Topic

Momentum 20 degree quilt 16 oz.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Momentum 20 degree quilt 16 oz.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mark henley

@flash582

Sorry … can't find the camera. I think my boy took it off to college ;(

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/7971/index.html

The above thread has pictures of a 40 degree quilt that looks just like this one (except blue). The difference is that I made mine oversized (57 inches wide by 84 inches long) and added a second layer of xp on the lower portion (goes up to my chest). When wearing my High Loft pullover this gives me a clo that takes me down to the low 20's.

I carry the high loft pullover anyway, so this gives me a highly moisture resistant 20 degree quilt for 16 oz.

I made it oversized so I would have plenty of extra material to tuck and to snuggle down into it. This, I'm hoping, makes a bivy un-necessary.

Mark

mark henley

@flash582

20 degree Momentum and XP quilt

Scott Jones

@ultimate2

I like the design. Wide enough to prevent the quilt slipping off, plus the ability to tuck the excess underneath. Well done.

Now only if someone would come up with air mattress or foam pad that is wide enough to rest your arms on.

mark henley

@flash582

I can agree with that!

My 20 inch pad just doesn't do it for me at night …. it's a constant battle to stay on the thing. I've been tempted to carry two pads and lay them side by side instead of one on top of the other.

mark henley

@flash582

So … I had a thought. If you took a nightlight 3/4 pad from gossamer gear and cut it in half, so you have two 20 X 29.5 inch sections, then trimmed each halve's width to 13 inches wide. Then if you duct tape the two trimmed halves together you end up with a torso length pad that is 29.5 inches long and 26 inches wide, at a weight of right around 5.5 oz.

I might give this a try … although the 3/4 inch pad just doesn't do it in the Hill Country of texas.

Scott Jones

@ultimate2

I think I found a solution on the NEMO Tent website. They have a tent that has a special pad sleeve which puts two pads together and snaps into the floor of the tent for a perfect fit. You can also use it with other tents, except the snap in part you would have to add yourself. I am just interested in getting the width to sleep on and this seems like the best alternative besides making a sleeve with a special cut of foam which could also be done at home.

mark henley

@flash582

This is certainly not SUL, but I thought it may just fit the bill you were looking for:

http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2007/index.cfm?action=product&productID=135&groupID=23&familyID=1

Scott Jones

@ultimate2

Thanks for the link. There is a retail store near where I live that might have it in stock. I will check tomorrow. I would rather take a weight penalty and be comfortable then go lighter and constantly have the partition in the back but nothing to support the arms.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

If your thinking about selling these, you should look into a post on the OR sleeping bag line up where a man by the first name Mike (I can't remember off the top of my head his last name, but he is also on the GVP gear SUL website page) talked about how quilts should have a top baffle that extends lengthwise and goes fully around the neck to stop drafts. As I approach the winter break I considering making this but as long as someone wants to go into business…

PS how roomy is your footbox designed, Im planning on making one that can fit some primaloft booties

mark henley

@flash582

I used a drawstring to control air around the neck area. It seems to work well.

I'm not planning on selling these at the moment …

And as for the roomyness of the footbox, I cut the bottom of the quilt to 40 inches wide … then fold and sew along the edge. I also add 10 to 12 inches to the length of the quilt.

This, for me, is the minimum size I would make a footbox. You can make it a bit larger by simply trimming the bottom of the quilt to a wider dimension.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

…look into a post on the OR sleeping bag line up where a man by the first name Mike…

Mike Maurer is the name you're trying to remember.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools