fujisan in classic windshirt conditions; cool weather, light rain, and high winds using only a base layer and my Patagonia Houdini windshirt, zipped tight around my face. Without a hood I think I would have had to take out my rainshell to keep my head warm and dry. Incidently, a ball cap is great under the hood to block sun and rain.
    Montbell is for the most part good stuff; I have many of their items; go with the parka.
    classic windshirt conditions

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

The dimensions of the parka compared to the jacket are almost the same.

I bet the ball cap helps the hood turn with your head…I'll have to try that.

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

There is a ton of positive feedback about this jacket on this site. It weighs a bit more (3.7 oz vs 3.3 oz for the MontBell Wind Parka), but I can't get over all the gushing feedback.

Plus, the Houdini is available from a lot more sites, and for a bigger discount (although it has a higher starting price).

Hmmm.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Keep us posted on the discount on the Hoidini Charles.

A lot of us would snap them up if they were cheap enough.

Rod

(Or else, I've got a Marmot Ion if anyone wants to trade??) ;>)

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

I think always always go for a hood if you can afford the extra money they are. Also they usually scrap together a full or at least large zip, the 1/4 size is pretty much only used for making the windshirt louder more than anything.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools